Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-06-2015, 14:12   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Anyone familiar w/std horiz GX 2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I too have a question on the hailor. Since the 2200 is WiFi capable, are there any hailers capable of using that? I really don't want to string anymore wires.
What now??? What do you mean it is wifi capable Cabo? I'm not on my boat, but I don't recall any wifi transmitter in the package. Am I missing something else about my radio???

Old 09-06-2015, 15:32   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Your right Mike, my bad. I got it mixed up with the Garmin GPSMAP 7610 mfd. that has WiFi not the radio. I withdraw my question.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 09-06-2015, 19:00   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl

Quote:
Thanks BambooSailor,

That's what I thought. From what I've read there are tremendous technical problems with the AIS interfering with the VHF transmitter.
I don't believe this is the case if you use either a low-loss antenna splitter or have your antennas separated vertically.

Where have you heard about the problems?

Chuck
Old 09-06-2015, 19:08   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

I too have a SH2150 integrated with my Garmin 741xs and Command Mic. There should be no interfere with AIS and Vhf Radio.
When applying for your MMSI number here in USA go with the FCC not WestMarine. WestMarine MMSI is only for within USA waters. Not good in Carribbean.

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:42   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chuck you appear to be correct. I should stay out the electronics forum. I did some web searching and the problem was the AIS transmits continually so with the single antenna the VHF would not be able to get out. I guess it's similar to someone keying the mike and not letting go.

Another article suggest using a low loss antenna splitter to allow both signals to go out. I have no idea how the signals would know which antenna to use.

My apologies to everyone mislead by my posts and my thanks to those who straightened me out.

Rich

Old 10-06-2015, 11:47   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

First, there is no issue with your GX2000 because it does not transmit AIS. There is no issue simultaneously receiving AIS with VHF voice. For the small amount of time you are actively talking, the AIS receive will pause, but in practice this should not make any difference.

For AIS transponders that need to also transmit, two devices cannot transmit simultaneously into a single antenna without damaging one of them. So either separate antennas are necessary, or an antenna splitter is used.

An antenna splitter simply prioritizes VHF voice and switches to AIS when a transmission is made (at least that is how it should be designed). If you are talking during an AIS transmission, it will not be made. However, class B AIS transmissions are every 30sec, so it will resume fairly quickly after.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:12   #22

Boat: Catalina 470

Rich,
First off, you have gotten the correct info here....
Read what Mark, colemj, wrote....as he explains it well!!

Secondly, there was a rather detailed recent discussion about these Standard Horizon radios, and other VHF-DSC / AIS-receiver combos (like the Icom M-506, etc.)....
Have a look here...
VHF with DSC, AIS, and GPS!

Thirdly, you understood this better than many other sailors and unfortunately better than your "electronics guy"!!
(and that is why I'm writing this...)
Quote:
I'm currently having all my electronics upgraded. One of the items is the Standard Horizon GX-2200 VHF. According to the literature it contains AIS receivers but nothing about transmission.
The installer tells me once I register an MMIS number that transmission is enabled. I find this very hard to believe. It would be nice but I'll settle for the receiver.
Quote:
Your right Mike, my bad. I got it mixed up with the Garmin GPSMAP 7610 mfd. that has WiFi not the radio.
It still amazes me at how many truly ignorant (and borderline incompetent) "marine electronics professionals" there are out there!!!
[actually it pisses me off...but, that's for another thread! ]

Seriously, from what you wrote in this thread, you might think you should "stay out of electronics forums", but to the contrary I think you're doing great!
You read the manuals, thought you understood things (which you did), but got completely wrong information from your electronics guy, and came here for clarification / explanation....and that's all good!!

What is bad, is using / paying your electronics guy!!
I cannot be certain, but it appears that you know more about it that he does!!
And, I highly recommend that you fire his ass and find someone competent, and informed!! (everyone will tout that they're "qualified", "trained", "factory-trained", "factory-certified", etc....but these "quoted" words are all rather meaningless, especially if they are not competent or informed!!!)

I know you're saying: "I already paid him, or most of it..." or "how do I know who is, and who isn't, competent?"....
And, if you cannot fire him now, at least read EVERYTHING very closely, ask us here for clarifications/explanations, etc. and hold his feet firmly to the fire and make sure that EVERYTHING is installed and commissioned perfectly, and that EVERYTHING works perfectly, BEFORE you pay him anymore, or let him leave your boat with his tools, etc...

Sorry for the emphatic words above...it just galls me that sailors end up knowing more than the so-called "professionals" they hire...

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 13:23   #23

Boat: Morris Frances 26

Hello, I have the 2200, great radio. I did read somewhere that if you use s separate AIS transponder with the same MMSI, the radio will ignore it! Which is great.

Gil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2015, 15:00   #24

Boat: Tartan 33

I purchased the 2150 some time ago and am happy with the device's functionality.

Problem #1 is that my old Garmin 440 is not truly NMEA 0183 compliant. NMEA standards allow for longer updates of moored vessels than the chartplotter was programmed for. So it throws lost target errors.

The other issue is that in hindsight I should have not gotten the AIS receive only. It would have been smarter to save the money and purchased a transponder from the start.

Currently I am comparing transponders and will cease using the 2150's receive only data.

The RAM mike is good, but in a heavy squall it can get water logged and provide poorer transmissions. Not an issue unless single handing through bridges. Also I was told to connect the ram mike before powering up the radio or you can blow a gizmo in the mike.

If you really want receive only, the SH is a good device, that I would buy again.

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael ---- NEW website! www.USCGMaster.com
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 15:14   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anyone familiar w/std horiz GX 2200

I'm fortunate to have so many people that can speak from experience. For example, nowhere in the manual does it tell you the MMSI from Boat US et al is only good in U.S. waters. If you want one for US and foreign waters such as the BVI or Bahamas you have to apply to the FCC. Some generous poster shared that or I would have been clueless.

I'm also gratified that most people are happy with the SH radio

Thanks all
Rich

Old 12-06-2015, 16:31   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
I did read somewhere that if you use s separate AIS transponder with the same MMSI, the radio will ignore it! Which is great.
The radio itself ignores it and you don't show up on your own radio display. However, it strangely passes ownship data through the NMEA interface so that you DO show up on the chart plotter display.

Like having a little shadow falling slowly behind you and then jumping up to you every 30 seconds…

What I found odd is that we are using an antenna splitter and still see this. I can't figure out how we are seeing our own AIS transmission when the shared antenna is electrically disconnected from the radio during that time.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 12-06-2015, 21:01   #27

Boat: Switch 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The radio itself ignores it and you don't show up on your own radio display. However, it strangely passes ownship data through the NMEA interface so that you DO show up on the chart plotter .

Yes, this is a PITA. In addition to the little shadow, Coastal Explorer is constantly warning us of an imminent collision with ourselves. I tried to use Neal Arundale's NMEA router to get CE to ignore our ownship data, but no luck. So we sail on with the computer nagging us and us responding by turning the volume down.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-06-2015, 05:36   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To solve the problem, I just swapped the SH AIS NMEA output for the transponder output. Now the SH NMEA output is only used for DSC.

Mark

Old 13-06-2015, 06:50   #29

Boat: Catalina 470

Mark,
While the "antenna splitter" (actually a relay and splitter) does switch the VHF antenna to the AIS transponder when it is transmitting, and shunts the VHF radio's input, this does NOT completely eliminate all signal from getting to the VHF radio...
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
What I found odd is that we are using an antenna splitter and still see this. I can't figure out how we are seeing our own AIS transmission when the shared antenna is electrically disconnected from the radio during that time.
In actual practice, the isolation between the two (between the AIS transponder and VHF radio) is typically only 60db - 70db, which is more than enough to keep the two transmitters from damaging the others' receivers, but still allows that transmitted signal to be a very strong signal on the other's receiver!!

This 60db to 70db loss, is the same as you get from a distance of a few hundred yards/meters, at 156mhz....meaning that your VHF radio is receiving your AIS transponder's signal at about the same signal level as it would a 2-watt radio at a distance of a few hundred yards away from your boat....
As an approx. real-world example, think of a guy with a 5-watt handheld VHF radio, in his dinghy, about 1/4 - 1/2 mile away from your boat....this is about the same signal strength that your VHF radio is receiving your AIS transponder's signal...

I hope this explains things, without complication...

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 07:11   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks John - mystery solved for me.

Mark

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: