Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-02-2011, 07:21   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
All versions are true depending upon the autopilot and the type drive unit which is why having a competent, knowledgeable installer is important. Electric drives normally have a clutch system to prevent damage if a rudder stop is encountered.
- - However, hydraulic ram systems can exert enormous force against the stops and possibly break something. Hydraulic steering uses a continuously rotating manual pump at the helm to move the ram/rudder. The autopilot drive on these systems is merely an electric hydraulic pump that piggybacks on top of the normal hydraulic system. These systems are "touchier" to set up.
- - Each combination of rudder system and drive/autopilot has its own requirements and the set up needs to be followed closely.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:22   #32
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
- - However, hydraulic ram systems can exert enormous force against the stops and possibly break something. Hydraulic steering uses a continuously rotating manual pump at the helm to move the ram/rudder. The autopilot drive on these systems is merely an electric hydraulic pump that piggybacks on top of the normal hydraulic system. These systems are "touchier" to set up.
- - Each combination of rudder system and drive/autopilot has its own requirements and the set up needs to be followed close
Im not aware of any system that uses the arm internal stops instead
of the rudder stops as you suggest. to quote from Rays hydraulic drive manual

"CAUTION:
Make sure rudder movement is limited by the steering system
end stops before the push rod reaches its end stop. Failure to do
this could damage the drive and will invalidate the warranty."

In almost all cases there is a pressure release valve built into the pump to protect the system, when it hits the end stops or encounters an obstruction.

Dave

Old 09-02-2011, 10:22   #33

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Ok I just got an estimate of $3875 install on a Raymarine Autopilot install with a linear actuator. My specific install required a rudder post arm and an aluminum bracket for the linear actuator. This seems to be an extremely high estimate! It was a not to exceed quote but really has anyone ever not been maxed out on labor. They even included labor charges for the drive to the dock. Really is this standard?? Eighty five dollars an hour for someone to drive over! Seriously just bury the costs of the drive over if you are an installer no one thinks driving at $85 an hour is remotely reasonable.
I will attempt the install myself if this is what additional estimates come in around.
Old 09-02-2011, 13:50   #34

Boat: Wauquiez Amphitrite 43- Demeter
What was the breakdown of labor and materials costs? At $85/hour pretty normal for this area thats just about 46 hours of labor. My guess is there are some metal fabrication charges in there as well.

If you were up the bay closer to Annapolis I would reccomend you call Merke Marine, local Raymarine dealer and very nice guys.
Old 11-02-2011, 16:59   #35

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra - acquired Sep 2015
but what about the connection?

ok, I've read all through the thread and no-one addressed the issue of the connections where the power supply or the feed to the drive unit connect to the Raymarine Type 300 computer, which is the one I have been working with.

So some advice at this very basic level would be very much appreciated.

I had to replace the drive unit. The wiring is in place but I don't know how to secure the cable at the hook-up point on the computer.

It appears to be a unit where a fitting has to be opened to accept the cable and then released in order to secure it. But I can't figure out how to do that. The rest of the small cables are obvious as they require only a toggle to be pushed back, but the power supply and motor feed are in a different housing.

The uploaded photo shows the connector terminal before any of the wires were removed. I just want to put them back.

Solutions gratefully received.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring connection for raymarine computer.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	23698  
Old 09-05-2011, 16:03   #36

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Autopilot Install

Ok just had my Raymarine ST70 Autopilot with linear actuator installed finally! It took going out of my immediate area of Norfolk Virginia to Marine Electronics in Hartford Virginia (near Deltaville). Kevin installed it in about 6 hours! We also knocked out the calibration same day. Top notch installer if you need one who has a lot of experience and a very accurate estimate.

Lesson do shop around and make sure they have experience with your specific install.
Old 09-05-2011, 17:23   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: Autopilot Install

Kevin is quite good. I'll probably have him take a look at my course computer that has a small problem. Auto pilot installs are so easy to screw up in so many ways. The difference with a good below decks auto pilot installed properly is it will steer when you really can't.

Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, installation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: