Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-06-2016, 08:22   #31

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Anyone tried to get DSC data OUT of Icom IC-M504 VHF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Can you hum a few bars about what it takes to set that up?

I've got an M604 connected to an NN3D MFD... and the radio gets it's GPS data from the plotter/GPS... but I don't know how to move data the other direction -- from the radio to the plotter -- and then display it...

-Chris
Straight forward - 504 NMEA0183 out (white cable) to unused NMEA0183 in port on the NN3D (set for 4800). Nothing to enable in the NN3D, it picks up the DSC/DSE automagically.

I don't remember which of the (3) NMEA0183 ports I used on the NN3D, but I can't imagine it matters.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:46   #32

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Straight forward - 504 NMEA0183 out (white cable) to unused NMEA0183 in port on the NN3D (set for 4800). Nothing to enable in the NN3D, it picks up the DSC/DSE automagically.

I don't remember which of the (3) NMEA0183 ports I used on the NN3D, but I can't imagine it matters.

Hmmm... thanks, that moves me along a step. I think.

I can tell from wires and labeling that both the 0183 IN and 0183 OUT pairs are connected to a wire on the back of the M604's 6-pin "GPS Receiver/External receiver/Speaker" connecter. One pair labeled NMEA IN plus/minus (the feed from that GPS), the other labeled NMEA OUT plus/minus.

OTOH, I can't yet tell whether the NMEA OUT pair from the radio is actually connected to the NN3D MFD's physical DATA2 18-pin connector, in either logical port 2 or 3. The MFD doc calls out RD2-C/RD2-H and TD2-A/TD2-B on Port 2, and then RD3-C/RD3-H and TD3-A/TD3-B on Port 3,... but I can't find the Rosetta Stone that says what RD and TD stands for.

But mostly I haven't discovered where the radio is connected to the cable that's plugged into the back of the MFD (DATA2).

Got a query in to my installer...

And it's entirely possible I've just not seen a responder on the plotter because the folks around me with DSC radios maybe don't have them set up to answer position report requests... or are not connected to GPS... or whatever...

-Chris

Old 03-06-2016, 11:16   #33

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
You need to check the gateway documentation to see if it specifically states support for DSC/DSE sentences. I have not found any gateway that supports these sentences.
Now you remind me that I made the owner buy a newer dedicated Furuno gateway for that reason. That expense went to waste because the bloody radio would not spit out DSC/DSE sentences reliably.

Sent from my SM-G9287 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-06-2016, 11:21   #34

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
. but I can't find the Rosetta Stone that says what RD and TD stands for.

-Chris
R means receive or in
T means transmit or out

Do not forget that you connect in to out and viceversa.

Also read above where they remind me that many Furuno nmea gateways will not handle DSC and DSE sentences that come out of a radio. They usually work OK feeding positon to the radio.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:23   #35

Quote:
Hmmm... thanks, that moves me along a step. I think.

I can tell from wires and labeling that both the 0183 IN and 0183 OUT pairs are connected to a wire on the back of the M604's 6-pin "GPS Receiver/External receiver/Speaker" connecter. One pair labeled NMEA IN plus/minus (the feed from that GPS), the other labeled NMEA OUT plus/minus.

OTOH, I can't yet tell whether the NMEA OUT pair from the radio is actually connected to the NN3D MFD's physical DATA2 18-pin connector, in either logical port 2 or 3. The MFD doc calls out RD2-C/RD2-H and TD2-A/TD2-B on Port 2, and then RD3-C/RD3-H and TD3-A/TD3-B on Port 3,... but I can't find the Rosetta Stone that says what RD and TD stands for.

But mostly I haven't discovered where the radio is connected to the cable that's plugged into the back of the MFD (DATA2).

Got a query in to my installer...

And it's entirely possible I've just not seen a responder on the plotter because the folks around me with DSC radios maybe don't have them set up to answer position report requests... or are not connected to GPS... or whatever...

-Chris
Receive Data/Transmit Data

Once you figure out where the physical connection is (follow the wires??), verify NMEA out + to RD H (High) and NMEA out - to RD C (Common). If still nothing, reverse them.

All RS-422/232 connections are very 'obnoxious' (at best) to work with. Various manufacturers call the connections/leads different names and mix up the labeling of the polarity, etc.

When you see a position request answered on the radio, then you'll see it on the chart plotter. In the case of the NN3D, it doesn't zoom to the location, hence you may have to zoom/pan to find the target, it simply plots it as a blue icon (5 sided weird looking thing). The NN3D will show the MMSI/Vessel Name, whichever is supplied. The icon will stay there until you delete it (never tested, but assume it goes away across a power cycle). Hence, it's only a snapshot in time and only displays location and range at time of viewing, no speed, no heading, no bearing, no time of plot. Kind of a poor man's AIS, but works over longer distance. I've sent/received positions out 20+ miles, further than typical Class B AIS. I also use DSC to hail a buddy boat to talk on a particular channel.

And yes, it's typical that the radio receiving the position request has to be setup to auto answer position requests. At the very least it should notify the operator to ack the request. I'd also bet that most people wouldn't have a clue where that alert sound was coming from nor how to acknowledge it.

I also know this works on Raymarine VHF to Raymarine chart plotters as friends have those and I helped set them up.

Good Luck!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:54   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Now you remind me that I made the owner buy a newer dedicated Furuno gateway for that reason. That expense went to waste because the bloody radio would not spit out DSC/DSE sentences reliably.

Yep, the Furuno IF-NMEA2K2 gateway handles DSC/DSE in both directions.

Interesting how you're having trouble with the 504 and I've never had a problem with DSC/DSE output from the same model.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:42   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
R means receive or in
T means transmit or out

Also read above where they remind me that many Furuno nmea gateways will not handle DSC and DSE sentences that come out of a radio. They usually work OK feeding positon to the radio.

Quote:
Receive Data/Transmit Data

Once you figure out where the physical connection is (follow the wires??), verify NMEA out + to RD H (High) and NMEA out - to RD C (Common). If still nothing, reverse them.

When you see a position request answered on the radio, then you'll see it on the chart plotter. In the case of the NN3D, it doesn't zoom to the location, hence you may have to zoom/pan to find the target, it simply plots it as a blue icon (5 sided weird looking thing). The NN3D will show the MMSI/Vessel Name, whichever is supplied.

And yes, it's typical that the radio receiving the position request has to be setup to auto answer position requests. At the very least it should notify the operator to ack the request. I'd also bet that most people wouldn't have a clue where that alert sound was coming from nor how to acknowledge it.

Thanks guys, Feels like kind of a Duh! moment on that DATA thing. I'm used to RX and TX, never thought to substitute "Data" in this case.

I found the place where the installers connected everything to the Furuno 18-pin FRUDD-18AFFM-L180 cable assembly... but I'm not excited about dissecting that yet, at least until after I hear back from them.

Given that the system may be physically connected just fine, and it might be that I've just never gotten a valid position request response yet.

-Chris

Old 03-06-2016, 12:48   #38

Quote:
Given that the system may be physically connected just fine, and it might be that I've just never gotten a valid position request response yet.
It is easy to diagnose if you have a cabling issue ---- when there is a response to a position request on the radio and nothing on the chart plotter.

Hence, nothing on the radio and nothing on the chart plotter does not equal a cabling problem!!
Old 03-06-2016, 12:58   #39

Quote:
It is easy to diagnose if you have a cabling issue ---- when there is a response to a position request on the radio and nothing on the chart plotter.

Hence, nothing on the radio and nothing on the chart plotter does not equal a cabling problem!!

Heh... that's what I figured... but getting a response to a position request has been the hurdle so far.

So far, folks around here with a DSC-cabale radio either don't have a GPS enabled, or don't know how to ack a position request... unless it worked once or twice, and my radio/plotter didn't figure it out. (Back to the cabling question.)

I haven't actually tried to poll every MMSI I can see, just in hopes of finding someone with the Auto Ack turned on. Partly since I can already see where those MMSIs are 'cause of the AIS. I could do that, I suppose...)

Anyway, I've been more focused on the idea of seeing where MMSIs are that are NOT visible from AIS... and especially an MMSI related to a DSC-originated emergency call. Hadn't realized, before seeing this thread, that it might be a capability I didn't know I have...

-Chris
Old 03-06-2016, 14:30   #40

Well, reinventing the wheel a bit, and confirming by looking back at my earlier notes...

I just used our M604 ("radio 1") that's connected to the plotter/GPS to send a position request to my other M604 with it's own GPS ("radio 2")... latter set to Auto Ack...

Radio 1 successfully sends a position request to my manually-entered MMSI. Radio 2 successfully receives that position request and sends an automatic reply. Radio 1 receives the reply and displays the coordinates for radio 2.

The plotter displays squat.

If that's a valid test, I think that means my wires -- NMEA out from M604, NMEA in to MFD -- aren't connected properly.

Have polled the installers about where those NMEA OUT wires from the M604 go...

-Chris

-Chris

Tags
dsc, icom, vhf

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: