Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2011, 08:27   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Autopilot Computer Simrad vs. Raymarine

I have a raymarine type 2 hydraulic linear drive autopilot that is controlled by an old ratheon brain. I want to replace the course computer and AP controller with new equipment and am looking at Simrad based on the advice of a few friends. The simrad AC12 brain looks a lot cheaper in price than the raymarine x-30 corepack but maybe I should be using the AC42 in which case I guess the price is comparable. ANy thoughts on simrad AP equipment? I have not done a lot of research but can the newer simrad gear talk N2K?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 09:13   #2

Re: Autopilot Computer Simrad vs. Raymarine

I guess no one has any thoughts on Raymarine vs. Simrad for Autopilots?
Old 23-05-2011, 09:31   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i love my simrad and refuse to consider anything made by raymarine as anautopilot. i have the hdl2000 to pilot my formosa 41 nd love love love it!!!!!
have used the ray wheel autohelm brands-- didnt like them at all-- not strong and fail when under sail. simrad is usable under sail and doesnt take as much electricity to run. of course, is waaay pricey, but is worth every thousand dollars of price. i was fortunate enough to find a boat with this system already installed... wont change to any downgrade. when pilot is engaged, i cannot turn wheel by hand. must be placed on standby to do that.
so, chalk me up for voting in favor 100 percent of simrad hdl2000 for a bo at my size--41 ftand 30000 pounds displacement.... there is a hdl 300 also--i dont know what size boat it is recommended for.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 10:04   #4

Thanks I am referring to below decks pilots not wheel pilots. My Wauquiez Amphitrite is pretty close to 30k lbs disp. and currently uses a hyrdaulic linear drive that is controlled by a Raymarine corepack. Its a fairly old corepack but still functions pretty well. I want to replace the corepack and controller and keep the existing as a spare. Price differnence is not that significant when I compare the Raymarine SPX 30 corepack to a Simrad AC42 corepack. I was looking at the SImarad AC12 corepack but I dont think its the right one for a boat my size. If I can use the AC12 course computer from Simarad I will be saving quite a bit. I just am not certain I can use that course computer with my hydraulic drive.
Old 23-05-2011, 10:11   #5
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Neither:

WH is the way to go

WH Autopilots
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 10:22   #6

Are you kidding? That looks like something my son made in science class...
Old 23-05-2011, 13:00   #7

i love my simrad-- the computer is in my dinette and the gyro compass is in my bedroom and the hydraulic part is on my quadrant. is perfect set up for my 41 formosa. would not trade for world. or even ice water on a cold day.
Old 23-05-2011, 13:29   #8

Hey thanks Zeehag. Do you happen to know which computer it is and whether the AC12 unit is suitable for a 30k lb. displacement boat with hydraulic linear drive? Thinking I will email simrad as the info on their site is not that clear. Thanks again for your comments.
Old 23-05-2011, 13:44   #9

not sure of model of computer but the model of simrad unit is hdl2000
Old 23-05-2011, 13:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
Are you kidding? That looks like something my son made in science class...
They may not look refined, but don't underestimate WH Autopilots. While I have not seen one in person, I have heard a number of people claim that they are "the autopilot of all autopilots".
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 14:14   #11

Boat: KP 44

We have an older Robertson (now Simrad) below deck unit. I have been very happy with the preformance and current draw. They are simple, robust and well enginered units. I have had two Autohelm/Raymarine autopilots in the past and consider them to be junk.
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 14:14   #12

my boat came with th simrad or i wouldnt yet have one---lol--i dont know about any other than the autohelm wheel "inferior" model--would rather hand steer than have the wheel device.....i sooo LOVE my simrad. is perfect for me.
Old 23-05-2011, 14:14   #13

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

We have an AC12 connected to a Simrad DD15 drive unit on our approximately 19,000 pound boat. So far after about 1200 miles and a lot of autopilot use both motoring and sailing it has exceeded my expectations. In fact, a close friend with a Catalina 42 replaced his 10 year old B&G autopilot with an AC42 and AP24 control head because he was so impressed with our setup. I believe he needed the 42 to drive the existing B&G ram drive. The Simrad equipment interfaced cleanly with his existing ram drive as well as his existing Garmin chartplotter and he has been completely pleased with his purchase as well.

As far as performance, the autopilot is robust and offers a lot of functionality with both standard navigation (bearing, waypoint, routes, etc.) as well as wind navigation that makes sailing a lot easier when shorthanded. Another plus, if you have a Simrad NSE series chartplotter, you gain complete control of the autopilot without the need for a separate control head. The automated calibration routine was very effective and I have not felt the need to tweak any of the settings it generated. Turns under power as well as tacks and gybes are smooth and controlled with no oversteer or hunting to get onto the new heading.

I hope this helps and am happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Steve
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 14:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxis156 View Post
We have an AC12 connected to a Simrad DD15 drive unit on our approximately 19,000 pound boat. So far after about 1200 miles and a lot of autopilot use both motoring and sailing it has exceeded my expectations. In fact, a close friend with a Catalina 42 replaced his 10 year old B&G autopilot with an AC42 and AP24 control head because he was so impressed with our setup. I believe he needed the 42 to drive the existing B&G ram drive. The Simrad equipment interfaced cleanly with his existing ram drive as well as his existing Garmin chartplotter and he has been completely pleased with his purchase as well.

As far as performance, the autopilot is robust and offers a lot of functionality with both standard navigation (bearing, waypoint, routes, etc.) as well as wind navigation that makes sailing a lot easier when shorthanded. Another plus, if you have a Simrad NSE series chartplotter, you gain complete control of the autopilot without the need for a separate control head. The automated calibration routine was very effective and I have not felt the need to tweak any of the settings it generated. Turns under power as well as tacks and gybes are smooth and controlled with no oversteer or hunting to get onto the new heading.

I hope this helps and am happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Steve
Thanks Steve this is the kind of info I am looking for. My only concerns at this point are whether I need th AC42 unit to drive my existing Raymarine Type 2 hydraulic ram or if the AC12 unit will work. I have emailed Simrad wills ee how their customer support is. ALso wondering about NMEA 2K integration. It sounds like Simrad transmits data on a proprietary network like their own version of seatalk and that maybe NMEA 0183 output might be available but N2k might be a problem. I have not yet purchased a multifunction display (ie chartplotter) but am considering Raymarine C90W or a Garmin 5208. I may not end up with the plotter for a while as I consider it a luxury but the AP is required gear and right now I dont have a back up. My plan would be to use the new Simrad gear and keep the older raymarine stuff as spares.

For what its worth I have not had any problems with raymarine autopilot gear that was properly sized and installed. I have seen a lot of boats with wheel pilots on them that never should have had them though. Wheel pilots are really not much good over 15k disp. and some not even to that size.
Old 23-05-2011, 14:52   #15

Boat: C&C Landfall 35
Based on your drive's amperage will determine either AC12( 10 amp) AC 42 (20 amp)... have Ap 28, AC 42 driving Robertson, now Simrad, HDL 2000L with remote pump and drive installation.
sailin459 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, raymarine, simrad