Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2017, 13:49   #1

Autopilot controller location

Hi all,
I just finished installing a new Simrad autopilot system on my Gulfstar 37. All of the below deck gadgetry is completed and now I’m just trying to figure out where to mount the display. Any advice / opinions? My initial thought was to mount it on the pedestal given that it has the best accessibility, but I hate adding clutter to the pedestal and also dislike the idea of putting an electrical device in the path of copious amount of water, conditions permitting.
Looking forward to having an autopilot. Boat’s got a Monitor wind vane, but we hit quite a few dead zones on our last passage from Bermuda to the Azores and hand steering got OLD.
jls095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 14:02   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Autopilot controller location

It should be mounted near the helm so the helmsmen has easy access to Auto/Standby buttons. If you ever have to disable the AP and grab the wheel quickly you don't want to have to go to two places.
Old 23-01-2017, 14:11   #3

Re: Autopilot controller location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
It should be mounted near the helm so the helmsmen has easy access to Auto/Standby buttons. If you ever have to disable the AP and grab the wheel quickly you don't want to have to go to two places.
Thanks, this confirms my gut feeling.
jls095 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot