Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2011, 02:46   #16

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Yes, Mark, there was plenty of lightning around and we were on the hard. We have no AC circuit as such, but sometimes plug in a dedicated 3-step battery charger that feeds the charge controller. Not sure if we did that day or not....

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 02:51   #17

Myles wants me to send the 4 units and the ACP to the US for troubleshooting and possible repair / replacement. We are worried about the time since we are supposed to be leaving around the end of the month. Has anyone had direct experience with Myles before?

Old 19-11-2011, 05:52   #18

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: B&G Problem

I have dealt with Myles several times. He is good. Just make sure you are up-front and clear about your timing and ask him if he can do the repairs in that time frame. He will be as honest as he can with you - meaning he might say he can do it, but fail to do it in time because he finds more damage than he expected when he receives them. In that case, he will contact you and tell you this.

Besides, timing doesn't seem to be a problem since they don't work anyway...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 05:55   #19

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Yes, Mark, there was plenty of lightning around and we were on the hard. We have no AC circuit as such, but sometimes plug in a dedicated 3-step battery charger that feeds the charge controller. Not sure if we did that day or not....
Does the charger still work? Was it plugged directly into the shore power and not on an outlet on the boat? I don't understand connecting a charger to a charge controller, but if it was, does the controller still work?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 07:06   #20

Yes, Mark, the charger still works. Our boat has no AC system. The Xantrex charger simply plugs into any shore outlet and charges the boat´s batteries via a Xantrex controller that also controls power from motors and solar panels. The controller stills works. We will be sending all the B&G stuff off to Myles.
Old 16-12-2011, 18:37   #21

Ok, I sent the QUAD, WIND, DATA and PILOT units and the ACP to Myles. They came back yesterday. Installed and mostly working, but not quite. More feedback tomorrow after I follow some of Myles advice with regards to the installation.

In the meantime, the rain continues to piss down. We killed a few days in Bonaire while we waited for the units to come back, but we are really very ready to leave Curacao and move on to Cuba. Could be a Xmas at sea?
Old 25-12-2011, 09:22   #22

As requested above, this is a final update to let everyone know how it all finished up. The whole system is working again. It was assumed to be a lightning strike that fried the various units, but not the WIND unit. It was all repaired efficiently by Myles in Florida.

This little breakdown caused a long delay in Curacao and we won't risk it again.

So we are now looking to buy used units as backups for the QUAD, WIND, PILOT and ACP of the B&G Network system.

At the same time, I am doing a little research with some electronic mates to put together the electronics and software to go directly from the PC to the drive motor and bypass the autopilot head and ACP.
Old 01-12-2017, 00:51   #23

Hi everyone,

I have exactly the same clicking sound in my B&G system. Could you please provide contact information for that Myles in the US?

I somehow tried to figure out the clicking issue and this is what I've come up so far:
- The clicking is due to a relay inside the Performance box
- The fact that the clicking is repetitive is the following, when the system powers up, it takes about a second to boot up and activate a relay and an internal flyback power supply. The floyback power supply output is shorted and thus creates a short circuit after a second. The system shuts down and reboot indefinitely on that short circuit.

Below is a picture of the faulty flyback power supply:

I haven't been able to diagnose futher but by disconnecting the output of the linear voltage regulator in the picture, the short circuit is avoided. I would need to have a schematic of the board to fully be able to diagnose becaus I suspect that this is a more than Two layers circuit board and it's very hard to reverse engineer the device.

Any thoughs or contact informations for that Myles in the US?

Thanks
boumboauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:26   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

This is the link to Myles Electronics website
BandG Authorized Service and Repair
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:29   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
This is the link to Myles Electronics website
BandG Authorized Service and Repair
Thanks a lot!
boumboauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 07:46   #26

Any more info on the clicking and dead units? What happen to Myles? Who now to check/repair these Network units?
SR370 is offline   Reply With Quote