Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-09-2010, 01:01   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42s7
B & G Autopilot

I have been told by a B & G representative that the ACP1 controller and the ACP2 are exactly the same except with different labels for marketing purposes. I have the ACP 1 which is rated at 12 amps. Has anyone else any information on this claim.

Old 21-09-2010, 05:37   #2

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Their appearance is similar but currently available H3000 series ACP1 provides max current of 25 amps & ACP2 40 amps with drive voltage of 12 - 24 volts.

I would guess that legacy products have similar pro-rata current rating. My Network ACP2 for example can provide 20 amps.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 08:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
On our Network Pilot, the ACP1 is rated for a maximum of 12A (or 14A, the manual states both at different places and interchanges them often), while the ACP2 has a maximum of 20A (or 25A. Again, interchanged throughout the manual). They also have different clutch voltage selections. The ACP1 is set at 12V and is not changeable, while the ACP2 has dip switches for changing the clutch voltage (9V, 12V, 18V, 24V. The clutch works well at 9V/18V and saves an amp on the power usage in 12V/24V systems).

That is what the manual says. In practice, our ACP1 autopilot consumes 20A in rough conditions with no problem and when I looked inside it, there were the dip switches to change the clutch voltage (and they worked). Also, the manual states to use a 25A fuse and identical wire size for both systems, which may just be laziness or may indicate that they are both the same internally.

So for a 12V system, I suspect your B&G rep is correct. I do know there isn't any obvious way to change our ACP1 to a 24V system,and they do not give any instructions for changing an ACP2 unit between 12V and 24V, so it may automatically switch when 24V is applied.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 15:02   #4

Mark, Thanks for the detailed information. I told the B & G rep that my unit was 13 years old and he stated that back then they were exactly the same unit with different labels. I have replaced the seal kit on my T1 blue ram and it is up and running again ( refer earlier thread), however, I have lost confidence in it as the Hydraulic shop said that the ram arm had lost some of its Chroming.

When I spoke with B & G authorised dealer about purchasing a new T1 ram he suggested that I buy the Coursemaster hydraulic ram instead. The reasons being that it is easier to service and very good quality.

Mark, it would appear also that I should be able to install a B & G T2 ram on the ACP 1 given the fact that it can carry a larger current load than stated.
What is your opinion?

I am still not sure if I should stick with B & G or go with the Coursemaster.

Regards, John
Old 21-09-2010, 17:47   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Your B&G rep steers you to a competing company's equipment?

The B&G manual states that the T2 ram needs the ACP2 due to the increased amp draw. But I know our ACP1 can provide more amperage than the manual states. I can't provide an opinion on if it would drive a T2 ram because I don't have enough knowledge.

Why do you want to go up to the T2? Unless the T1 is undersized for your boat and is stalling or struggling to move the rudder in tough conditions, the performance of the autopilot is mostly in the computer part, not the ram. The older B&G ACP's we have are not cutting edge for performance algorithms and adjustments.

I don't know anything about Coursemaster, but if I was getting a new autopilot, I would get one with a rate gyro. This makes a significant difference in performance. As to just getting the ram, I suppose it will have to have similar specs to the B&G and not require significant mounting changes or another expensive rudder indicator sensor to be worth the trouble.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 20:31   #6

Mark, The T1 works fine with my 42 foot sailboat but I was thinking that if I am going to do an upgrade, I would go for a bigger unit. It is probably an over kill but I always like components that can do a job easy rather than just cope. However, I am probably going over the top with a bigger ram.

Interesting, about the rate gyro. The manufacturers of Coursemaster have a rate gyro with their system and they also said that they make a significant improvement in performance.

John

Tags
autopilot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: