Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2019, 04:01   #1
Registered User
 
teddythetwig's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Amsterdam
Boat: Contest 40
Posts: 71
Autopilot Drive Motor

Hi all,
I'm looking for options for a autopilot drive motor for my transmission steering system. There is a drive shaft coming off of the first transmission box which looks like it would be able to accept some sort of motor. I've found that a company called Jefa(DU-TS8-12) makes a motor that would match, but I want to see if there are other options. Attached is a picture of the shaft of the transmission steering system. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190515_143204.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	192438
__________________

teddythetwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 05:02   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 7,129
Re: Autopilot Drive Motor

Not positive, but I think these will fit as well.

https://www.p2marine.com/lewmar-whit...topilot-drives
__________________

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 06:15   #3
Registered User
 
teddythetwig's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Amsterdam
Boat: Contest 40
Posts: 71
Re: Autopilot Drive Motor

Interesting, it looks like this replaces the transmission junction if I'm reading the description correctly. Any idea why these are so uncommon?
teddythetwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 06:35   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 7,129
Autopilot Drive Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddythetwig View Post
Interesting, it looks like this replaces the transmission junction if I'm reading the description correctly. Any idea why these are so uncommon?


It doesnít replace the junction, it just bolts to it.

If yours is compatible, it may require the adapter plate that is described to be installed
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 03:49   #5
Registered User
 
teddythetwig's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Amsterdam
Boat: Contest 40
Posts: 71
Re: Autopilot Drive Motor

Resurrecting this thread and looking for some advice.

I've purchased a drive motor that will fit on the end of the shaft. The motor is way heavier than I originally expected it to be, and I'm worried that since the shaft is so long, supporting it from a flange mounted to the bevel box would apply too much torque and may end up bending the shaft.

My idea now is to build a mount that I will tab to the hull with an angle bracket and hold the motor in place, with the only connecting between the bevel box and the motor being the shaft. What do you guys think?
teddythetwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 04:17   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,889
Images: 75
Re: Autopilot Drive Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddythetwig View Post
Resurrecting this thread and looking for some advice.

I've purchased a drive motor that will fit on the end of the shaft. The motor is way heavier than I originally expected it to be, and I'm worried that since the shaft is so long, supporting it from a flange mounted to the bevel box would apply too much torque and may end up bending the shaft.

My idea now is to build a mount that I will tab to the hull with an angle bracket and hold the motor in place, with the only connecting between the bevel box and the motor being the shaft. What do you guys think?
there should be a gearbox and clutch on the motor before it joins the transmission aprox 30:1 ratio for steering.
mounting the motor and gearbox,just make sure the alignment is correct,it only should be turning slowly when engaged
__________________
my catamaran building project updates https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ft-103739.html
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 04:43   #7
Registered User
 
teddythetwig's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Amsterdam
Boat: Contest 40
Posts: 71
Re: Autopilot Drive Motor

Hi Atoll,
The motor does indeed have a transmission and clutch included. It is a single piece with specifically made as a component of the autopilot system.

I'm more asking about how to couple the shaft of the steering system with the motor. My two options are

1) Fabricate a bracket which will connect to the bevel box and the motor flange, and will support the motor on the horizontal plane

2) Build and tab a platform to the stringer and hull and mount the motor to the platform, supporting it vertically

Number 2 has the plus of using less expensive material (epoxy, glass and wood with a bit of aluminum) vs 1 which would consist of three pieces fabricated from aluminum, as well as some longer(120mm) m8 threaded ss rod.
teddythetwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 04:56   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,889
Images: 75
Re: Autopilot Drive Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddythetwig View Post
Hi Atoll,
The motor does indeed have a transmission and clutch included. It is a single piece with specifically made as a component of the autopilot system.

I'm more asking about how to couple the shaft of the steering system with the motor. My two options are

1) Fabricate a bracket which will connect to the bevel box and the motor flange, and will support the motor on the horizontal plane

2) Build and tab a platform to the stringer and hull and mount the motor to the platform, supporting it vertically

Number 2 has the plus of using less expensive material (epoxy, glass and wood with a bit of aluminum) vs 1 which would consist of three pieces fabricated from aluminum, as well as some longer(120mm) m8 threaded ss rod.
i would tab to the bulkhead to support the motor if it is heavy and perhaps fabricate a right angle bracket from the transmission to link the whole lot together .

what is critical is that there is no movement of the transmission or the motor assemblies when in use and that the alignment is reasonably true to the input shaft.
__________________
my catamaran building project updates https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ft-103739.html
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 06:57   #9
Registered User
 
teddythetwig's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Amsterdam
Boat: Contest 40
Posts: 71
Re: Autopilot Drive Motor

Awesome, thanks for the help! I'll try to take some pictures so yall can see what I did.
__________________

teddythetwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
autopilot, motor

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RPU160 autopilot drive motor question MV Wanderlust Marine Electronics 5 19-11-2016 10:47
New Autopilot Control, old Autopilot motor Pablo Danic Marine Electronics 3 28-06-2016 23:28
Linear drive AP - elec or hyd drive motor? malyea General Sailing Forum 6 07-06-2015 19:51
For Sale: Leyland 1.6lL Diesel, Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmission, and Walter V-Drive Journeyman Classifieds Archive 0 03-03-2011 16:19
Autopilot drive motor replacement irwinsailor Marine Electronics 4 06-01-2006 19:16



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.