Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2013, 13:01   #1

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
B&G Triton Display Owners

I just loaded the most recent software for the B&G Triton displays and boy is it packed with new and better functionality.

The following are some of the new functions:
- Wind plot display
- Combination graphic display like the wind display, only one can use any data they want
- Time to Port Layline
- Time to Stbd Layline
- Distance to Port Layline
- Distance to Stbd Layline
- Sailing time to waypoint
- Sailing distance to waypoint
- Sailing estimated time of arrival
- Heel angle (both number data and adjustable graphical display)
- Rudder angle (both number data and adjustable graphical display)
- Air Temperature
- Complete engine functions - the number of functions it will display is quite large and all of them can be graphed and temporally analyzed
- Fuel gauge and numbers
- Trim tabs port and stbd (not applicable for a sailboat)

Surprisingly, the newest operator manual released with the software does not mention half of the new stuff. I think B&G is going full guns updating and adding functionality and the engineering and documentation departments are a bit out of step.

Here are some example pictures:
1. 3 displays: a combination graphic showing speed through water with additional numerical values around it (SOG, VMG, Ave speed and max speed), another display showing heel angle and a third display showing the wind plot with adjustable time running down the display and numbers showing current wind speed/direction as well as lowest, average and maximum speed/direction

2. A combination graphic showing expanded AWA with other wind numerical data around it. Keep in mind that this graphic template can display any graphic and numerical data you want, and that the max value displayed in the graphic is user adjustable.

3. Another example of an expanded AWA graphic. The max values on this graphic are also user adjustable for any thing you want to display.

4. Fuel graphic - same template as the wind in #3, only showing fuel. (ignore that box line around it - that is my fault and not part of the display).

If only they would come out with an AIS radar plot display...

And if you have the Zeus chartplotter, that also has new software for it with extra functions and tighter integration with the Tritons.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new functions.jpg
Views:	1251
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	60979   Click image for larger version

Name:	combi wind expanded.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	60980  

Name:	AWA exanded.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	60981   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	60982  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 14:05   #2

Re: B&G Triton display owners

I really like this wind plot function. Attached is a closer picture of it showing immediate values, low, average and maximum values and timescale. The time scale is adjustable. The data are not - you are stuck with TWS and TWD, although the units are user chosen.

It would be nice if they had this type of plot as a template for use with other inputs, or even apparent wind, but they do have a general histogram plot showing graphical data over time without the average, min and max.

Also, I forgot to mention that B&G added oodles of adjustable alarms to the Triton and that the alarm zones are visually displayed on all relevant graphics. Attached is a picture of the alternator output graphic. I don't have N2K sensors for that so it is not reading anything, but notice the red low and high voltage alarm zones on the graphic. The alarms can be audible, visual or both.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wind plot.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	60983   Click image for larger version

Name:	alarm zones.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	60984  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 24-05-2013, 03:24   #3

Boat: C&C38-3 WK

There is so many functions in those T41 MFD. During my 10 hours travel to our summer yacht club, I was going through all the setup options, and I am not even done yet.
PeterSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 06:00   #4

Boat: Swift 40 - BaDonkaDonk

Colemj, I just tried to update my Triton and have had no success. I tried doing so using a usb stick and my Zeus 12 chartplotter. Install went through the download thru 100% and immediately displayed the update failed. I called B&G and they were little help. Can I ask how you did your update?
wgh52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 06:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgh52 View Post
Colemj, I just tried to update my Triton and have had no success. I tried doing so using a usb stick and my Zeus 12 chartplotter. Install went through the download thru 100% and immediately displayed the update failed. I called B&G and they were little help. Can I ask how you did your update?
First, the Zeus needs the most recent software update on it.

I just downloaded the T41 software from the B&G website onto a USB stick, stuck the USB stick in the Zeus and followed the update screens.

Have you checked the current version of software on the T41 to be sure the update failed? On the previous update (using a Simrad ST-10 and not a Zeus), I also got that message, but the software was updated just fine.

Mark

Old 13-06-2013, 10:10   #6

Boat: Albin Nova 33
I've just installed a Triton and other than the wind and water sensors, there's only the display on the network. How do I install the update?
GregSteimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 10:26   #7

Meaning physically. without a USB port, how do I install it?
Old 13-06-2013, 11:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSteimel View Post
I've just installed a Triton and other than the wind and water sensors, there's only the display on the network. How do I install the update?
Unfortunately, there are only limited ways to upgrade these. This isn't just a B&G issue, it is the norm in the industry - and something the industry should be ashamed of.

1. Take it to a dealer/service center. They will do it for free.

2. Find someone who does have a B&G, Simrad or Lowrance chartplotter. Take your Triton to them and plug it into their system for the update.

3. Buy a Simnet-USB kit that allows you to update them with your computer Simrad ST10 Simnet to USB Kit . You will also need to buy a Simnet-MicroC cable to connect the kit into your N2K network. If you already have a Simnet and a MicroC cable or fitting, you can cut off one end of each and splice them together.

Option 3 pisses me off. If Navico is going to go MicroC, they should have a programming kit available containing MicroC connections or at least throw in a converter cable with the kit so it is actually usable with the equipment it is designed for.

Mark

Old 13-06-2013, 12:01   #9

I updated the Zeus just before trying the Triton update. The Zeus update was successful. The last suggestion by B&G was to remove everything from the network except the Zeus and Triton. I have not tried this because it would be a pain in the ass because of the install.
Old 13-06-2013, 12:21   #10

Thanks for the info. I called B&G and the only dealer in Michigan who can do this is a 8 hour drive. Marine electronics are like car makers: way behind in this kind of thing.

My phone's OS has been updated 10 times since I bought it; my car never will be.

But at least NAVCO bothered to improve the Triton...
Old 13-06-2013, 12:27   #11

Here's an idea: there is probably a West Marine store near you. They sell B&G gear now. Maybe go there and talk to some of the workers and see if there is someone with a technical side to them. Maybe they will allow you to use one of their Zeus displays to do the upgrade?

Mark

Old 13-06-2013, 12:48   #12

That's a good idea. Now finding a WM that stocks B&G or Simrad. The only store anywhere close to me is the SuperStore in Jactksonville which is 1.5 hrs away. The local store does not keep anything in stock except Garmin and Lowrance. I wonder if the update would work thru a lowrance unit?
Old 13-06-2013, 13:30   #13

Yes, it may be possible - it should update with any Navico brand chartplotter. However, I say that with qualification because I am not familiar with Lowrance and know that is the budget end of the brands and may not have N2K capabilities, or the software may be limited in updating ability. Doesn't hurt to check it out though.

Mark

Old 13-06-2013, 13:31   #14

I already called WM and had to say: "not B&D, B&G..." She asked the manager who told her they couldn't do it.

How would they do it if they were smarter? If I download the update and take it on a USB drive, plug that into a MFD, then hook up the Triton with a MNEA 2K cable...?
Old 13-06-2013, 13:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSteimel View Post
I already called WM and had to say: "not B&D, B&G..." She asked the manager who told her they couldn't do it.

How would they do it if they were smarter? If I download the update and take it on a USB drive, plug that into a MFD, then hook up the Triton with a MNEA 2K cable...?
Yes, that is exactly how it is done.

I find at most WM stores, there are a lot of unknowledgeable people and a single person who knows a lot. This person is often not the manager. You will never get that person on the phone because, well, he is smarter than that . You need to visit and talk to the various workers to flush him out. Sometimes takes a couple of visits. It is unfortunate for you that the store is so far away.

Mark