Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2018, 10:01   #1

Boat: CS36T
Autopilot help needed

I've just discovered that my trusty Raymarine S3G course computer has failed. It displays the error message "Seatalk Failure" on my ST6002 display unit. Testing has narrowed the error to the computer end - not the display end. Raymarine tech support tells me that the only remedy is to replace the computer. Of course they don't make the S3G any more, so I'm hoping to locate somebody who has one and may be willing to part with it for a fee. I'm about to leave Aruba in a week or so for a 1500 mile passage, so I'm kinda desperate. Can anybody help?
fguptill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 21:02   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis
Re: Autopilot help needed

There's a seatalk fuse 2Amps, second in bottom right, I guessed you checked that?
sailabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 02:05   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

If your drive is still good, then just about anybody's autopilot can be used to control it. No need to replace with an s3g or even Raymarine.
Old 25-01-2018, 02:05   #4

Yes, I checked the fuses.

I also spoke with Raymarine tech support by telephone. They confirmed that the symptoms indicate failure of the course computer.

The fluxgate, ST6002 control unit, drive unit and everything else is still good (we assume). All of these are mechanically and electrically integrated into my navigation instrumentation system. Converting to a different make or model of autopilot would be a big job - not something I would choose to do in Aruba.

It looks like hand steering from here to Guatemala.
Old 25-01-2018, 12:19   #5

Sounds like you don't have time (10 days?) to wait for one from the USA? There's heaps of legacy (even legacy new) raymarine course computers on ebay.com s1g, s2g, s3g and you could even also use the x30, x5 series, same gyro and seatalk1. There's NO way i would leave without a autopilot.
Old 25-01-2018, 13:22   #6

You are correct sailabroad, there are heaps of these units on eBay. However, neither the s1G nor the S2G can deliver sufficient amps for my drive unit. I need an S3G.

I did find an S3G on eBay, but the seller wants payment via PayPal and PayPal will only allow him to ship to my verified address in Canada. Not much use to me here in Aruba.

I'm sceptical about the other options you suggest, but I will check them out.
Old 25-01-2018, 13:47   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you have a control head that won't supply enough amps, you can use a relay. The control operates the relay and the relay controls the high amps.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 14:11   #8

I have an raymarine SPX30 - it has both seatalk and seatalkng, and will work with your old network, can use same gyro and GPS

It is compatible with the 6002 ( not clear here: if it comes calibrated( not factory reset then you don't need the ST70) - but definitely my 6002 works fine with the SPX30

(relay option -A better option than a relay would be a power mosfet, the back Emf from the electrical motor in the linear drive - or electric hydraulic pump pits the contacts and they eventually cannot pass enough current - or add an back emf suppression diode.

Good luck.
Old 26-01-2018, 10:36   #9

Thanks for the offer and the suggestion sailabroad. I like the MOSFET idea, but it's probably harder to find them here in Aruba than to find an S3G!

I did locate a used S3G on eBay and ordered it. It is en route now. Fingers are crossed.

Fair winds
Fred

Tags
autopilot