Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2011, 08:48   #1

Boat: Aluminium 44' cutter-ketch
B&G Network Quad Malfunction - Paddlewheel

My B&G Network Quad unit (circa 1998) currently fails to register any speed other than 0.00Knots. The unit was functioning perfectly prior to the paddle wheel being broken during a haul out and pressure wash. (Yep! I know I should have pulled the sensor before the haulout)

I subsequently purchased a replacement 6-blade B&G paddlewheel kit number 202-00-129, installed it and took the boat to sea expected to see the speed figures return on the Network Quad display. Nothing but 0.00Knots.

Another B&G dealer subsequently advised me that there are in fact two 6-blade B&G replacement paddlewheel kits (with different kit numbers) so I purchased the second B&G paddlewheel kit number 202-00-128 thinking that I got it wrong with the first kit.

The brown magnetic plastic paddlewheel in both kits appears identical. I was again disappointed after installation of paddle wheel No.2 and taking the boat to sea again only to see the display still returning 0.00Knots.

I've swum the hull several times to ensure both paddlewheels are unobstructed and spin freely. I've checked and re-checked electrical connections. I've now exhausted my fix-it knowledge to get the speed sensor/paddle wheel unit to return a speed reading.

I note that the B&G Installation/Owners manual is silent on which way to install the sensor in the through-hull so I have installed it with the white painted marker on the top cap pointing to the Bow. Hope this is correct.

I'd really appreciate advice from someone with fit-it knowledge for this problem before I give-up and invest in an expensive replacement?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B&G Paddlewheel Kit 202-00-128.jpg
Views:	1477
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	26491   Click image for larger version

Name:	B&G Paddlewheel Kit 202-00-129.jpg
Views:	1540
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	26492  

Jaden44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 17:29   #2

Re: B&G Network Quad Malfunction - Paddlewheel

Update: Reference the two B&G kit numbers;
Paddlewheel Kit # 202-00-128 is for the B&G sensor with the bronze/metal housing.
Paddlewheel Kit # 202-00-129 is for the B&G sensor with the plastic housing. Seems that the paddlewheel piece is identical in both kits.

I'd still really appreciate advice from someone with fix-it knowledge to make the Network Quad display register an SOG reading other than 0.00Knots at all speeds.
Old 24-04-2011, 06:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See the Paddle Wheel Transducer “Tap-Test”
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ent-15440.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 12:14   #4

That test does not work for the type of speedo used with B&G gear. If your transducer is connected directly to the Quad unit without a junction box/terminal board somewhere, then you have no access to the wires for testing. You can still test the transducer however IF you have the resources and ability to make a test hook-up. Assume your transducer has the 6-pin connector. Pin 1 has a dot next to it and the next two pins in clockwise rotation are 2 and 3. Pin 1 is ground, 2 is +5v and 3 is output. The output simply switches between ground and +5v as the wheel is rotated and is the speedo "signal" to the Quad unit. Rotate the wheel very slowly to see the switching action. Each time one of the magnets passes by, it switches. Only 4 of the 6 paddles have a magnet. If you want to test the Quad unit instead of the transducer, then you need to use a switch to simulate.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 02:18   #5

Log Sensor - Installation orientation.
Further to my earlier post, I've subsequently been alerted to the fact that there are two arrows moulded into the top of the B&B Log sensor body. The correct installation is obviously with these two arrows pointing to the Bow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B&G Log - Installation arrows.JPG
Views:	580
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	26773  
Old 30-04-2011, 08:41   #6

With this particular paddlewheel, it doesn't matter. Can be pointing forward or aft. Other types of B&G paddlewheels are asymmetrical and must be aligned with arrow/arrows forward.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
malfunction