Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-05-2012, 11:12   #1

Boat: Minerva 32 - Frostas II, S&S Falcon 24 - Tintooki
Autohelm 3000 zig-zags

Hi,
so back in 2010 we bought this autopilot really cheap from the guy who complained about it making zigzags or loosing control completely. It worked absolutely perfectly the first year.
Last spring we extended aft for around 1.4 meters (see the picture). After it, the autopilot started zigzagging.
I tried experimenting with various combinations of 'steering wheel turn' settings (the only knob on the Autohelm) and adjusting the actual turns (i'm not sure how to express myself, but there's plate on rudder post where you can switch the cable between several holes, which will increase the radius and travel of the rudder). That didn't help.
My first guess was the rudder was too small for the increased hull length, so we cut a new solid piece of steel and attached instead of the old one. We made the rudder a bit more balanced, for easier handling. That didn't help.
This year, we guessed that the solid piece might be bending due to the force of water flow, so we welded horizontal lines running along the rudder. That didn't help.

Autohelm has no calibration settings or anything. It's really simple piece of hardware and we loved how it worked the first year. Now, sometimes it gets so out of touch, that it will turn the boat 360 and continue zigzagging.
My current guess is either something really changed after our boat conversion (personally I feel the steering response slower) or something happened to Autohelm during long, cold (-20) winter. Perhaps the 'fluxgate' compass got damaged? Or was it just standing in the same position for too long?
Perhaps you will have some ideas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	41060  
dzhiurgis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 16:53   #2

Boat: Dufour 38
Re: Autohelm 3000 zig-zags

Sounds like it may be a fluxgate problem. PM sent.
Capn Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 18:26   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

It's pretty easy to burn out one of the Darlington transistors on the autohelm 3000 (the main power transistors on the side of the board). If you leave the belt engaged and turn the helm, the motor becomes a generator and the electric surge can burn out one transistor, over time. Don't ask me how I know.

This can cause one direction to be 1/2 speed to the other direction. It can also cause both directions to be 1/2 speed, if both sides have a transistor burned out

Easy fix is to replace the 4 darlington transistors, 2 are PNP, the other two are NPN. They are a pretty common type.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 18:37   #4

That actually might make some sense - we did had couple of situations, when we needed to turn the wheel abruptly, without disabling the autopilot.

I am still waiting for a response from Captain Dan, he is about to send some information on how to check fluxgate compass.

Moreover, when I was looking for similar problems online, I found that most common problem is placing something metallic around the compass. I was trying to figure out if I did anything similar and I remembered that we made stainless steel tinplate to hold the unit, because the old plastic one was broken.
Well, as far as I remember, stainless steel doesn't have magnetic charge, right? Or could it still influence the compass? It wouldn't explain the first year of perfect work, would it?

p.s. How can I edit my posts?
Old 19-05-2012, 20:04   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

316 stainless is not very magnetic, but 302 stainless is. Maybe make a mount out of plastic or wood maybe.

Never turn the wheel with the autohelm 3000 engaged. But its too easy to do....
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 15:02   #6

when I got my boat many years ago. The broken Autohelm 3000 came with the boat. I finally get a chance to work on the unit. The motor works fine both ways. I opened up the control box. There's a burned and smoked area near the red lead to the motor. Looks like C15 and C14 were fried and falling apart. Maybe some transistors fried as well? How do I know

Is there a diagram around?

Thanks
tomyang62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 15:03   #7

No idea about the diagram, but would it be helpful if I take some high resolution pictures?
Old 16-07-2012, 15:22   #8

Boat: Dufour 38

If the motor turns both ways, your transistors are probably good. Replace the burned caps. They are 1 uf, 25 volt, tantalum capacitors. Note that they are polarized.
Capn Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 00:13   #9

Thanks guys for the prompt replies. I'll replace C14 and C15 first and see how it goes...
Old 17-07-2012, 18:36   #10

Just replaced the two capacitors C14 and C15. It beeped when powered up.
Pressed "auto" and the red light stayed on. Rotated the box but the motor
didn't react! Hit +1 or +10 the motor turned one direction; hit -1 or -10, turned
the other direction. Compass doesn't work?

Any clue for next step?
Old 30-07-2012, 11:14   #11

Boat: Endurance 37

Hi
I have the same problem with my ST 7000 system. What and where is the "capacitors C14 and C15" you are talking about. And how far away from the
the enginen have the fluxgate compass, to be placed ?

kind regards
Kastrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 13:23   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
While it could be the FluxGate, the ST3000 does have several settings. Following is a link to the manuals http://www.raymarine.com/default.asp...=657&Section=3

Finally got mine to track well, now to deal with the belt slipping on the hub!

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 13:49   #13

C14, C15 are near power-input spot at the right hand side. They are all marked(printed)
on the circuit board. FluxGate compass are hanging at the left hand side.

ST3000 has a screen to play with, but 3000 doesn't.

Tags
autohelm, autohelm 3000