Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 16:46   #1

Any Panasonic Toughbook Laptop Fans Out There?

I just retired my CF-29 and ordered a new CF-31 with internal GPS and 4G LTE radios and a backlit keyboard. The daylight viewable screen is a joy and the docking station will keep it in place even in a capsize. They are not cheap but my last one outlasted 4 other laptops. Being able to use it in the cockpit in the rain as a backup chartplotter is a nice perk. This is a review of an older model (mine is an i7 with 16gig of ram and a 1 Tb SSD) but is a good description of why owners love them...

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/la...oughbook-cf-31
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 18:16   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Any Panasonic Toughbook Laptop Fans Out There?

I used to be a fan of the toughbook until mine was rendered never quite as functional as new after sloshing in water on the salon floor for an hour or two during a particularly rough trip. It was then I realised that they rely upon a number of little rubber flap doors to maintain a degree of water tightness and dopey me had left one open in order to accommodate a wireless mouse dongle. Kudos though, it was only the battery charging circuitry that died. Everything else seemed to work again after drying out in the sun for a day or two. Of course they are low performance compared to most other laptops and even more so when factoring purchase cost. My "new" solution is a NUC anchored high and dry inside the cabin configured with VNC to allow a waterproof phone or tablet access to chartplotting functions when outside in bad weather in the event that the dedicated chartplotter packs it in (which also has remote connectivity via phones and tablets, but not PC's).
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 19:59   #3

Yeh, those waterproof doors have a new locking system now. I have a fixed system too (12v fanless i7 with 32 inch LCD) but if you want/need a laptop they are tough to beat :-) here's a short vid of the new door version being dunked.... https://youtu.be/jEpq5hs2mMs

As you can see, the new ones are submersible!
Old 15-12-2017, 06:09   #4

I just provided the sales guys phone number from the reseller via PM to someone. Happy to do the same for others. Flawless knowledgable service.

Here's the truly wild video they were playing on the Toughbook above of one being dragged by a 4 wheeler!!! https://youtu.be/0n6mX8Q1waA
Old 28-12-2017, 18:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Oday 28

If anybody is looking for batteries for the cf-73, which are almost non existent..there are four new on eBay..I bought one..should buy them all...
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 18:33   #6

Still using CF-29. When I got it used, 5 years ago for $40, I foolishly replaced Windows XP with Windows 7, making it excruciatingly slow. Been thinking of going back to XP if Open CPN can be used with XP. Otherwise will keep suffering the slow speed. Other than that I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. One complaint though - it only has 1 USB port and even that is awkward to use with most sticks. I'm using a short extension cord to remedy that deficiency.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 18:56   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Try linux mint and replace the hard disc with a cheap SSD to bring it up to speed.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 07:09   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Still using a CF-28..but need a good source for a new battery
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laptop