Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2015, 08:47   #1

Boat: Tashiba 40
Autopilot search for Tashiba 40

I’m shopping for a new Autopilot for a Tashiba 40, (about 33,000 lb Displacement loaded). Our AP drive is in great shape so no need to change that part of the system. Sailing is coastal and ocean in all weather conditions. For various reasons I have narrowed the search down to Raymarine Evolution and B&G H5000. Electronics equipment we have are listed below. Does anyone have experience using either of these two pilots in challenging conditions like a following sea and 20 + knots of wind?

At this time I would like to keep the autopilot independent of the chartplotter - can’t afford to change it all at once.

Drive system is a hydraulic cylinder 27 ci displacement with Teleflex 60 ci adjustable speed pump.*
NMEA 2000 network throughout.
Airmar H2183 heading sensor
Triton T41 display in cockpit
(2) Garmin GMI-20 displays
There is a Navigation PC running Coastal Explorer on the NMEA 2000 network via a gateway.
We also have a rudder feedback unit from ComNav - not sure if this can be re-used with a new pilot. *
We also have Garmin 7212 chartplotter and 4k HD radar.
Which autopilot might fit the application? Any advice is much appreciated. thank you.
rcassano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 12:10   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Autopilot search for Tashiba 40

The H5000 is in a whole different performance class than the Evo. It is also in a different price class. A more comparable B&G unit to the Evo is the Triton AP.

Unless your rudder sensor is NMEA2000, then you will need a new one.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 13:46   #3

Re: Autopilot search for Tashiba 40

Thanks, Mark.

I was afraid the ComNav rudder feedback unit was going to be history. What is the reputation for the B&G Triton AP for a heavy cruising boat in the ocean? Between the Evolution and the Triton, which do you think might be a better performer?

My last AP was a ComNav Commander and was over ten years old. I think there have been some advances in steering algorithms since then.

Rich
Old 17-03-2015, 15:04   #4

The Triton AP is just a rebranded Simrad. We have the Simrad and find it excellent. If you are prepared to pay up for the H5000, that would be even better.

I haven't any experience with the Evo. In the past, I have not been impressed with RM AP's. I recently talked with someone who had one on a Tayana 55, and he was having a lot of problems with it steering the boat well in larger seas.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 18-03-2015, 05:38   #5

Mark,

You’re right! The H5000 is wildly expensive. What appealed to me is that it’s designed for sailboats and not primarily for power, fishing and work boats like all the other AP brands. Maybe I’m a victim of marketing because B&G is aiming for the racing sailboat crowd which to me is somewhat related to what I need in cruising. Most other AP advertising shows a beautiful, high speed fishing boat carving a sweeping arc on flat water in pristine weather. No manufacturer is showing a 40’+ sailboat bashing through 6’ swells in heavy rain and 25 knot gusty winds. To be honest, I’m more interested in what the Autopilot can do when everything turns to crap and there’s no harbor of refuge. Can it steer when the wind goes aft and a swell builds? But, no manufacturer shows this kind of capability for their model. I guess it doesn't paint a pretty picture for the magazines.

On the H5000 - what makes this system expensive is the need for both a Pilot Computer module as well as a B&G Hydra CPU. The CPU processes all the data from the transducers - like boat speed, wind, heading. The Pilot Computer controls the drive system. It’s like buying two Autopilots. Why B&G can’t get all the electronics into one box beats me. In any case, I’m not ready to spend that much money and will need to look at other products. I’ll take a look at the Simrad AP-28 again and maybe the Furuno 700 is a candidate. Thanks for your feedback.

One more thing, I use Coastal Explorer on a PC with a gateway into NMEA2000 network. There is a long thread on the Coastal Explorer forum discussing a major problem when using the Raymarine Evolution AP. Apparently, the Evo is very particular on how it wants it's data. A RM chartplotter is no problem, but Coastal Explorer on a PC is not a good option.

Rich
Old 18-03-2015, 06:18   #6

Putting everything in one box won't make it less expensive - you are paying for performance, and that separate computer is doing things no other AP can. Of course, that assumes you have high quality, calibrated sensors feeding it.

That AP28 is just a control head. You will want to look at the AC42 for the actual AP computer. Ours has been brilliant in all conditions.

Mark

Tags
arc, autopilot