Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2010, 11:32   #16

Boat: Morgan 45 CC
Send a message via MSN to betachz Send a message via Yahoo to betachz
ActiveCaptian, you have been VERY helpful. Thanks so much. I biggest issue with all this is obviously the 5G limit to the DataPlan from AT&T. Does Versizon also have a limit? I couldn't find anything on Verizon's website about anything like a connectCard. The CradlePoint is probably the direction I will go... and boost that with an antenna. This seems like a solution that is feesible to me. And really not all that expensive... well except the 5cents for each MB over the 5GB limit
betachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 11:41   #17
cruiser

It is really tough to hit the 5 GB limit unless you do video or high use things like Skype. With 2 people using only Verizon for a solid month (before the iPhone was jailbroken) we still didn't hit the 5 GB limit. Yes, Verizon has the limit too.

The MiFi/aircard and iPhone area great combination. You get both networks and 10 GB/month plus have all the iPhone data services which stops you from powering up your laptop about 50% of the time. I've been answering all of this on my iPhone while resting after arriving in Vero Beach an hour ago.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 11:45   #18

you just made me extreemly jealouse. Do you ever feel the need for an antenna booster? Might let you get further from civilization while at anchor?
Old 16-01-2010, 12:06   #19
cruiser

We use an amp with external antenna a lot. It's not just for remote locations although it obviously helps there. The reason to use an amp is to gain more speed. When you have better signal strength, throughput improves. Also, getting connectivity offshore requires an amp/antenna. We have a bunch of articles on our site discussing all types of cellular and mobile phone issues.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 14:46   #20

Great site! what a great resource. I'm a graphic designer and web developer so I appreciate what's been put into that. Continue the great job. I signed up and I'm now dreaming about my own adventure.
Old 10-02-2012, 15:56   #21

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: Average Upload/Download w/ WiFi from Anchor

For wifi users. Try this web site, it works. I have it on my boat and there isn't a marina with a dead spot any more. At some marinas it is better to use some other marinas wifi due to high usage at your spot. This will boost your range as high as it will go, but don't expect good connection over 1 mile even with the best signal. You may get a surprise once in a while but don't bet on it.

Wi-Fi for Boats
Old 10-02-2012, 18:15   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I had a verizon air card for a few years. Its ok. I find the wifi thingy I use, Alfa AWUS036H to be generally faster, sometimes much faster then Verizon. I have used both the Alfa AWUS036H and Alfa AWUS036NH and the older 36H is just heads up better. Much higher signal sensitivity and download speeds.

The 36NH would give me a 40% signal with a 12db exterior antenna, where as the 36H gives me 70-80% with a 9 db antenna located inside the boat. Plus its less expensive, something like $31 with three antennas and a mounty suction cup thingy

I have gotten 1 mile or so signals in the 30-40% range so I'm pretty happy with it.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:31   #23

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I had a verizon air card for a few years. Its ok. I find the wifi thingy I use, Alfa AWUS036H to be generally faster, sometimes much faster then Verizon. I have used both the Alfa AWUS036H and Alfa AWUS036NH and the older 36H is just heads up better. Much higher signal sensitivity and download speeds.

The 36NH would give me a 40% signal with a 12db exterior antenna, where as the 36H gives me 70-80% with a 9 db antenna located inside the boat. Plus its less expensive, something like $31 with three antennas and a mounty suction cup thingy

I have gotten 1 mile or so signals in the 30-40% range so I'm pretty happy with it.
You have to remember that both Verizon and AT&T brag about 1 meg up/down speeds. Right now I am getting 11 megs off my Ubiquiti Bullet 2HP set up. I can stream video all day, every day and don't need to worry about a 5Gig limit. Most of the anchorages I have seen do not have Cell coverage and if they do it's because they are near a town or city where I can pick up a hotspot anyway. McDonald's hotspots are pretty strong in most cases.

Tags
anchor