Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 06:16   #31

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113
Re: B & G GO-FREE (ish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxis156 View Post
Dave,

And out of curiosity, why will the VHF be kept independent of the instrument network? Mine is on the network with the AIS disabled, but if something went wrong with the XB-8000 it is a simple matter to reactivate the AIS functionality and once again have it displayed on the chartplotter. Just curious if I am missing something.
Redundancy. If for some reason the MFD and instruments go down, the radio is not part of that network. With a separate AIS receiver, I do not lose that function if the XB8000 goes down. Simplicity, between the radio, AIS, and MFD there will be 3 gps receivers. Seems like that is just asking for problems.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 13:41   #32

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Dave,

And out of curiosity, why will the VHF be kept independent of the instrument network? Mine is on the network with the AIS disabled, but if something went wrong with the XB-8000 it is a simple matter to reactivate the AIS functionality and once again have it displayed on the chartplotter. Just curious if I am missing something.
Pyxis, here's a better answer on why independent redundant systems may be better than single integrated systems. It's all in combinational probability.

To keep the math simple and for illustration purposes only, let's assume that any electronic system has a 50% chance of failure. For a somewhat critical function, say, gps coordinates, AIS positions of other boats, and VHF communications failure would be serious.

If 2 systems are separated (independent of each other) and each system still has a 50% chance of failure, the probability of both systems failing is .50 * .50, the probability of failure in system 1 times the probability failure in system 2. Thus the probability of being without a critical system is .25 or 25%.

Second Star will have at least 4 GPSs on board, the Zeus2, the XB8000, the VHF, and a handheld. If each of these has a 50% probability of failure, the probability of all of them failing simultaneously due to device failure (not to the whole GPS system going down) is .5 * .5 * .5 * .5, or .0625 or about a 6% chance that I would not have any functioning GPS. If the systems were completely integrated and not independent of each other, the probability would remain at 50%.

There are of course places where there might be a single point of failure that could take down all of the systems. Something like the GPS satellites all going quiet or a massive electrical failure onboard with dead batteries. Those events are difficult to account for. Electrical failure can be mitigated with the handheld and by placing the other electronics on separate circuits.

A long wonkish answer to a simple question. That's what we retired guys do, think up long answer to short questions.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 16:48   #33

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Quote:
Dock,

As Dave says above, you can set the WiFi unit to client mode using the MFD (at least you can with my Zeus2) and it will connect to the Internet through another access point wirelessly. I don't believe hardwiring the unit via Ethernet to another router / access point is allowed. But you do lose the ability to connect to it with a tablet until you leave client mode.

I have the wifi-1 and have successfully used it in client mode to bridge to our marina wifi. My laptop was able to connect to the Internet and the MFD via the gofree wifi. The only problem is that it seemed to be super-flakey. For example when leaving the marina's wifi range all of the wifi1 interfaces would sometimes go dead - not even the MFD could see the wifi1 until it (the wifi1) was power cycled.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Davidasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 23:43   #34

It is possible to hane 2 WiFi-1 moduals in the network. One can be set to client mode for internet access and the can be set to access point mode so you can connect with your iPad / Android. This way you alway have both options running. Or if you have a large boat you can space them out and have them run in Primary AP and secondary AP modes. This will increase the WiFi range on you boat.

You can get some navigation apps that read the NMEA0183 data form the WiFi-1. One example is iNavX but there are many more.
Rusty007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 15:50   #35

Boat: Huon 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But it DOES wifi the NMEA sentences, so that other apps can use it. In fact it bridges everything from the N2K network to 0183, and wifis all that smoothly. I use it with INavX on an IPad, with OpenCPN on my PC, and with a sailing instrument program on an Android tablet, and it works brilliantly.

The conversion to 0183 is a function, I believe, of the Zeus plotter, which ethernets (now that we have turned networks into verbs) the data to the GoFree router (or any other router) for further transmission by wifi.
I have sort of got it working on the ipad from the Vulcan, but not sure I have the right PORT number...... which are you using?.... Iahve tried 2050 and 2052, but this seems to just be Screen info, not NMEA sentences?
Gi-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 15:52   #36

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gi-Lo View Post
I have sort of got it working on the ipad from the Vulcan, but not sure I have the right PORT number...... which are you using?.... Iahve tried 2050 and 2052, but this seems to just be Screen info, not NMEA sentences?

Try UDP 10110 for the NMEA sentences.

Davidasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 15:58   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty007 View Post
It is possible to hane 2 WiFi-1 moduals in the network. One can be set to client mode for internet access and the can be set to access point mode so you can connect with your iPad / Android. This way you alway have both options running. Or if you have a large boat you can space them out and have them run in Primary AP and secondary AP modes. This will increase the WiFi range on you boat.

You can get some navigation apps that read the NMEA0183 data form the WiFi-1. One example is iNavX but there are many more.
So what I am trying to achieve, is to have the ipad connected to teh WIFI for NMEA 0183 sentances, but the Ipad to use the 4g For internet.....

The ipad has a setting called wifi assist that I thought would do this for me, but it doesn't.....

I have searched the apple forums, and been advised to set the wifi settings to Static and use the same IP address Subnet and Router, but with no DNS.... this sort of works, in that the ipad stays connected to the Wifi..... and does use 4g for internet...... but the wifi is no longer receiving the sentences arggghhhh
Old 20-03-2016, 16:00   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidasailor View Post
Try UDP 10110 for the NMEA sentences.

I will try that tomorrow when back on board the good ship IT chanllenger....