Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 00:35   #16

Re: Autopilot ST 6000 drive unit I’ in trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
It is utterly beyond my comprehension why people refuse to do this! I have fixed SOOOO many things after a phone call and discussion with manufacturers, and wasted sooo much time when I avoid doing this! Often there is a simple tip of how to do something, and almost always, a greater understanding of how things work is gained. I have even made a friend or two.

The modern way of completely mistrusting the maker, in favor of chatting with others who don't know, over the internet is mind boggling. Chatting, in and of itself, is good, and there are some folks who have encountered the same problem before and can help, but why is the manufacturer not the first call? If nothing else, it helps them with better designs in the future!

That was one below the belt .
I take it you’re in the business of selling or repairing marine equipment .
If that were to be case than you most certainly have a reference ( and will use it no doubt) to introduce yourself and get the information you’re looking for .
But for us , the average diy mortals , the doors of FREE professional based information will not open that easily
We , the cheap , tight diy’rs are not willing to spend outrageous amounts of money to some ( pardon the expression) bloodsucking professionals that charge an hour rate that makes most people’s head spin.
Professionals know that and will be very reluctant to share the ‘ life saving ‘ information that can save a normal boater a lot of cash .
There is no such thing as a free lunch unless perhaps you’re in the business yourself , brothers in arms so to speak .

I think boards like this , and youtube as a blessing from the sky , they make sure the middle class can still own a boat , afford and enjoy it .
Professionals are not a charity institution , to say the least .

Regards
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 00:53   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi Bobs, i see im to late . The little bronze gears in your photo are the planetary gears, i bet thats your grind, you may not be able to see the problem but the little holes the stainless steel pins run through flog out just enough to result in a grinding noise,at least that was the case with mind.

Notice theres a raised section on one side of each gear, make sure they go back the way they came off. Also while your there clean the commutator that the brushs run on with some wet and dry paper and replace the brushes if needed.

Id replace the belt as well.

Hey Dale ,

I replaced the carbon brushes some years ago , they got stuck due to carbon debris and were running a bit short too .
Tip for those who take care of the $$$ , buy a similar sized alternative , it will cost you a few bucks and grind it to the exact size .
The original brushes will be ever so expensive .

Indeed , there is some play on the planetairy gears , not sure what to do with that .
I will replace the drive belt but finishing the job will have to wait untill April next year . Im on the boat for 2 weeks now about 2000km ( bird-view ) from home. Thursday we fly back , will have my shopping list in the back pocket .
I also think that some of the bearing balls are lost whilst taking the AT apart ignorantly . So I need some backup before assembling the lot .

Regards
Old 26-12-2018, 23:49   #18

Stormalong ,

just to let you know the unit is re- assembled , I yet need to electrically connect it as I had to cut the wires to get the pilot out . Will use waterproof connectors just in case it has to come out again.
As for the bearing balls , there were about 10 missing in action and a local bike store was able to sell me some for a few cents .
In one way I'm happy this happened because now I have a clear view on how an autopilot is designed and how it works . Might come in handy for myself or a fellow boater in distress .
Live and learn .

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all.

Tags
autopilot