Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2011, 08:45   #1

Boat: PETERSON 44
Autohelm st7000

Says drive stopped happened about 3am started going way off course. I thought it was not tracking as well as normal. Rudder indicator is spot on compass heading us good. When i left 3 weeks ago the compass got confused between north and south. I repowered and it recovered. It did seem like it was allowing for a large error before correcting. I used to hear it adjusting. Haven't heard that sound for awhile. Maybe it has just been locking the wheel this boat can be so balanced you hardly need to touch the helm. I'm going to nap and dig out the manual later. Anyone with experience on these things. If I break it up unto pieces less then one inch and dump this thing offshore will marpil be okay with that
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 10:46   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Autohelm st7000

You can call Raymarine, but it's like a crap shoot. Sometimes you get someone who is very helpful and sometimes you get "send it in for a software update". My ST7000 is being looked at now based on a software update recommendation. No word yet.

They also have a customer support web site with some questions and answers. Raymarine Marine Electronics - Support Home is the url.
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 13:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBW
You can call Raymarine, but it's like a crap shoot. Sometimes you get someone who is very helpful and sometimes you get "send it in for a software update". My ST7000 is being looked at now based on a software update recommendation. No word yet.

They also have a customer support web site with some questions and answers. Raymarine Marine Electronics - Support Home is the url.
Thanks
20 minutes of ray marine adds on hold. Gave me a voice mail option then disconnected It is either the co roller or a loose connection the drive does not try to run. Suspect the solder joint at main power relay on the circuit board.ughhhh
Old 27-07-2011, 15:59   #4

Should have said it's 100/300 control head auto helm. Looking like the drive relay is fried. Or the solder connection. No sequence of operation in the manuals this should be in these not having that makes it hard to trouble shoot. Ie clutch releases when x happens etc... Sequence of operations is contained in most installers guides for most equipment. Every piece of marine gear electronics should have this. Pissed
Old 28-07-2011, 05:44   #5

Fixed. For now. I suspect the prior owner did this install with his buddies. Last year I redid the mount for the rudder position indicator the push arm ibefore that I cleaned up the wire runs. I should have gone wire by wire and checked the terminations. This thing was definitely home installed by the previos owner and some friends. The main power terminal on the autohelm is one of those push in stripped wire and hope there springy lock holds it. Looks like there was the issue weak ground. When I took the wire out it looked like they had a hard time getting it in so they mooshed up the copper strand and jammed it up . I just finished reterminating all connections it works so hopefully that was it. Raymarine never called back. Bad way to terminate a wire. Should be a screw terminal in my opinion
Old 28-07-2011, 14:14   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

Glad you got it working. I also redid every connection in the system, to no avail. I agree with you about the terminations in the core pack...too easy for those wires to pull out. You are right that it should be a screw terminal.

I also found the manuals to be pretty much useless for troubleshooting, and I could never find a "primer" on seatalk and how to plan the connection all of the electronics together. If it exists, I was not able to find it.

Hope it keeps working.
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 19:22   #7

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

had issues with my st7000. raymarine was hit or miss with their tech support. sometimes got called back, sometimes not.

sounds like it got fixed.

are you using the raymarine/autohelm heading sensor? our boat has a KVH nmea sensor, which works well. I have some friends that have the raymarine heading sensor and are underwhelmed with it (as was the previous owner of our boat, which is why he replaced it)
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 07:33   #8

Raymarine called back tech was very good.and added several suggestions to the fault he was very familiar with the setup. Not of least was to check or clean the brushes in the drive motor. Mine is actually autohelm and is using the gyro compass. The manuals are crap. Can't recall now how I tied nmea into the chart plotter.thNks for all the help mow well see if it works

Tags
autohelm