I know this is substantially different that the other proposed solutions, but I solved
some particularly vexing B&G Autopilot
problems with a very different solution.
Actually, it was a SIMRAD
autopilot controller and the linear hydraulic actuator. But the companies are both under Navico
, so it becomes difficult to tell what is B&G and what is Simrad
. And most of my other gear
is from B&G.
My problem was that hydraulic linear actuator had leaked hydraulic fluid, and it couldn't execute what the course computer was expecting. As a result, I would get all sorts of error messages, but most of the concerned the rudder angle sensor. Since the course computer was saying "starboard!" and the rudder wasn't moving, the software
presumed a rudder angle sensor failure.
I found it challenging to find any information on how to refill the hydraulic actuator in any of the Navico/Simrad/B&G documentation
, but I ended up buying
some hydraulic fluid and filling the reservoir on top of the actuator, then moving the ram back and forth to force out the air bubbles. I did this several times, then got the autopilot to work, and made it go through full cycles. I topped off the reservoir a few times while this was going on. Since then: perfect autopilot performance. It was not necessary to crack any hydraulic lines to bleed the system.
I hope this is helpful.
Alerion Express 38 Yawl, #6 "Surprise"