Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-03-2011, 20:24   #16

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44 Cutter
Re: Autopilot for Sailing Yachts

5 stars for Simrad pilots. The best in customer service and reliability.

Steer clear of Comnav products. They have the worst customer service of any marine electronics company I have ever dealt with. They offshored a lot of it now, even worse. Sad they once where a good brand, no longer so. Some day you will need parts or repairs, you don't want to deal with Comnav for that.

Old 02-03-2011, 22:44   #17

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse

Most of the PNW and Alaska commercial fishing boats have ComNav autopilots, they are extremely popular. Most commercial fishermen that I know aren't likely to continue buying a product that has terrible customer service.
I've contacted ComNav several times about an old Nexus instrument system I have on the boat and they have been very helpful and knowledgable, that was within the last year.

jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:48   #18

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44 Cutter

Take a look again. You are talking about very heavy, slow moving, slow turning work boats. They need trolling patterns programmed into the pilots. That is a niche market they went after. By the way I saw a lot more Robertson pilots back when I worked in Alaska. Maybe you worked in a different fleet.

In the last 10 years I have equipped dozens of long range fishing boats out of San Diego. None of those had Comnav products on board. None of the yachts I equipped had them either.

Every time I have called that company it is either just no return call or a reference to the manual. Rarely do I get somebody on who can quickly give me accurate troubleshooting information.

Last time I called Comnav on an autopilot an accessory bought 2 years ago, I got "We have no information on out of production parts". The company declares things obsolete and refuses to provide any data or help on it. They then offered to sell me a complete new pilot! That is not something you want to hear when sailing in a distant country.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:02   #19

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Most of the PNW and Alaska commercial fishing boats have ComNav autopilots, they are extremely popular. Most commercial fishermen that I know aren't likely to continue buying a product that has terrible customer service.
I've contacted ComNav several times about an old Nexus instrument system I have on the boat and they have been very helpful and knowledgable, that was within the last year.
2nd that on the east coast as well. I have worked on alot of fishing boats here on the east coast and all had comnav auto pilots on them. I have never personaly had to contact customer service but that many boats can't be wrong...
Old 03-03-2011, 07:19   #20

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

Quote:
Originally Posted by svloki View Post
5 stars for Simrad pilots. The best in customer service and reliability.

Steer clear of Comnav products. They have the worst customer service of any marine electronics company I have ever dealt with. They offshored a lot of it now, even worse. Sad they once where a good brand, no longer so. Some day you will need parts or repairs, you don't want to deal with Comnav for that.
I am installing a comnav autopilot on my boat as we speak and I have found comnav very helpful. I had a navico before and it is a paper weight now. Again after doing a lot of online research I chose comnav because it is reliable. The other big names have not only had customer service problems but reliability problems. I recomend comnav.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:51   #21
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
I'm installing a CPT autopilot on our new boat. I have a Raymarine wheelpilot on the Hans and have never been happy with it. But then I only use it under power, use sail trim and rudder offset when sailing, and a helm watch. Maybe they are better with fin/twins.
I would be very interested in hearing how the CPT works out for you. It is on my "want to add/buy list".

Ralph

RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: