Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2017, 15:09   #16
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub
Re: B&G V50 VHF - change MMSI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulstue View Post
I beg your pardon? The problem is supposed to be that it's only a three channel watch?

I'm sorry, most of the devices have Dualwatch, 3Ch watch is fine. That's no surprise, as far as the Telecommunications Act is concerned. How many suppliers' devices offer more? Please name a few devices.

This thread is about a specific question about the B&G V50, I don't think you have one, but you just want to nag. Unfortunately without substance.
Just about every major 2-Meter ham radio handheld can be made to receive marine VHF frequencies and most can be programmed to scan an unlimited number of them, or selectively, to your liking. Also there are many older handheld VHF/UHF police/fire/public service scanners out there which can do this too.

Many or the older Radio Shack scanners are still around on Ebay and can be found for like $25-30
Such as the HTX-202. New Chinese 2M HTs cost less than $50 these days. Do some research and make sure they can be programmed to receive marine VHF first. Some might require simple mods like cutting a jumper, unsoldering balls on the board, or doing a hardware reset.

If you really, really want to scan more than just 3 marine VHF channels it isn't very difficult to find ways of doing it cheaply.

I do not own a V50 marine VHF but plan on buying one soon. The fact that it ony scans 3 channels is not a big deal to me. Most other radios in its class only have dual-scan.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 15:39   #17
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
I was given a B&G V50 to replace a defective SIMRAD version of the same radio, and it had been previously programmed with an MMSI. Through Navico, with some effort, I was given the instructions for reprogramming the radio. It is possible, and you'd never figure it out using logic.

However, after a SW update to my radio and remote handset, I have NEVER been able to get them to communicate. No amount of resetting the handset and telling it to pair with the base unit has worked. I am still looking for a solution.

While I love some of the features of this model of radio, I think it's buggy and that Navico hasn't figured out how to fix it. And I love B&G/Navico product, but the radio is problematic.

Chuck Hawley
I just noticed your name. Are you THE Chuck Hawley from the WestMarine videos, former V.P. of Product information?

If so, if you cant get information on how to get your radio working properly from Navico with the contacts you must surely have in the industry I might have to rethink my decision to buy a V50 and a matching remote handset.

The whole reason i am in the market for a new VHF is I found that our older Icom radio has a mistake in the MMSI number (mis-entered as it has a simple transceiption of 2 numbers) and the allowed resets have been used up. I think the prior owner had a bad day when he first programmed it years ago. I contacted Icom and they want a minimum 1-hour labor to reset the number plus paid postage, insured, both ways -so basically about $150 for a reset on a radio that retails for $199 at WesMarine. My next VHF will definitely NOT be an ICOM. The V50 looked like a neat radio to upgrade to...
Old 23-11-2017, 16:15   #18

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Just about every major 2-Meter ham radio handheld can be made to receive marine VHF frequencies and most can be programmed to scan an unlimited number of them, or selectively, to your liking. Also there are many older handheld VHF/UHF police/fire/public service scanners out there which can do this too.

Many or the older Radio Shack scanners are still around on Ebay and can be found for like $25-30
Such as the HTX-202. New Chinese 2M HTs cost less than $50 these days. Do some research and make sure they can be programmed to receive marine VHF first. Some might require simple mods like cutting a jumper, unsoldering balls on the board, or doing a hardware reset....
We're talking about marine radios. In most countries you have to register them. For this it has to be a certified device. Isn't that the case in the USA (or your country)?
In this way, I am curious to see which certified devices have more than 3Ch watch, so that this restriction speaks against marine radios from B&G. (Besides, what do you need it for?)

I don't want to take up the cudgels for B&G, just to set the facts straight.
Ulstue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 16:49   #19
Senior Cruiser

You can listen/recieve on any radio and any frequencies without special permissions or equipment from the government. At least that is true in the US. Maybe they have less freedoms in other countries to monitor radio frequencies that are going through your body anyhow. Sounds a bit tyrannical to me.

You can always tune to whatever particular channel you want with your marine VHF if you hear something you want to reply to, after your non-marine-approved scanner picks it up.
Old 24-11-2017, 02:16   #20

This surprises me, because on the other hand I have never heard of so many restrictions before for USA, e. g. about programming the MMSI in radios or AIS devices by oneself. In the manuals of my Radio for some functions it says: Not released for the USA/ banned in US waters.
An incorrectly adjusted device could intentionally or unintentionally disrupt the radio traffic of aviation, shipping, police, etc. massively. Therefore I am really surprised that in the USA every device is allowed to be used without certification on every channel.
Old 24-11-2017, 02:52   #21
Senior Cruiser

The US still doesn't mind most people using a receiver to monitor any traffic, even police and government frequencies. It is a transparency thing. As long as you dont push that transmit button there isn't going to be any issue,. Scanners can't even transmit as they only receive. Most ham radios can be programmed to receive-only on certain channels when you set them up so they will not transmit out of band ever. Many will only receive out of band but not transmit too. That is mostly to protect the radio as the circuitry can't handle the transmit power even if there was a good matching antenna installed. Receiving doesn't have that problem. If the antenna is not ideal it will only be a little deaf.

As for not being able to program and reprogram the MMSI numbers on marine VHF radios that is something new here in the USA. The whole country went retarded around 2001 after the 911 terrorist attack on the world trade center towers. We let the terrorists win with one single attack and have been destroying ourselves for them ever since. Shame, really. The millennials seem perfectly content to trade all of our long-cherished freedoms for a little bit false security theater.

Things seem to be going from bad to worse on that front from year to year IMHO. Plus the foreign policy has been all war all the time ever since. Not all us are war-mongers but it seems we can't reign them in and they have taken over both parties.
Old 24-11-2017, 05:09   #22

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
I beg your pardon? The problem is supposed to be that it's only a three channel watch?

I'm sorry, most of the devices have Dualwatch, 3Ch watch is fine. That's no surprise, as far as the Telecommunications Act is concerned. How many suppliers' devices offer more? Please name a few devices.

This thread is about a specific question about the B&G V50, I don't think you have one, but you just want to nag. Unfortunately without substance.
The closest VHF to me right now is one of my handhelds. It's a Standard Horizon HX3270x. I can hit the "mem" button on as many channels as I want. Each time adds that channel to my scanning list. Likewise, I can remove it from my scanning list the same way.

I believe every radio I've used in the past year or two, except my B&G, works the same way.

I don't have a clue what the Telecommunications Act is, much less how it applies to this part of the discussion.

I will repeat what I said before: For many people, none of this would matter. Too few even turn the radio on. Even fewer know how to program which channels to scan.

My point was, just about every other manufacturer has managed to make this feature work, and work easily, for those few of us who use it. The fact that B&G doesn't says something about the level of resources they put into developing their hardware and software. It's just one small way to help discriminate between what are otherwise very similar products. Nothing more.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 08:05   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmccraw View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way I can change the MMSI number in the B&G V50 VHF radio? Or do I have to get a tech to do it. I've read the manual and I don't see any reference to making a change.
Since this thread seems to have drifted into politics, I have quoted the original post.

I had the same problem with a Standard Horizon radio so I contacted the manufacturer. They told me to send it back to the factory and they would clear the numbers so I could enter my number. They cleared the numbers and even sent it back to me prepaid. My only cost was shipping it to them.

My suggestion is that you contact the manufacturer of your radio and ask them directly.
boatman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 09:43   #24

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

The restriction on casual change of the MMSI of a DSC radio is not an American regulation--it is part of the ITU Recommendation. In the USA the regulatory agency (FCC) just requires that DSC radios sold in the USA comply with the international recommendations.

Global terrorism is not the cause of the rule nor is theft deterrence, although both have been proffered in this discussion.

B&G products are usually oriented toward sailing and sailboats. Their DSC Radio might not be perfect for scanner enthusiasts.

The remedy to the OP's problem was provided in an earlier reply.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 10:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
The closest VHF to me right now is one of my handhelds. It's a Standard Horizon HX3270x. I can hit the "mem" button on as many channels as I want. Each time adds that channel to my scanning list. Likewise, I can remove it from my scanning list the same way (...).

I don't have a clue what the Telecommunications Act is, much less how it applies to this part of the discussion....
I still don't understand the problem. Pressing the Scan button scans all maritime radio channels in a few seconds. The "3Ch Watch" function constantly observe the 3 channels.

The ITU Radio Regulations regulate the permanent observation of all channels and regulations for the approval of devices according to international agreements. Basically and in a very theoretical sense, it is only allowed to hear channels after you have been called on the official call channel or DSC or have been prompted to listen on that channel or via DSC. Otherwise, you violate the secrecy of telecommunications (sorry if I don't know the correct term). But that's only spoken to the wind.
Old 24-11-2017, 21:16   #26

If you start a scan you can skip any busy channel by pressing the rotary button. If you skip all the ones you don't want to hear you will be left with the ones you do want.
Rusty007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 04:47   #27

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty007 View Post
If you start a scan you can skip any busy channel by pressing the rotary button. If you skip all the ones you don't want to hear you will be left with the ones you do want.
Cool! Thanks!! I love it when I learn something new.

This at least gives me a workable, if clunky, option. I will point out that there are about 60 channels, and the "skip" setting for each is reset when the device is powered off. It's not very convenient to configure scanning while underway by having to identify and "skip" each of the 60 that you DON'T want. Admittedly, most are rarely used so it won't be all 60.

I still prefer the way most other manufacturers have implemented this function. They have a "mem" (or similar) key that lets you add or remove channels from the scan list at will.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 11:30   #28

The new V20 radio has a "My Channels" so you can set the list of channels you want to scan. But being a entery level radio it is missing some features shuch as AIS.
Rusty007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 20:50   #29

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Quote:
Have had the same issue with the V50, but it is no problem.

Factory reset:

press X and scan

code 7100

and follow instructions

Could be forbidden in US to do it by yourself.
Hi Ulstue,

I have exactly this same issue. Would you care to elaborate please? I'm not on the boat now but have re registered and now have a new FCC MMSI number so need to change my B&G V50.

Is it as simple as you state or should I be looking to get the B&G dealer out?

Are there any other issues?

So glad I found this, thanks.

Dave
Old 21-09-2018, 22:42   #30

Hi Dave
With my B&G V50 it was as easy as described. I did it that way. Press X and scan at the same time.

If you have an active AIS, you have to change that separately.

Uli

Tags
vhf