Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 14:50   #1

Boat: Nautitech 442, 44 ft
B&G Network Update

Hello all,
I am about to buy a Catana, a 1993 catamaran which has a rather heterogenous electronic equipment :
- Radar Furuno 1622
- B&G depth and wind displays
- GPS Furuno GP31
- VHF Standard Horizon
- autopilot Autohelm type 2

The network seems good. I plan to change all the screens and displays (wind, depth, tridata, autopilot), which are hardly readable and add an AIS transponder and a plotter. I wish I could also get all the data on an iPad through NMEA multiplexer and wifi connection.
My question : which brands and models are compatible with this equipment - displays, AIS and plotter ?
Many thanks.
Old 11-01-2012, 15:07   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: B&G network update

B&G no longer make or support the Network instruments, so you will have a difficult time replacing these displays. The B&G depth and speed transducers are standard airmar transducers, so you may be able to salvage them with a different connector. You will not be able to use the wind instrument with a different display. The Raymarine type 2 drive can be used with any autopilot, but you may have to buy a different specific rudder reference unit for the autopilot.

The Furuno 1622 is no longer made, so you will also be challenged to find a replacement display unit. The GP31 is a contained unit and will need to be replaced as is if you need a new display.

Frankly, if you are going through the trouble of finding replacement displays for all of these on ebay, etc and are going to put in new AIS and chartplotter, I would simply start all over and run a N2K network and get new gear. I suspect the cost of all new gear will be within 25% of the price of hunting down old displays and setting up a mixed network environment with the new gear.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 13:51   #3

Boat: Nautitech 442, 44 ft
Re: B&G network update

Colemj this seems to be good sense. Just after sending my post, I realized that my project was more or less changing everything ! Thank you for your useful informations on my existing equipment.