Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 09:06   #61

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: B&G Triton Display Owners

Thanks, Dockhead, that's a much better option, using the 7" Zeus display over my bunk. I am converting from my Raymarine classic E-series to a Simrad/B&G/All the rest of the family system this Spring as I ready for cruising. I'll keep the RM as a working alternative, because there seems to be not much of a market for the older system.

I just checked out the newer version of the display, the evo-2, which launches locally in June. It has the capacity to monitor cctv and flir cameras, making it truly possible to scope out what's going out there in the dead of night. Bad guys beware. Now, as soon as I can interface the phaser disruptive light cannon, disguised as a searchlight, I can sleep in peace, especially if I have it tuned for neighbors with loud generators or who are playing Metallica at midnight.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 11:23   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Thanks, Dockhead, that's a much better option, using the 7" Zeus display over my bunk. I am converting from my Raymarine classic E-series to a Simrad/B&G/All the rest of the family system this Spring as I ready for cruising. I'll keep the RM as a working alternative, because there seems to be not much of a market for the older system.
No market for the older stuff? That was not my experience. I sold an antique Raymarine RL80CRC+, Pathfinder radar, and ST60 instruments last year when I installed my new system. It was practically ripped out of my hands on Fleabay. I got over $1000 for the RL80CRC+.

So I would not assume that there is no market for your rather newer E-series gear!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 09:52   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Have you tried them one at a time? Or possibly shorten the network so that only the Tritons are on it? I have randomly had this message before when updating, but just doing the update again has solved it.

I find this type of behavior is common for just about everything with firmware that needs updating - routers, computers, wifi devices, etc - sometimes the update randomly fails and needs to be reapplied. Don't know why that is...

Mark
I pulled my whole network apart to do them one at a time and with everything else disconnected. Still doesn't work! It goes through the whole (lengthy) routine, then announces failed update. And the software version remains the same.

Next thing I think I'll try is to do it using my other Zeus, the Touch one.
Old 18-03-2014, 13:41   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Update: it worked when I did it with the Touch MFD, so now I have 6 Tritons on software v 2.9.

What a complete PITA it was, however. Whole network pulled apart, then rebuilt. Far too many hours for the nature of the job. On top of everything else, the cheapened Touch MFD doesn't have a USB port - just a micro-SD slot. So getting the update file onto a micro-SD card was another time-wasting adventure. Bleh.

There is such a proliferation of new screens. But I have been unable to find the close-hauled wind screen some people have talked about.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 18-03-2014, 14:16   #65

Boat: Baltic 43

Loaded new software, to Zeus T12 and nais400, through laptop, and finally triton trio displays. And now I don't have any wind data!!!
This started with my M424 icom vhf radio not getting a ais signal for the dsc feature, ( note: will not work off a nmea2k converter to 0183, must go directly to mfd) and I found out about the software update. My thinking is maybe it’s a software issue? Why wouldn't it be since the original install the 4g radar and the goFree wireless conflicted resulting in the Zeus not seeing the radar. up and down the mast a few times for not because after installing the newer software problem was solved.
Just called b&g tech support and they tell me to disconnect the tritons and do software upgrade to one unit at a time.
will see.
thx colemj for the thread.
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 19:02   #66

Boat: Baltic 43

update on my software issue, came to the boat and powered up the backbone and took off the covers on my tritons. wind data was being displayed!?! went to the T12 and powered on, wind data gone. went through upgrading one triton alone and it takes the software update, no error messages, by no wind data. the 508 doesn't show up on device list anymore. have left a message for the Westmarine navico rep to call me on this. called the b&g tech support and they're telling me its a backbone problem; i have a working system before upgrade, and now i don't. its a conflict somewhere and i bet dollars for doughnuts its software.
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 10:09   #67

Boat: Albin Nova 33

Same problem. Updated my Triton and now no devices. Same advice too: check the backbone. Rep also said the mast top sensors fail sometimes. It's quite a coincidence if something else failed right after the update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GregSteimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 17:07   #68

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I have ordered my new Simrad/Zeus system, and I will be using a tablet display (fed by the modem) as my "telltale" display above my head in the bunk area. This is taking a very old concept (the telltale compass) and moving it into the 21st century. The only thing it CAN'T do is change the autopilot settings. I think it has to do with aliens being able to take over your system using Wi-Fi. I will receive the new electronics in July, after the upgrades to the MFD become available. Chomping at the bit.......

P.S.: Anyone interested in the electronics of my older classic E-series, look them up on Craigslist San Diego. Its a real bargain because I want to move on quickly.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 09:48   #69

Wandered around until I found a screen that displayed my Triton's status as "Not Responding" That did the trick: B&G is shipping me a new unit. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403887637.597156.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	83961

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 27-08-2014, 08:41   #70

turns out my trouble was the short N2K cable that came with the Triton. It worked fine the first season but failed in year 2.

B&g sent me a free replacement.