Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2013, 10:17   #1

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Autopilot Repair

First, happy new year to everyone.

I have an old Navico WP5000 autopilot that wont engage. On a 1500 mile delivery this summer it sure would have been nice. We had a month to try to figure it out and couldn't, we had it all apart on the cockpit sole, cleaned all connections and fixed any broken wires and generally looked for anything obvious to no avail. So, im trying to find someone who repairs these things before I go out and buy a new one. I hav'nt had much luck so far. I did find a guy in Colorado and have sent him an email just an hour ago so don't expect a repy right away, so, any other leads would be very much appreciated.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 10:40   #2

Boat: 1981 Irwin 37
Re: autopilot repair

Cant fix it for you but if you do replace it please let me know, I could used the drive and wheel ring if its at a good price.

Thanks

John
irwin37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 14:03   #3

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

.Will do John but want to see if I can get it fixed first. Ive got to say im amazed that there are not lots of electronics guys out there repairing things like this. I know that most people want to buy the newest version so don't get things fixed but I don't care, I just want it to function. Mine doesn't appear to need any mechanical parts, the problem seems to be in the electronics and it would be silly to just chuck it if its just a 10c diode or something. I would rather pay someone a couple of hundred to repair it than 1-2k for a new one. Some electronics guy could make a nice living working from home fixing these types of things.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 18:30   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
.Will do John but want to see if I can get it fixed first. Ive got to say im amazed that there are not lots of electronics guys out there repairing things like this. I know that most people want to buy the newest version so don't get things fixed but I don't care, I just want it to function. Mine doesn't appear to need any mechanical parts, the problem seems to be in the electronics and it would be silly to just chuck it if its just a 10c diode or something. I would rather pay someone a couple of hundred to repair it than 1-2k for a new one. Some electronics guy could make a nice living working from home fixing these types of things.

Steve.
In general there is no money to be made repairing to chip level , now add on top of that modern surface mount components and you need $$$$$ desoldering stations and then resoldering is nearly impossible. I design circuits for a living , but I never assemble my boards by hand anymore.

Then if you have really old electronics there are most likely DiP devices ( dual in line) most integrated circuits aren't even available anymore in DzIP packaging.

All in all it's not economically feasible. I mean will you pay me for 4 hours works at $150 an hour ( even if I can't find the fault)

It's gone the way of the " valve jockey "

Dave

Tags
autopilot