Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2008, 16:50   #1

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Anybody using NavNet 3D

I've been Nobeltech fan and loved using my PC for chartplotting but this looks interesting. There is a good discussion at Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: NavNet 3D, moving toward the nitty gritty

Anybody using one yet?
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 19:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Furuno hasn't shipped any 3D systems yet -- at least not to the USA. I've got two chartplotters and a new radar on order, though. They are supposed to start shipping next week. Depending on the backorder pipeline, I may have something to report soon.

I've already received the GPS and stabilized fluxgate, but these are the same units Furuno has been using in their previous system.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 22:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Paul,
I just ordered a Furuno Navnet 3D with the blackbox, 4 foot open array high res antenna, GPS and sounder from Johnson-Hicks in Sausalito. Eventually I will order the AIS and autopilot when the budget allows for it.

It would be fun to compare notes.

Blue, I have been using Nobeltec for many years which I really like. I'm going to keep both systems onboard using two VGA monitors..one for each system....one as a backup for the other. I hear the Admiral version is really nice as I have been using the older version.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 09:20   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

David,

Please do let us (me!) know when your new gear arrives. I will definitely report my observations as I install mine.

I plan to use my SR-162 AIS receiver with the Navnet3D chartplotters. Are you considering a full AIS transponder, or the receive-only unit?
www.sailvalis.com
Old 30-04-2008, 09:41   #5

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
David,

Please do let us (me!) know when your new gear arrives. I will definitely report my observations as I install mine.

I plan to use my SR-162 AIS receiver with the Navnet3D chartplotters. Are you considering a full AIS transponder, or the receive-only unit?
Paul,
I'd be interested in the actual current draw of the chartplotter/radar when you get your system installed.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 10:20   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Paul,
I'd be interested in the actual current draw of the chartplotter/radar when you get your system installed.

Paul L
Yeah, me too! (I've got the specs, but you never really know until it's all hooked up and running). Power consumption is one of my hot-buttons and I promise to put up a full report as soon as I can.
www.sailvalis.com
Old 30-04-2008, 10:30   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
David,

Hi Paul,
Sounds good, lets talk when we get our equipment.

Can a non-Furuno AIS transponder work with this system? That would be nice because Furuno's is expensive. I had the impression it is proprietary equipment only (other than a regular LCD monitor plugging into the back box), but I hope I am wrong.

I do plan on getting the AIS transceiver because I spend lots of time on station (not making way) sampling while high speed ferries and other commercial vessels are passing by at night and sometimes in fog. I think it is safer to show up on their screens as an actual vessel with my course and speed displayed as opposed to being just a radar contact. I have also been asked by Vessel Traffic if I have AIS when I have had to check in because I am towing something. I have embarrassingly had to answer no, I don't have AIS. Apparently, Traffic is used to those commercial vessels who check in to already have an AIS transponder. I think it is a good thing to show up on VTS's radar with the details that AIS provides. It probably makes their job a little easier as well. I think the extra cost of the transceiver is worth the additional safety. From a cruisers perspective, its probably a real good idea out on the ocean.

David

Paul L,
I believe I saw the current draw in their literature. But of course, what the brochures say and what reality is, may be two different things.

FURUNO NavNet 3D

David

Old 30-04-2008, 10:49   #8

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Yeah, me too! (I've got the specs, but you never really know until it's all hooked up and running). Power consumption is one of my hot-buttons and I promise to put up a full report as soon as I can.
Paul,
I'm hoping there are some decent power-save modes that can be setup. This thing is basically an x86 PC running Embedded XP. It should be possible to get down to reasonable power, I'm just not sure how much flexibility they give with back lighting, display on/off, radar sweep timing etc. I'll go with the NavNet3D this summer if it can be setup for reasonable power consumption.

I'm also interested in finding out how complete the world-wide chart coverage is going to be -- and how much.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 19:58   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Can a non-Furuno AIS transponder work with this system? That would be nice because Furuno's is expensive. I had the impression it is proprietary equipment only (other than a regular LCD monitor plugging into the back box), but I hope I am wrong.
I was told by the Furuno rep that the chartplotter (and I must assume the black-box) will accept standard NMEA 0183 AIS data over the NMEA input port, which can operate at 38.4 kbit/s. If this isn't correct I'm going to be upset!

I don't see why a third-party AIS transponder wouldn't work, since in addition to outputting NMEA AIS data they should accept standard NMEA data for position, speed, course, rate of turn, etc. There also must be a generic way to program the transponder with the static info, but I have not looked into this myself. So far, none of the class-A transponders are particularly cheap. To interface to the Furuno you might need an external NMEA mux -- especially if you have multiple NMEA sources. I've already got the mux.

Of course I'm just guessing for now. It certainly does seem that having a full AIS transponder makes good sense in your case.
www.sailvalis.com
Old 02-05-2008, 00:59   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As reported by Panbo, the Navnet3D manuals are now online:
(I tried to enter the link here but it looks pretty bad, so here is the Panbo article): Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: NN3D shipping facts, & the Time Zero connection

They have the Operator's Manual and Installation Guides for the chartplotters and the Ethernet Hub. They also have the installation guide for the radar (look at the DSR2D, where they have the guide covering all the radars).
www.sailvalis.com
Old 02-05-2008, 03:52   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
From Furuno Manuals/Documents:
Client refused Session

[don't believe the link title - it works]

Includes
links to:
NavNet 3D Brochure (4MB)
NN3D MFD8/12 Operators Manual (5MB)
NN3D MFD8/12/BB Installation Guide (4MB)
Ethernet HUB 101 Installation Guide (347KB)
NavNet 3D Frequently Asked Questions (635KB)
Packing List MFD12 (16KB)
MFD view of connectors (133KB)

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 22:18   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just in case anybody is interested, I received the MFD8 chartplotter yesterday. They are supposed to be shipping me the MFD12 chartplotter and the DRS4D 4KW radar in a week or so.

I'm not going to rip out my old stuff and install the new until it all shows up, but I will probably hook up on the bench the pieces I do have and see what happens.
www.sailvalis.com
Old 17-05-2008, 23:33   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's good to hear Paul. I cant wait to get mine.

Old 17-05-2008, 23:52   #14

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
NavNet power

Quote:
I got one real data point last week. I just ordered an MFD12 and an MFD8, and am similarly concerned about power. A huge percentage is the LCD backlight. We fired up an MFD12 and observed a fairly steady 2.6 amps at full brightness, dropping to 1.1 amps with the backlight all the way down.

So the rule on my boat, of course, will be to dim the one not in use when moving between inside and outside helm stations!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 18-05-2008, 09:58   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A Brief Off-Topic Detour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
I got one real data point last week. I just ordered an MFD12 and an MFD8, and am similarly concerned about power. A huge percentage is the LCD backlight. We fired up an MFD12 and observed a fairly steady 2.6 amps at full brightness, dropping to 1.1 amps with the backlight all the way down.

So the rule on my boat, of course, will be to dim the one not in use when moving between inside and outside helm stations!
Steve,
I've been meaning to tell you how cool it is to see you here -- I remember following your bicycle adventures many years ago. My low-power crusade isn't as bold as yours was (is?), but every amp-hour drawn from my batteries feels like blood flowing from my veins!

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I was using a PocketPC to offload many of my chartplotter functions, but recently I have switched over to the EeePC. My plan is to run only the EeePc, GPS, and wind/speed electronics when I can (especially during multi-week offshore passages), and run the chartplotter/radar then needed.

I know, I know, "All you need is the wind, your sails, a clock, and a sextant!"

I will report back on the power consumption (etc) for the new Furuno gear.
www.sailvalis.com

Tags
navnet