Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2007, 15:59   #1

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
Aquameter Gemini Compass - Help!

Hi,

Need cruisers help here.

I have an Oday 27, which had two, identical Gemini builkhead mounted compasses. I've removed them during the Great Lakes Winter months, because the 4" globes are so fogged over, UV attacked the daylights out of it, can't read the card anymore.

well, I'm curious, from what I've learned, Aquameter isn't around anymore but Rule Industries bought it out or something. For the price of repairing these compasses, I could buy new ones and my question is to anyone here: Does the Rule Industries Saturn model compasses looks pretty close in comparison. Has anyoneused the Saturn model compass to replace the Aquametter Gemini (in terms of mounting size, hole pattern for mounting etc.). I like the fact that the Saturn bulkhead mounted compass is dual read card.

Any feedback is appreciated!!!

Mark
Mark Reiland
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 19:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
There are independant compass experts that rebuild a compass as required. I can't say anything specific about yours but a google search on "compass repair" will bring up a few sources. I would explore that option as it is possible to repair a compass more than you may believe.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 03:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The “Saturn” is a bulkhead mounted compass, whereas the “Constellation” Family Series are flush and binnacle mounting styles.

Goto ITT (Danforth and Aquameter) compasses:
Danforth - ITT

See also the Plastimo “Contest” series bulkhead compasses:
Plastimo USA

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 05:01   #4

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
Gemini compass

Yeah, my twin Gemini compasses are bulkhead mounted. The constellation series is not what I have.

I have already contacted a few compass repair shops, most seem to be in MA! Was quoted for repair, which I still might do, Always good to have 'em around for later us, but I like the Saturn bulkhead mounted ones, dual read cards, etc.

Mark
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 07:57   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
I have had my compass repaired by Nor Cal Compass. It worked out really well. My compass is a Ritchie Binacle Compass. Replacement Cost is around $575 and up. One of the tradesman had broken the glass on the compass. I had the glass replaced for $276. Now I have to swing the compass. But it was less than half the cost. But in my research I could have bought the bulkhead compasses for less than $276 but I didn't know about the quality of those less expensive bulkhead compasses.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:12   #6

Shellback,

Curious to know what you decided to do on this one. I have the same compass (Gemini). The glass is so hazed I can't see the card anymore. And this morning I noticed it had dumped half it's oil out into the cabin. Did you end up getting your repaired? If you did decide to purchase a new one which one did you go with? I'm curious about the hole size.

Thanks

Trent
trenthightower@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 13:53   #7

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Aquameter Gemini Compass - Help!

My Aquameter Gemini is a pedestal mount. It was also clouded and hazed. I removed and carefully dismantled it. I used the stuff for fogged headlights to clean the dome and gently washed the card and other internals. After reassembly it was refilled with Ritchie Compass Oil. Mine took about 750 ml. Now it looks and works great.
OS2Dude is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass, gemini