Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2011, 09:54   #31

Send a message via Yahoo to Sheriff
Re: Autopilot Computer Simrad vs. Raymarine

from an installer pov a lot of customers remove there raymarine and go with simrad!
Old 24-05-2011, 10:35   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i am sooo pleased with my simrad unit-is a lifesaver and very very reliable for me!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 19:45   #33

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

No complaints from my Raymarine X-10 and Linear Drive. The drive is 8+ years old and I upgraded the core pack to the X-10 a few years back. It's coupled with my NavNet3D on the N2K backbone.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 05:44   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
No complaints from my Raymarine X-10 and Linear Drive. The drive is 8+ years old and I upgraded the core pack to the X-10 a few years back. It's coupled with my NavNet3D on the N2K backbone.
If your (electric?) linear drive has never broken down then you never put it up to a job like we give our AP's on a regular basis (= storm conditions with big waves 10-25').

See, you upgraded your core pack which made a big difference. That is exactly the problem. Simrad/Robertson owners do not need to do that because their units of 10 years ago are still top notch today. No need to buy upgrades :-)

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 06:03   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
If your (electric?) linear drive has never broken down then you never put it up to a job like we give our AP's on a regular basis (= storm conditions with big waves 10-25').

See, you upgraded your core pack which made a big difference. That is exactly the problem. Simrad/Robertson owners do not need to do that because their units of 10 years ago are still top notch today. No need to buy upgrades :-)

ciao!
Nick.
Hi Nick,

Have you checked the power draw for the Simrad AP? That seems to be a detail that is ignored in all the recent threads and comments about APs but certainly an issue for most of us. I had a Robertson years ago which was a great unit but it sucked a lot of amps.

Of course it is difficult to determine an exact power use profile for different APs in general since each boat will steer differently and different sea conditions and points of sail will require more or less work from the AP but it seems like some general guidelines should be possible. A comparison test several years ago showed the Alpha units to draw a lot less than competing units at the time but that was years back, plus I have concerns about Alpha. Would be very interested in hearing more recent results.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 06:27   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:

Nick , give it a rest, my ray unit done two transatlantics. The linear drive is very good and the hydraulics units are even better. X-30 is an excellant corepack. Gazillions intalled all over Europe.

Dave
Old 27-05-2011, 07:13   #37

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

ciao!
Nick.
Wasn't trying to start a food fight, just citing my experience, which is what the OP deserves.

Maybe the electric linear drive is lasting as it is being used within the design constraints - a type 1 and the vessel is <22,000lbs. Your boat is heavier than the type 2 is rated to handle.

How does N2K work on that 10 year old SR AP?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 07:43   #38

Boat: Taswell 49

Type II linear hydraulic takes the x-30 corepack.

Raymarine Marine Electronics - Hydraulic

Type II linear hyraulic drive is rated for up to 48,500 lbs disp.

Raymarine Marine Electronics - Hydraulic Linear

My boat is supposeldy 28k lbs disp but Im not dure if that is light ship or what and have never actually weighed. Either way Im sure its not 48k...

I much prefer the hydraulic linear drive to electric linear but most important is that the whole kit is sized appropriately for the intended vessel. Only complaint I have for the drive is the noise of the hydraulic pump in a seaway. Thinking of enclosing the pump in a few layers of 1 1/2" thick Sounddown. The only quiet alternative is a $5,000 windvane...
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 07:45   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Simrad....if you want professional grade equipment. Raymarine is not professional grade stuff.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 08:06   #40

We are talking about course computers here not the drives. Is there really that much of a difference between the X-30 by Raymarine and the AC42 by simrad? Guessing if I go with the AC42 then I also need to purchase a new control head, fluxgate compass, and rudder reference indicator all from Simrad too?
Old 27-05-2011, 08:30   #41

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Guessing if I go with the AC42 then I also need to purchase a new control head, fluxgate compass, and rudder reference indicator all from Simrad too?
If your existing heading compass and/or RRI output NMEA 2000, then you are good to go. I believe you could also consider using an 0183 > 2000 translator (like the Simrad AT10) to get the data from your existing instruments to the N2K network but you will need to install some N2K backbone infrastructure as well.

And yes, the AC42 requires either a Simrad control head OR an NSE series chartplotter.
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 08:30   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mebbe if the autopilot tends to break down, could it possibly be the thing isnt up to the job it was hired to do ?? mebbe a size or 2 up would be better fit?? things donot work well if not the proper size for the job at hand, especially in big seas and winds.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 08:30   #43
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Simrad....if you want professional grade equipment. Raymarine is not professional grade stuff.
classic generalisation. Simrad is part of Navico, a brand that has few if any professional connections.

IN my local harbour many of the inshore fishing boats have Ray Gear. As well as many have Furuno. Not a Simrad in sight.

My experience with simrad is the gear is no worse or better and much harder to find agents or spares or any dealer that knows alot. Ray is everywhere.

Dave
Old 27-05-2011, 08:55   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
classic generalisation. Simrad is part of Navico, a brand that has few if any professional connections.

IN my local harbour many of the inshore fishing boats have Ray Gear. As well as many have Furuno. Not a Simrad in sight.

My experience with simrad is the gear is no worse or better and much harder to find agents or spares or any dealer that knows alot. Ray is everywhere.

Dave
If you size it to the boat correctly and install it properly it all works and is reliable.
I will add that my experience with RM service is exceptional. I, due to being stupid, broke a RM tiller pilot on an Alberg 30 while out on a month long cruise. RM Fedex'd overnight a replacement unit and covered the repair under warranty even though it was my fault. That's why all my new electronics and Auto Pilot on the current boat are RM.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 11:25   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Dave

This has been my observation as well. Im thinking at this point that since i will need to replace the corepack, RRI, and Control head or use converters I may be just as well staying with the Ray kit and getting the x-30. So far Im only hearing anecdotal comments on the superiority of the simrad course computer.

Tags
autopilot, raymarine, simrad