Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2013, 18:07   #1

autopilot - MFD only at helm?

Hi all,

I have a smallish sailboat (a Sabre 28) and need to replace the chartplotter at the helm. Today I have my autopilot control head (a Raymarine ST6002 for my X5 wheel system) at the helm, too.

I am going to upgrade to one of the new Raymarine MFDs - the new A65 or the new e7.

Anyone have experience with the pilot control features on these MFDs? Should I plan on keeping the ST6002 at the helm, too? Or will I find it redundant?

I use the autopilot quite a lot - and use the +/- 10 degree buttons to jog around lobster pots, etc.

Look forward to folks' thoughts.

Cheers,

-Dr. C.
dr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 18:22   #2

Re: autopilot - MFD only at helm?

I would leave it. Just my humble opinion.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 03:33   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Anyone have experience with the pilot control features on these MFDs? Should I plan on keeping the ST6002 at the helm, too? Or will I find it redundant?
Raymarine MFDs dont replace autopilot control heads, as there software isnt sufficient, the obvious comparison is SIMRAD, where you can do that.

Hence you need the control head.

dave
Old 30-05-2013, 19:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Raymarine MFDs dont replace autopilot control heads, as there software isnt sufficient, the obvious comparison is SIMRAD, where you can do that.

Hence you need the control head.

dave
I just put an e7 and an i70 on my boat with an old st6000. They can communicate with each other as far as heading but you need to keep the autopilot control. The other two cannot talk to the AP computer.
Lee
Lnill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 02:30   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I just put an e7 and an i70 on my boat with an old st6000. They can communicate with each other as far as heading but you need to keep the autopilot control. The other two cannot talk to the AP computer.
Lee
you can also do basic functions like engage the autopilot from the MFD, but unlike SIMRAD, where the whole control functionality is integrated into the MFD software, it isnt in Raymarine.

Dave
Old 31-05-2013, 03:58   #6

One more thing on this. Right now I have a "bug" that I have not yet resolved. If I power on the mfd before the ap then the mfd does not pick up correct heading for the ap. I have to power up the ap first. Raymarine suggested I update software. Have not done this yet to see if it works. Boat still on the hard for 3 more weeks.
I had a certified Raymarine tech help me design my layout so things would all tie together. I found the Raymarine documentation and number of extra gadgets needed to be pretty complex. I think I will be happy with the end result though.
Lnill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 04:06   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

The current Simrad MFD's do pilot control amazingly well. I would never have believed that it is possible, but you have more or less full control of the pilot even while using the plotter or radar.

I would still much rather have a separate control head, however. I am using a Triton display (which can be used for other things besides pilot control) with the separate pilot keypad. It's extremely convenient.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 20:59   #8

Boat: Pearson 36-2

Bringing this autopilot thread up to date with a question about the Raymarine Evolution and the a65 MFD...

I have the Evolution autopilot, with the supplied (p70?) control head and an i70 at the helm. I'm looking to add a plotter to the system (SeaTalkNG), but something not too large and invasive - so I was thinking I'd replace both the p70 and the i70 with the a65 - which looks like it has full autopilot control.

Does anyone know if this is the case - whether I can remove the evolution autopilot control head completely from the network and use the a65 instead? If the p70 has to remain in the system somewhere, I could move it away from the steering pedestal - as long as the a65 gives me all the autopilot controls I'd need.
svrafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:51   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

I have talked to owner of a boat who had to replace two of the 'touch' style controls within the warranty, then when the third failed he asked for a non-touch head. I am not sure how it all ended up.

He says the touch models developed issues as salt water dripped and dried on the screens and the problems went from bad to worse with the heads becoming useless.

So I would stay with the buttons too until the teething issues are over.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, helm