Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-05-2011, 13:01   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again
Re: Autopilot Computer Simrad vs. Raymarine

Sorry again Dave, maybe you are just blowing smoke, and don't really know the Raymarine products.

I looked through the SPX-30 manuals and couldn't find anything comparable.

I did find the information that Nolex referenced on the ST8002, but nothing like it on the ST70+.

I am really interested in the information, because I occasionally have to deal with raymarine gear on deliveries.

Raymarine's sales brochure says that they have completely redesigned their system, so hopefully they have learned something from their past mistakes.

When dong long passages short-handed, you don 't want the Ford or the Chevy autopilot, you want the Toyota. Even then, you need to bring along a backup system.

Old 30-05-2011, 14:54   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Interesting, I don't see anyone running down any product. I do see people relating their experience and pointing to problems others have had and to problems previously reported on this forum. Some posters have related their good experiences.

I don't see any groundswell of support for the RM product from people who have all those thousands of installations out there.

I do however see several posters who seem to have some kind of vested interest in RM. Perhaps I am wrong. I have been before and will be again.

Cheers.

Old 30-05-2011, 15:42   #93
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe
Sorry again Dave, maybe you are just blowing smoke, and don't really know the Raymarine products.

I looked through the SPX-30 manuals and couldn't find anything comparable.

I did find the information that Nolex referenced on the ST8002, but nothing like it on the ST70+.

I am really interested in the information, because I occasionally have to deal with raymarine gear on deliveries.

Raymarine's sales brochure says that they have completely redesigned their system, so hopefully they have learned something from their past mistakes.

When dong long passages short-handed, you don 't want the Ford or the Chevy autopilot, you want the Toyota. Even then, you need to bring along a backup system.
You obviously didn't look see page 44 st70 pilot reference quide. If you understood how the system works you'd see that the alarms are common to all control heads.

Where j come from saying your blowing smoke would get you asked to " step outside for a minute"

As to knowing Ray given they dominate the European Market and you never see Simrad very often in the last 10 trips all have been ray whilst I sailed only 3 times with simrad. I have done install for friends using Ray , garmin and simrad. Unlike you I know this kit.

If you open the electronics there's little or no difference in quality between the two. Also as you conveniently ignore. ARC survey after ARC survey consistently highly rate Rays autopilots.

I don't appreciate the personal attack
Ta

Dave
Old 30-05-2011, 15:53   #94
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I don't see any groundswell of support for the RM product from people who have all those thousands of installations out there.

I do however see several posters who seem to have some kind of vested interest in RM. Perhaps I am wrong. I have been before and will be again.

Cheers.
Forums tend to amply malcontents. People with a neutral experience . Ie it works so what rarely post.

I have certainly no vested interest , but it annoys me that a Market leader is subjected to selected abuse that in particular seems to emanate from US posts. It would certainly seem that Ray have a problem in the US market that's not apparent elsewhere.

Their biggest rival in Europe will undoubtably be Garmin as in reality Simrad is a niche player.

I have posted ARC surveys ( conveniently not commented on ) others have posted testimonials , again not commented on. Yet users with little knowledge or experience make generalised claims , it smacks of the typical anti- beneteau/ jeanneau posts type of stuff.

Dave
Old 30-05-2011, 16:47   #95
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
There is also a lot of information on the Raymarine website with details like the correct resistance readings for the fluxgate compass. I am sure there is similar information for the Simrad
The Simrad AP works on another level. It's compass and rudder angle sensors are NMEA-2000 / Simnet devices. If you already have these sensors on your N2K network, you don't need to buy them again for your AP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Simrad tend to follow Raymarine, their products are very similar in nature.
huh? We are talking about the AP, right? A little history for you then:

Quote:
Simrad Yachting manufacture a complete range of autopilots for all types of vessels, from leisure boats up to advanced steering systems for merchant marine vessels. Our factory for these products – branded Robertson – is located in Egersund on the south/west coast of Norway. The company's involvement in autopilots began in 1953 with equipment for the North Sea fishing fleet. Professional mariners around the world acknowledge that the Robertson name is synonymous with the absolute best in autopilot technology.
see... 1953, professional market. Look at how they still repair those units today: Home

Nautech Ltd, the predecessor of the Raymarine pilots, was founded in 1974, when ships had been using Robertson AP's for more than 20 years already. So pls. stop relaying such wrong statements like Simrad/Robertson AP following RM; that is just silly.

Quote:
Though Ray of course, especially in the European market dominates teh marketplace.
Since when does dominating the marketplace equal best performing product ?! The statement has nothing to do with what is being discussed in this thread: the quality and reliability of the AP. RM is dominating the market so well that they went bankrupt and a spotlight manufacturer acquired the company.

Quote:
Their biggest rival in Europe will undoubtably be Garmin as in reality Simrad is a niche player.
You are talking markets and other sales droid talk...

Quote:
I have posted ARC surveys ( conveniently not commented on ) others have posted testimonials , again not commented on. Yet users with little knowledge or experience make generalised claims
Excuse me? You think ARC participants are a good measure for sailors with the experience to tell the good pilot from a toy?

Yes, some have been very happy with their RM AP. They had their say and don't get insulted. But when others state that RM performed very badly, their service was utterly bad, and the Simrad/Robertson pilots are heaven, you feel the urge to defend RM to the last man standing and you don't shy away from insulting those who do not agree with you.

You do that every time RM comes up as subject. It really looks like you have an interest in RM.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 31-05-2011, 00:39   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The Simrad AP works on another level. It's compass and rudder angle sensors are NMEA-2000 / Simnet devices. If you already have these sensors on your N2K network, you don't need to buy them again for your AP.

The Raymarine system uses NMEA 2000 Its also still compatible with NMEA 0183. It will use an existing compass if you prefer (2000 or 0183). I don’t see how the Simrad "works on another level." . I have never installed a Simrad system but is inability to accept NMEA 0183 means it would be harder to interface with most wind and chartplotter systems.
Old 31-05-2011, 07:03   #97
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The Raymarine system uses NMEA 2000 Its also still compatible with NMEA 0183. It will use an existing compass if you prefer (2000 or 0183). I don’t see how the Simrad "works on another level." . I have never installed a Simrad system but is inability to accept NMEA 0183 means it would be harder to interface with most wind and chartplotter systems.
It means that the RM rudder angle sensor is not a smart N2K sensor like Simrad has. Also, the RM fluxgate compass is not a smart N2K sensor like Simrad has. Simrad can accept NMEA-0183 connections too.. who ever said otherwise? (you? ...)

ciao!
Nick.
Old 17-06-2011, 13:16   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

Just got involved with another Raymarine problem here in Hawaii. While it is not autopilot related, it provides a recent update on their products and service, and reaffirms my decision never to buy their equipment.

A friend down the dock has an all-Raymarine boat, and has been stuck here 3 weeks instead of sailing to Alaska because the radar is not working. The local Raymarine dealer has taken both the scanner and the chartplotter off and shipped them back to the mainland. Upon their return the radar is still not working, so the next response was to order a new cable, for another 5 days of delay.

I asked if they had checked the terminal strip where the cable is spliced at the base of the mast--the dealer wasn't even aware that most sailboats have a terminal strip. Some of the connections on the terminal strip are corroded, and I'm about 75% sure that this is the problem. I offered to fix it, but the owner says that his warranty says if anyone other than a certified Raymarine technician works on the unit the warranty will be void, so he will wait till the technician can come to the boat.

He says they have already run up a huge bill, but he can afford it--its the loss of the short weather window in Alaska that really bothers him.
Old 17-06-2011, 15:24   #99
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Just got involved with another Raymarine problem here in Hawaii.
[...]
He says they have already run up a huge bill, but he can afford it--its the loss of the short weather window in Alaska that really bothers him.
Typical, seen that so many times. I also saw them to ship a non-functional units 3 times before they finally sent one that worked. When a unit is returned, they just ship it to the next boat to see if it will work there... and so on.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 17-06-2011, 15:38   #100
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i soooo LOVE my simrad hdl2000--it is awesome!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 17:41   #101
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

Not to thread jack but I'm following this thread closely. I have a Cal 34 and a Seapilot but the head and compass are toast but the worm gear drive seems to work. I'm looking at either installing a st6000 and x-30 corepack and keep the drive (x-10 won't work) or just removing everything and going to Simrad AP24 and ac12 or ac42 with a new drive. I have no idea which drive I would need but it seems I would save almost $2000 by keeping the old drive. It's 30 years old but I also need radar and a Chartplotter so saving $$$ would be nice. Still leaning toward an all new Simrad system though.

What's this about installation? If I try to install myself or hook to the old drive will I lose my RM warranty???
Old 21-05-2012, 20:26   #102

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

I bought a AC12 for my boat, but then decided on going all Raymarine and bought an x10. If you physically hold each unit, the Raymarine feels much better. I was disappointed in how cheap the AC12 felt.. I know that's not a big deal, but the Raymarine felt much more robust.
Old 22-05-2012, 05:50   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

An old Simrad is smarter than an old Raymarine as far as course computers go. Robertson was the real leader more than 20 years ago. I had a St6000 computer go bad on me recently and replaced it with a new X30 though I also had to replace the control head with a st6002. The st6000 control head wouldn't work properly. I kept the drive, rudder feedback and fluxgate. The one issue is you can't buy just the course computer you almost always need to buy the whole core pack (fluxgate and rudder feed back) that adds another $500 plus. The control head and drive are sold separate but you might get a bundle.

After all the years the RayMarine course computers are now as smart as the old Simrad computers. They now learn faster than the old RayMarine pre X30. I don't see the Simrad having the big advantage that it used to have but it would none the less be a good choice. If you add an A70 chart plotter the Raymarine would be pretty nice. On a sailboat I think the larger RayMarine chart plotters block your vision too much (too tall) but the A70 fits just nice. The A70 lacks radar overlay (no high speed Seatalk) but not much else. Both NMEA's and old Seatalk is supported plus Sirius radio/weather.

Not sure if you can reuse the old drive but aside from the cost of the drive unit there is the mounting of it and that part can be quite time consuming if done properly. Our 20 year old hydraulic drive was and is just fine. It steers exceptionally well and is very very strong. The mounting is more important with the stronger drives. The lack of power is the reason wheel pilots usually come up short.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 06:07   #104

Boat: 48' steel cutter

My 48' steel cutter is currently up on the ground for a 20 year refit. I am installing an under-deck electric/hydraulic A/P, and am deciding between a Will Ham or a Simrad HLD2000. My steel boat weighs about 36,000 lbs, and the skeg-hung "barn door" rudder is 11.8 square feet on one side. Is the single-drive Simrad powerful enough?
Old 22-05-2012, 07:05   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

The HLD20000 comes in a split linear, linear and dual linear. The dual is rated to 36 tons displacement. It's more about displacement than what she weighs. It's how much water you need to push. All of them are for mechanical based steering systems. These would be heavy duty solutions that are meant to attach to the quadrant.

Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, raymarine, simrad

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: