Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2011, 17:39   #1

Boat: Allied Seawind II Sloop
Anyone Tried Chameleon Whip SSB Antenna ?

Hi,

I'm currently looking at different options for a new SSB setup. I've been leaning towards building my own backstay antenna - cable run inside rope running parallel to backstay.

However, I just came across a small marine SSB whip antenna - Chameleon SSB V1 Marine Whip Antenna. Anyone used it??

CHAMELEON V1 MARINE - NEW
Sailorsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 08:19   #2

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
It being only 9 feet long, it is likely to be a relatively poor radiator on the lower frequency bands - if your antenna tuner can even give you a match on those bands.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 12:06   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Sheriff
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSailor View Post
It being only 9 feet long, it is likely to be a relatively poor radiator on the lower frequency bands - if your antenna tuner can even give you a match on those bands.
x2

from reading the specs this antenna was built for amateur use and from judging mainly emergency use in case your regular antenna gets blown away or damaged but I wont recommend it for your ssb! go with a god old shakesphere antenna
Old 16-02-2011, 07:22   #4

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
It would probably be okay, but it's mainly for folks who don't have a backstay or a large deck to string a wire, e.g., cars and trucks It's kinda tough to step a mast and still pass under the overpasses on the highway.

Not sure how it compares, but I see a lot of hams using a High Sierra Pro 1800 for mobiles. Google it if you're interested and read about how other rate them, but remember, none of these guys have backstays or a large deck to string a wire.

The random wire I strung on my deck (my mast is down right now) works just as good, and probably a lot better -- as well as a whole lot cheaper. I've been checking into the MMSN daily at about S3 - S5 out to about 900 miles. I'm sure my backstay will be a bit better, but probably not much since I only put out 150 watts.

Btw, have you tried to connect it to your uninsulated backstay? That's the simplest solution. I'd only look into other options if the uninsulated backstay wasn't satisfactory.

I'm currently on City Island in the Bronx, so let me know if you'd like a signal check. I'm sure there are others here who'd be happy to help out as well, assuming I'm either too close or too far away.

good luck and 73...
don
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, ssb