Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2014, 07:53   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Any current Maretron Wind Speed Users?

I'm getting ready to upgrade, and I would like to hear from any actual users of the Maretron ultrasonic weather station, WSO100. I really like the idea of no moving parts at the masthead (except for the trusty old Windex). Having the additional data such as temp, dew point and barometer isn't bad either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WSO100_web.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	78550  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 11:38   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Any current Maretron Wind Speed users?

We have had one for 2.5yrs now. Works great. Ours had a problem after 2 years where the humidity sensor failed. I sent the WSO100 back to Maretron and had a brand new replacement one in 3 days. And a ballcap.

Personally, I think the Airmar one is a better unit - it is smaller and contains an accelerometer, GPS and compass. However, it is twice the price too.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 15:18   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Mine works great. I am very pleased with it. Working with my Simrad/B&G autopilot, it steers just superbly in wind-following mode. My helmsmanship doesn't even come close. Birds can't break it, unlike my previous Raymarine vane.

Just one downside -- it is difficult to mount. It is not actually made for mounting on a sailboat masthead and Maretron do not sell any hardware for doing so.

You should consider the French ultrasonic wind sensors -- LJ Capteurs, IIRC. They are much smaller and are specially made for sailing (unlike the Maretron, which is intended to be a weather instrument). I bet they are even better, and they will come with appropriate mounting hardware.

I would not be interested in the Airmar ones, myself. They are smaller, but query whether that reduces their accuracy -- the legs are closer together. And you need a GPS and accelerometer on the top of your mast like a fish needs a bicycle. On top of all that, they are more expensive. Bleh.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 15:37   #4

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

The CV7 looks good. I'm not sure if there's anyplace in the US that sells/supports it though.

I've been considering the Maretron unit myself for quite some time. No moving parts and NMEA would be great!
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 16:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You should consider the French ultrasonic wind sensors -- LJ Capteurs, IIRC. They are much smaller and are specially made for sailing (unlike the Maretron, which is intended to be a weather instrument). I bet they are even better, and they will come with appropriate mounting hardware.

I would not be interested in the Airmar ones, myself. They are smaller, but query whether that reduces their accuracy -- the legs are closer together. And you need a GPS and accelerometer on the top of your mast like a fish needs a bicycle. On top of all that, they are more expensive. Bleh.
Interesting. The LJC transducer is even smaller than the Airmar, yet you recommend it while arguing that Airmar's may be too small for accuracy. It also only speaks NMEA0183, so you will need a converter if you plan to use it in an N2K network.

The Airmar uses its accelerometer to stabilize the wind direction/speed as the mast rotates around up there. The GPS is unaffected by being mounted on top of the mast. The compass is probably a different story. But why not have backups?

They do cost more.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 31-03-2014, 19:05   #6

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I have the Airmar WX200. However, my Garmin chartplotter units will only pull down the GPS and heading coordinates from the Garmin devices. The airmar doesn't even show up as an option under these settings.

With that said, I am generally very pleased with my choice. However, when mounting any of these devices be sure to pay very close attention to the distances required for mounting at the masthead.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:48   #7

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39

[QUOTE=colemj;1506476]Interesting. It also only speaks NMEA0183, so you will need a converter if you plan to use it in an N2K network. /QUOTE]

I contacted LJC nearly 2 years ago about this very issue and was told " they are working on it ". It shouldn't take so long to move into the modern network world. Particularly as they are marketing to the marine crowd. Too bad. I didn't buy one then and won't until they move forward.
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Just one downside -- it is difficult to mount. It is not actually made for mounting on a sailboat masthead and Maretron do not sell any hardware for doing so.
I was thinking about this too. Check this out.

Schaefer Marine Hardware - Detail

Might work.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:18   #9

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

It seems to me that any machine shop should be able to fabricate a bracket to mount it.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:31   #10

Some aluminum bar stock, a vise and a drill and you can quickly make a fitting for it that puts it up high and forward just like the regular wind instrument wands.

Mark

Old 01-04-2014, 11:02   #11

Boat: Able 50

You can mount those things on any of the small navigation light fitting mounts. They all have 1" thread. There are lots to pick from - some plastic, some stainless. Here is one.

Name:   700474.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  4.2 KB
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:45   #12

The problem with those fittings is that they do not put the unit in clear air unaffected by other stuff on the masthead and the wash of the mainsail. Also, they can block sectors of navigation and anchor lights.

Mark

Old 01-04-2014, 15:05   #13

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The problem with those fittings is that they do not put the unit in clear air unaffected by other stuff on the masthead and the wash of the mainsail. Also, they can block sectors of navigation and anchor lights.

Mark
So fit a longer one. They come up to 4 ft.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:42   #14

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I plan to mount mine on top of the LED masthead light (the cable running down the black bar dividing port and starboard). This assembly will then sit atop a Tri-Lens radar reflector, sold by West Marine (and developed here in San Diego). Assuming the electronics of the LED nav light doesn't affect the electronics of the wind sensor array, this package will serve a number of useful roles for my boat.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 23:06   #15

I intend to use a WSO100 on my recently acquired boat. I will have a mount fabricated that is essentially a copy of the standard forward angled up tube on most wind sensors. I imagine it will be aluminum or 316 stainless ( the WSO100 is light and reasonably small ), probably 1/2 or 3/4" diameter, then terminating in a vertical fitting that is the necessary 1"x14 size. Hollow for the N2K cable, with a mount plate at the end to attach to the masthead. I didn't think this up. I am just copying what's out there. The LJC Capteurs CV-7 is an example.
CV7 - LCJ Capteurs
I would consider the LJC sensor, but they stubbornly refuse to adapt to NMEA 2000 connectivity.
Am I missing something?

Tags
wind, current