Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2014, 11:50   #31

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006
Re: Any Experience with Wireless Radar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Navico (Simrad, B&G, Lowrance) opened up their systems a couple years ago. OpenCPN uses their radars, as well as Garmin's I think.

I don't know why you think the Furuno is open - it requires Furuno software to use.

NMEA2000 is not a proprietary protocol for all other data. Raymarine stupidly sticks to proprietary connectors for some of their stuff, and uses non-standard protocols for even fewer, but it is very easy to vote with your money on this - others do not do what RM does.

Cabling and connectors for NMEA are inexpensive if you don't buy kits from marine vendors. Even the marine vender ones are not proprietary (Raymarine excepted). Any radome you install will still need a large power cable - the extra small Cat5 ethernet cable that wireless forgoes is inconsequential.

Most vendors now have wireless tablet integration that allows main plotter data to be mirrored and controlled remotely. Some have had this for years now.

I don't understand why you think an open-source piece of equipment won't need parts or repair compared to "closed" systems. Nobody is going to make hardware from Radio Shack bins, nor use such mil-spec components, burn in and testing that they will never break down.

You have some good points, but they are buried in an unexamined rant with little knowledge of what is current in the field/market.

Mark
Using lots of words and an obvious insult doesn't make you look any smarter. You assume way too much in your assessment of me and what I know.
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 11:51   #32

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Just look at the major players - Raymarine, Furuno, B&G, Simrad, etc - they all have wifi now with companion tablet apps. I don't know anything about Garmin, but thought they were doing this also.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 11:54   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastdaddy View Post
Using lots of words and an obvious insult doesn't make you look any smarter. You assume way too much in your assessment of me and what I know.
Perhaps you could point out which parts of what I wrote are incorrect, as well as those places I may have misinterpreted your postings?

I made no assumptions of you or your knowledge - just responded to the points you made in your posting - many of which were incorrect.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 22-12-2014, 12:08   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Mark,
Who? I know Garmin has another box you can buy that will Wi-Fi, but don't know it's capability.
Who can mirror and control remotely via I assume Wi-Fi?
I don't go to boat show etc., so my knowledge is stale to say the least.
Ray marine has this ability if you spend enough. Their MFDs have built in wifi.
Old 22-12-2014, 12:44   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Perhaps you could point out which parts of what I wrote are incorrect, as well as those places I may have misinterpreted your postings?

I made no assumptions of you or your knowledge - just responded to the points you made in your posting - many of which were incorrect.

Mark

Your entire list of points were incorrect. Read my posts more literally next time without adding your own interpretations. Drop the whole last paragraph that is insulting would be a good start.
You asked.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-12-2014, 14:41   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Wifi Radar...makes me think of the six million dollar man. Sure, we can rebuild him, but is that economically feasible? A lot of development work and practical issues, and if it is done to an open standard, no guarantee of payback.

Consider, first, will WiFi have the bandwidth? Much of the audio industry has gone to a new proprietary (pay to join) standard for wireless MUSIC in the home. They could have gone WiFi, but they claim too much interference and dropouts with conventional standards, so they wrote a new one that sniffs for clear channels and then channel hops before you can hear any interruptions in the music. If you've ever done Wifi video at home, you know it skips and stops at times, and that would be unacceptable for radar. So "plain" Wifi? Probably just won't do, especially inshore where there will be other users.

Then there's the matter of the controls. All the brains will have to be installed aloft in the dome, and all adjustments made over the Wifi connection. Will the computer circuits have interference problems next to the dome? Will the dome need to be drawing power in "sleep" mode all the time, or will you still run power cables to it via a switched relay?

I'm sure the technology is possible, but I suspect the payback is too speculative to make it worth the investment for any vendors right now. Too many issues--and those were just the ones in the first ten seconds.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 14:52   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastdaddy View Post
Your entire list of points were incorrect. Read my posts more literally next time without adding your own interpretations. Drop the whole last paragraph that is insulting would be a good start.
You asked.
Consider the last sentence dropped.

All of my points are correct. If they are not, please correct them - just saying they are incorrect doesn't make them so.

For example, do you believe NMEA communication protocols are proprietary to any one manufacturer? Cabling and connectors also? Do you not believe there are wifi-enabled MFD's currently available? Do you really think the Furuno system is an open system available to anyone?

I did read your post literally and responded with correct information. Maybe you can better explain why you think differently than I posted, and what you meant by open-sourced gear will not need parts or repair?

I am only staying with this only because your type of thinking and understanding of current gear is common among others, and getting the facts straight can save some from making mistakes. Otherwise, it doesn't matter what you think.

Mark

Old 22-12-2014, 16:05   #38

Boat: Dufour 43

Quote:
Do any of the multi-function machines, chart plotter, RADAR and depth, have a Wi-fi capability so that their screens can be seen on another device?

My ideal would be to be able to see chart and possibly RADAR overlay and AIS on something wireless down below, whether that be IOS or tablet , I don't care.
I'm after something that I can see heading, position AIS and RADAR when I am down below and not on watch, doe this exist?
I know Raymarine does WiFi that you can see and control on Android. BUT I would really like to overlay on OpenCPN. I do keep my phone handy to view the MFD down below but I must drop the onboard Wifi and switch over to the MFD Wifi. The Raymarine is set up only as a access point, we should be able to join a network...you reading this Raymarine?

I do run OpenCPN on a Surface Pro 3 Tablet that I carry around the boat, plus run it on a laptop below connected to NMEA 0183 (Any NMEA 2000 interface coming soon?) and WEFAX/HAM email. All this is connected via Wifi.

So Radar would be welcome.

Scott
sailsunfurled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 16:59   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I looked the Raymarine up, it seems it will do what I want.
We don't leave for two more years, and I keep telling myself don't buy the electronics until leaving is imminent, plus I've got lots to do before then. I just bought a Gen, prop, and new refrigeration, I plan on a spillover. So I've got the next few months covered.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 06:17   #40
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
I looked the Raymarine up, it seems it will do what I want.
We don't leave for two more years, and I keep telling myself don't buy the electronics until leaving is imminent, plus I've got lots to do before then. I just bought a Gen, prop, and new refrigeration, I plan on a spillover. So I've got the next few months covered.
My thoughts are changing a bit as I delay buying replacement stuff after the lightning strike settlement. Two major changes are that I am about to remove the SSB setup rather than try to repair or replace it, and I'm also now thinking that I really don't NEED a radar for anything. I want one, sure, but I don't need it. If I had just started buying what I THOUGHT I would need up front, I would have put the SSB and radar high on the priority list. Now, after two years of thinking about it and talking to others, the SSB is off the list entirely and the radar is way down in priority. But then, there's a good chance that would be different if I lived and sailed someplace with reduced visibility issues, like New England or the UK. We don't have fog here. Nor snow. Only time I'd really need a radar would be going into a strange marina at night, or to find birds while fishing. Short term solution to no radar....don't go into strange marinas at night. Wow. just saved four thousand bucks.
Old 31-12-2016, 15:57   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Some general questions.

Situation considering owing to lack of new magnetron for JRC 1500 to bite bullet and buy new system. Type of sailing: Frequently sail nights among many small wooden fishing boats with no navigation lights. Also encounter big steel floating drums about 4 meters long. Saw four of these within a few days.

Market analysis: Concluding B&G broadband is getting high marks on their 4G and like claims about seeing objects up close. Base unit is about $2000 USD and does not include display. Like idea of two sets of alarms with Zeus display but no idea of cost of display. Advantage Furuno on base cost and display cost. Now that these have been out a few years, any long term maintenance issues? How much does display cost?

Base unit price advantage is with Furuno. It is about $700 less expensive and I do like dual wireless display option since it would be nice to "see" what is going on without leaving my cabin.

The Furuno 1st Watch Wireless Radar claims an available range of 1/8 nm. Can you actually see small wooden vessels up close with this "conventional" radar? I found a 2012 post where CF poster claimed he could spot dug out canoe at 100 ft on Furuno. Apparently model before 1st watch.

I can report with my, last legs JRC 1500, these types of fishing boats were invisible. Further in a heavy down pour even huge ships disappeared into nothing but noise no matter how I tuned the rain feature. But that JRC was 1990's design and alteady had old magnetron when I was using it.

I am unable to find an Android app for the Furuno. Is there still no Android compatible app? The Furuno forces me to buy Apple display which when purchased redundant will cost more than the radar.

Any budget sailors try a knockoff Chinese iPad with this radar? Is there really no Android option?

What is new magnetron cost on the new Furuno? How long do they last?
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 16:46   #42
Marine Service Provider

Well to further complicate my choice I just read about the Furuno Furuno DRS4D-NXT Solid-State Doppler Radar.

By solid state meaning no magnetron I gather this is their entry into "broadband radar".

Excellent article on this radar at:

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Testing Furuno DRS4D-NXT solid-state Doppler radome, "Radar Redefined" most definitely

The display in the article above is $2900 which is far more than then radar. Any less expensive display options?
Old 01-01-2017, 02:25   #43
Marine Service Provider

Current conclusions

JRC 1500 is not worth repairing costs

Furuno Solid state is really neat, however, cost of display makes it a no go. Total investment reaches over $5,000 and I have to modify my existing radar tower to fit the big 24 inch diameter dome. Perhaps someday they will put this onto Iphones

Furuno wireless combination with qty two Apple I phones will provide redundant displays and is likely adequate for what I need and total investment is under $2,000. Dome is under 20 inches in diameter and fits my existing tower with no modification.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:45   #44

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Some general questions.

Situation considering owing to lack of new magnetron for JRC 1500 to bite bullet and buy new system. Type of sailing: Frequently sail nights among many small wooden fishing boats with no navigation lights. Also encounter big steel floating drums about 4 meters long. Saw four of these within a few days.

Market analysis: Concluding B&G broadband is getting high marks on their 4G and like claims about seeing objects up close. Base unit is about $2000 USD and does not include display. Like idea of two sets of alarms with Zeus display but no idea of cost of display. Advantage Furuno on base cost and display cost. Now that these have been out a few years, any long term maintenance issues? How much does display cost?

Base unit price advantage is with Furuno. It is about $700 less expensive and I do like dual wireless display option since it would be nice to "see" what is going on without leaving my cabin.

The Furuno 1st Watch Wireless Radar claims an available range of 1/8 nm. Can you actually see small wooden vessels up close with this "conventional" radar? I found a 2012 post where CF poster claimed he could spot dug out canoe at 100 ft on Furuno. Apparently model before 1st watch.

I can report with my, last legs JRC 1500, these types of fishing boats were invisible. Further in a heavy down pour even huge ships disappeared into nothing but noise no matter how I tuned the rain feature. But that JRC was 1990's design and alteady had old magnetron when I was using it.

I am unable to find an Android app for the Furuno. Is there still no Android compatible app? The Furuno forces me to buy Apple display which when purchased redundant will cost more than the radar.

Any budget sailors try a knockoff Chinese iPad with this radar? Is there really no Android option?

What is new magnetron cost on the new Furuno? How long do they last?
I've had Furuno radars on my trollers, the last being an 1830. They are quite capable of being tuned to see logs, kayaks, even birds. Two examples:
1. Running south through Queen Charlotte Strait at the end of the season, we got a VHF report of a big log. We were able to find it and avoid it thanks to the radar.
2. Another year we went southbound through Dodd Narrows planning to anchor behind and isand when the radar showed something ahead. This area is known for log rafts breaking up, so we slowed way down and looked for the objects. It turned out to be a family in kayaks paddling around in the middle of the night holding up their cell phones for lights. Cell phones do not put out any significant light. Without paying close attention to a very good radar, things could have gotten very ugly.

If you're going to be underway in poor visibility, get a good radar and learn how to use it.

Cheers,
Old 02-01-2017, 14:46   #45
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for reply.

Looks like I am set on going with the Furuno.

I would pay for the new Furuno solidstate, if the interface was less expensive than $2800. Note: It may also require heading module but unsure why. If display has built in GPS why?

So looks like the wireless for me. This is on ebay now for less than $1000

Tags
enc, radar