Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 10:21   #1

Are you using inexpensive battery powered LED "puck" lights to light your interior?

I was wondering if anyone is using those inexpensive little self-contained wireless LED lights powered by AA or AAA batteries to light the interior of their boats? Like this kind here. If so, do you use anything over or inside the lens to tone down the harshness of the LED light? And do you use rechargeable batteries in them?

Thank you
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 10:50   #2

Boat: P30
Re: Are you using inexpensive battery powered LED "puck" lights to light your interio

stuck one in the engine compartment and another on the underside of the dodger for locking/unlocking the boat at night. they're cheap and as a result usually don't last very long - but they do the job. a bunch of led flashlights thru-out the boat combined with the oil lamp and the house lights are used occasionally
Old 18-11-2013, 11:01   #3

Re: Are you using inexpensive battery powered LED "puck" lights to light your interio

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
I was wondering if anyone is using those inexpensive little self-contained wireless LED lights powered by AA or AAA batteries to light the interior of their boats? Like this kind here.
I tried a few and they saved the day for a short cruise before I had a chance to install better lighting.

Like others I found that the lighting was usually too bright and bluish for extended use, and because of their brightness they'd chew through 3 AAA batteries in no time.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 12:21   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We don't use the self-contained battery powered version, but we did switch almost all our interior overhead light "BULBS" to LEDs. Original fixtures.

LEDs can usually be found in different "colors" of white, and "warm" LEDs (around 2700° K) similar to some "soft" CFLs) approximate the color of the incandescent bulbs they replace.

Our interior is slightly brighter now, since the LEDs who chose actually provide slightly more lumens per... but the interior color the light is the same as original.

-Chris
Old 18-11-2013, 12:28   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
We put 2 of them in the cabinet under the sink. Makes it much easier to find the trash bags, storage container, pressure cooker, coffee thermos, dust pan, cleaning product, Lemmon Pledge, dog food, cat food, sea cock, lamp oil that we are searching for. Don't expect them to last too long but they are cheap.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 13:20   #6

What is it about them that stops working? Do the LED's in them stop working or the actual mechanism that turns them on and off that stops working? The bottom line is that I don't want to run wires so I am hoping to light with LED's that aren't disposable.
Old 18-11-2013, 13:27   #7

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

We have many Sylvania puck lights around the boat mainly in storage spaces. They are easy to install, are very bright, shut-off automatically and the batteries last a long time. They have held up very well for years in the marine environment. Great for cabinets but not the best for general cabin lighting.

Sylvania Battery Powered LED Under-Cabinet Light Review | Today's Homeowner

TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 13:28   #8

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Same as above, also had them in the lazerettes too. Have since installed these in their place:

Amazon.com: Compact LED Dome Convenience Light Auto Airplane Aircraft RV Boat Interior Cabin Cockpit LED Lighting: Automotive

Amazon.com: LED Dome Convenience Light Auto Airplane Aircraft RV Boat Interior Cabin Cockpit LED Lighting: Sports & Outdoors

They can be used with a dimmer.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 14:11   #9

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
What is it about them that stops working? Do the LED's in them stop working or the actual mechanism that turns them on and off that stops working? The bottom line is that I don't want to run wires so I am hoping to light with LED's that aren't disposable.
in our experience the batteries don't last long and the switches have failed.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 15:07   #10

Because yours had batteries that couldn't be replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
in our experience the batteries don't last long and the switches have failed.
Old 18-11-2013, 15:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
We have many Sylvania puck lights around the boat mainly in storage spaces. They are easy to install, are very bright, shut-off automatically and the batteries last a long time. They have held up very well for years in the marine environment. Great for cabinets but not the best for general cabin lighting.

Sylvania Battery Powered LED Under-Cabinet Light Review | Today's Homeowner

Good find, I'll check in on those. I've got a few places that every week it would be nice to have ~2 minutes of light.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 15:31   #12

I have replaced every light bulb with the LEDs. The good ones are pricey but they have over a 50 ,000 light hour time and use only about 4% of the old power. I can live on battery light a few days without worrying about running the Genorater. When I do run the gen it does not to work as hard. In my 89 390 Sea Ray Express I have replaced all the old equipment with new energy efficient equipment, it makes a very big deference in fuel for the genorater. Also less power going threw the wires is less chance they will over heat and the probability of electoral fire goes down.
If you want to spend the money you will get it back many times over. I did the same with my condo on Lake Keowee in SC and my electric bill went from $65.00 a month to $22.00 plus at 57 I will never change another light bulb in my life time.
Good Luck $ Safe Sailing
NoLoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, interior, puck