Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2015, 15:50   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Attach Ipad to binnacle tubing or teak drink holder

Hello all,
I am considering the Vesper Marine AIS that transmits signal to Ipad. Clearly there are multiple clamping products for attaching Ipad to a tube or a flat surface. What product do you use? Are you happy with it? Buy again? Is it appropriate for a marine environment? Thanks!
Calypso52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 16:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Attach Ipad to binnacle tubing or teak drink holder

I use RAM mounts Ram Mounts - Mobile Mounting Solutions and am very happy with them. They are a very versatile component system so you can easily attach and remove just about any device anywhere.

I would buy additional RAM components if I needed them. They have proved very usable in a marine environment.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 16:12   #3

Boat: C&C 34

Hi

I use a product called RailBlaza. It comes in various bits so you can add what you need for the relevant job.

I use a part called a rail mount attached to the rail around the binnacle, then added an iPad holder. This works ok but I also use a couple of elastic bands as well as its (fairly) easy to knock IPad out of the holder. (We caught the IPad once as it was flying out to sea having been whacked by an over excited sheet puller. The IPad was saved but sadly the beautiful little gps attachment is now residing at he bottom of the Indian Ocean.) Since the introduction of the additional elastic bands (and a replacement gps) everything has stayed well in place.

I also use the rail mounts with cup holders, a small gadget holder and fishing rod holder for when the Beloved wants to terrify the local piscine population.

www.railblaza.com

Good customer service as well, when I had a faulty item they sent an upgraded replacement.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mandurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 16:32   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 36

Wow just looked at RailBlaza, very cool stuff, I know what I want for Christmas now !
OBXSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 16:42   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

I am being asked more and more to integrate tablets into a boats existing nav set up. As always I try to be certain of the quality of components before I install them for customers. I discovered the Scan Strut ROKK mounts a while ago and they are really quite amazing. With almost 1/4 turn they lock solidly into place. Scan Strut hired one of the design engineers from Dyson who designed this elegant solution. Hands down the finest ball & socket mount I have ever used.

Finding a truly waterproof case for an iPad that has a robust back mount design proved more difficult than I had anticipated. Some companies that initially made them have stopped production and others were not as water proof as they claimed. After three or four cases tried I wound up with a LifeProof Nuud case and their mount.

Side view Scanstrut ROKK mount & iPad Air... The ROKK mount will even fit at the rounded part of the pedestal guard.

Daylight visibility, overheating in the direct sun & battery life of the iPad still sucks, but it is nice to have it firmly mounted. This iPad Air is in a Lifeproof Nuud case SKU: 1901-01 with the Lifeproof Mounting Cradle SKU: 1935. The Scanstrut ROKK uses the AMPS adapter plate to connect to the LifeProof mount.

LifeProof Mounting Cradle with AMPS standard bolt pattern:

You need the adapter (left) RL-505 / AMPS and the ROK mount RL-ARM (right). Together they run a bit over $100.00

This is a great mount for the iPad and when not charging it remains water proof. The mount is solid as a rock and can be bumped and nudged without knocking the iPad out of the mounting cradle.

This still does not solve any of the standard iPad issues such as;

Screen smudges
Waterproof charging capability
Battery life
Poor daylight visibility
Screen glare
Overheating & subsequent shut down in direct sun
etc. etc..

But it does get it to your pedestal...
Old 16-11-2015, 08:12   #6

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I am being asked more and more to integrate tablets into a boats existing nav set up. As always I try to be certain of the quality of components before I install them for customers. I discovered the Scan Strut ROKK mounts a while ago and they are really quite amazing. With almost 1/4 turn they lock solidly into place. Scan Strut hired one of the design engineers from Dyson who designed this elegant solution. Hands down the finest ball & socket mount I have ever used.

Finding a truly waterproof case for an iPad that has a robust back mount design proved more difficult than I had anticipated. Some companies that initially made them have stopped production and others were not as water proof as they claimed. After three or four cases tried I wound up with a LifeProof Nuud case and their mount.

Side view Scanstrut ROKK mount & iPad Air... The ROKK mount will even fit at the rounded part of the pedestal guard.

Daylight visibility, overheating in the direct sun & battery life of the iPad still sucks, but it is nice to have it firmly mounted. This iPad Air is in a Lifeproof Nuud case SKU: 1901-01 with the Lifeproof Mounting Cradle SKU: 1935. The Scanstrut ROKK uses the AMPS adapter plate to connect to the LifeProof mount.

LifeProof Mounting Cradle with AMPS standard bolt pattern:

You need the adapter (left) RL-505 / AMPS and the ROK mount RL-ARM (right). Together they run a bit over $100.00

This is a great mount for the iPad and when not charging it remains water proof. The mount is solid as a rock and can be bumped and nudged without knocking the iPad out of the mounting cradle.

This still does not solve any of the standard iPad issues such as;

Screen smudges
Waterproof charging capability
Battery life
Poor daylight visibility
Screen glare
Overheating & subsequent shut down in direct sun
etc. etc..

But it does get it to your pedestal...
I also use the NUUD cover and the life proof cradle, I use a RAM clamp on the top of the pedestal guard. I am going to try and find some type of cover/shade for the glare. This is only a temporary setup and will be replaced next summer with a MFM.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, teak