Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 04:10   #1

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse
B&G simrad radar on 2 displays?

Does anyone know if you have a Simarad radar connected to one chart plotter if you can view it on another one in the network or to you have to figure out how to use a splitter?

for example if I have a B&G Zues3 9 in the cabin and 7' display at the helm can i get the radar on both displays?
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: B&G simrad radar on 2 displays?

Not an expert in this specific aspect of radar but have read a few discussions relating to this. If I understand correctly, a standard radar IE not a wireless but cable connected radome, then no I don't believe so. The radar connection to the plotter needs to be high speed to carry the amount of data generated by the radar and the NMEA2000 network cannot come close to the data speeds needed.

I believe a couple of companies make wireless radars that I think should work with more than one plotter.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

An option, some of the Simrad/B&G displays off a wireless connection to mobile devices that will mirror the display including radar.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 20:01   #4

Of course. Connect together with ethernet cable for radar sharing. (And charts, sonar, etc) One screen will need 2 plugs. One for the radar. If both screens only have one jack you will need a hub.

They should also be connected with nmea 2000. (Not radar related).
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 20:11   #5

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
Does anyone know if you have a Simarad radar connected to one chart plotter if you can view it on another one in the network or to you have to figure out how to use a splitter?

for example if I have a B&G Zues3 9 in the cabin and 7' display at the helm can i get the radar on both displays?

I have two B&G Zeus MFDs and a B&G Radar which is a Simrad radar with a different decal. I networked the MFDs and both display the radar. If I change range on one it changes on the other.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 20:46   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post

I went through setting up my new Zeus B&G set up this year. I have a 12 inch at the helm and a 7 inch at the chart table.
In my case the 12 inch has an Ethernet hub. You run an Ethernet cable from the radar hub to it and the from there to the 7 inch. You also need both to be on the nmea 2000 network.
My 12 inch is the master unit and so has to be on with the radar transmitting for the 7 inch to see the radar.
I do not know if the 9 inch has an Ethernet hub, if not you need to buy the optional separate Ethernet hub to connect both units to the radar. Again, both need an Ethernet connection from the radar control unit to both screens SS well as the nmea 2000 connection.
Once installed and hooked up whatever changed you make at one station will affect the other in the same manner. Scale, brightness, screen set up, etc will be the same on both screens.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 20:50   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

If the comm backbone I'd set up properly the system is pretty easy to set up and get functions.
What else do you have for sources on your system? Depth, wind, remote good antenna, wind instruments?
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:33   #8

Boat: Bayfield 29

I had two of them on my last boat, along with SI sonar. I had to purchase the SI module as my units are a few years old, that module came with three connections so I was able to feed the signals to a second unit. As mentioned, one will be the master unit but you can switch back and forth.
RossD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:44   #9

Boat: DownEaster 38

No problem, but you'll need the B&G NEP-2 ethernet hub. The 12" Zeus3 has two ethernet ports so you don't need the separate hub, but the 7" and 9" have only one.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:48   #10

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

If your radar is 3g or 4g, it’s ethernet. Plug it into any network switch (I use my house WiFi access point).
You may need to put a standard rj45 (I did) on the end as the simrad Ethernet cables have a proprietary connector. Google the wiring and you will see lots of examples. Very easy.
You can also buy the simrad “hub”, but that’s pricy.
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:49   #11

Boat: Amel 50

As eluded to above, I recommend the WiFi option on your main Zeus. Then you can use an iPad down below as a second instrument. It’s much more flexible than a fixed instrument, it can be used at the chart table or anywhere else you may be, and it can “see” and do everything the main Zeus can do, except control the autopilot.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 13:21   #12

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
As eluded to above, I recommend the WiFi option on your main Zeus. Then you can use an iPad down below as a second instrument. It’s much more flexible than a fixed instrument, it can be used at the chart table or anywhere else you may be, and it can “see” and do everything the main Zeus can do, except control the autopilot.
That's a good option, and I do that TOO. That said, it's not what the poster requested. Additionally, by taking both your plotter(s) and radar and putting them on the same ethernet switch, they are always networked. In my configuration, that ethernet switch is my 'house' network. Any system I join to that network (phone, ipad etc.) can talk to the systems. OpenCPN can get the radar feed should I choose, and the phones/tablets can mirror the displays with the B&G app--All without having to spin up the plotter wifi. While B&G may close this capability some time in the future(not sure why they would, but it's not a documented access method), it works great today. Maybe a bit complex for some, but added benefit for those that want flexibility.

I'm happy to share my specifics if interested. Just PM me.
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 13:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Not an expert in this specific aspect of radar but have read a few discussions relating to this. If I understand correctly, a standard radar IE not a wireless but cable connected radome, then no I don't believe so. The radar connection to the plotter needs to be high speed to carry the amount of data generated by the radar and the NMEA2000 network cannot come close to the data speeds needed.

I believe a couple of companies make wireless radars that I think should work with more than one plotter.
You should make an ethernet connection( either via a video connection) . And have an appropiate receiver on the other site like a zeus or T7 or others. A friend of mine found it on the internet and would start experimenting.
FransD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 15:34   #14

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Not only can you have the radar displayed on two different Zeus MFDs but even on one display you can have two split the screen and have two completely different radar displays. An example would be two different ranges, maybe one overlay with charts the other without or one with AIS targets the other without. The choices are virtually endless. If only we had more time to play around with all the options!
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 21:07   #15

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Yes & more, connect to a boat-pc and display the radaroverlay on openCPN.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar, simrad