Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-04-2014, 07:43   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Any current Maretron Wind Speed users?

They are a small company and probably have resource limitations. You could always connect it to N2K through an Actisense or similar converter. For about the same price as the LCJ, you can get the N2K Airmar and receive extra features to boot.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:38   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The problem with those fittings is that they do not put the unit in clear air unaffected by other stuff on the masthead and the wash of the mainsail. Also, they can block sectors of navigation and anchor lights.

Mark
Exactly. And the stainless steel antenna mounting poles commonly seen are too heavy for the masthead - too much stress on the bracket. So I had an alu pole made; then that had too small id to take the cable end - alu pole thicker walled than stainless. By the the time this was all over I had racked up a pretty good machine shop bill.

Old 07-04-2014, 21:40   #18

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I have never had problems with the airflow being blocked. The airflow readings are solid 360 degrees. I suppose if you put the sensor within a few inches of a large obstruction that would cause problems but we use the "follow wind" feature on our autopilot without issues and its only 9 inches from an 1/2" wide galaxy antenna.

IN regards to occlusion... don't use a masthead all around. Use a stern light and a R/G.
Old 08-04-2014, 00:40   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

I'm very happy with my Maretron!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:43   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I have never had problems with the airflow being blocked. The airflow readings are solid 360 degrees. I suppose if you put the sensor within a few inches of a large obstruction that would cause problems but we use the "follow wind" feature on our autopilot without issues and its only 9 inches from an 1/2" wide galaxy antenna.

IN regards to occlusion... don't use a masthead all around. Use a stern light and a R/G.
By "in clear air", I wasn't referring to blocked air, although this is also bad. I was referring to getting a true wind reading unaffected by air swirls, updrafts, etc. There is a reason that wind instruments are always mounted on long wands that put them very much in front of the main and head sails and masthead gear, and not directly on top of the sails and masthead.

Delmarrey shows a good solution, although I may have mounted it just a tad higher to clear the anchor light (tough to judge the relative heights of those from the picture).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:06   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I'm very happy with my Maretron!

That's a good idea! Going forward with the sensor rather than up. I went up,m and I worry about the stress on the mounting from the lever arm. If I ever have trouble with it, I'll try your approach!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:57   #22

Quote:
By "in clear air", I wasn't referring to blocked air, although this is also bad. I was referring to getting a true wind reading unaffected by air swirls, updrafts, etc. There is a reason that wind instruments are always mounted on long wands that put them very much in front of the main and head sails and masthead gear, and not directly on top of the sails and masthead.

Delmarrey shows a good solution, although I may have mounted it just a tad higher to clear the anchor light (tough to judge the relative heights of those from the picture).

Mark
I did that as well. I have a "diving board" forward and on top of the diving board a 12" pole upon which the sensor is mounted. I also was also concerned about stress and vibration but the sensor is so light (.8 pounds vs. .2 pounds for a "normal windvane") that my concerns were unfounded.

There is some minimal forward blockage of my tricolor because of the 7/8" pole. Being at the mast head, the arc of blocked visibility moves quite a bit so its not like another boat would not see us coming. Friends boat have not reported an issue seeing our lights.

Is the $1300 sensor worth more overall than a $600 wind sensor? Maybe, maybe not. Humidity, temperature, and pressure can all be collected by cheap instruments at deck level. The ability to determine exact true wind? Certainly helpful to determine where you are in a weather pattern but maybe more so for racing (which I don't claim to know anything about so please don't flame me). Being able to see the real pitch, yawl, and roll of the vessel? Again, for racing yes...

Do I regret installing the airmar? No, do I like being able to see all the fancy data... yes... its fun and easy to graph barometric pressure directly from the helm. Knowing if the true wind is really increasing? At some point this may be useful but I'm not that good a sailor yet.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:02   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

The masthead tricolor I installed two weeks ago, on someone's mast, has a 1/2" black plastic vertical panel dividing the port and starboard LEDs. This is where I will be leading the N2K cable when I mount the wind sensor above the tricolor, which will be seated above a tri-lens radar reflector.
Old 08-04-2014, 13:19   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
The masthead tricolor I installed two weeks ago, on someone's mast, has a 1/2" black plastic vertical panel dividing the port and starboard LEDs. This is where I will be leading the N2K cable when I mount the wind sensor above the tricolor, which will be seated above a tri-lens radar reflector.
What manufacturer of tricolor?
Old 08-04-2014, 15:08   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's a good idea! Going forward with the sensor rather than up. I went up,m and I worry about the stress on the mounting from the lever arm. If I ever have trouble with it, I'll try your approach!
I built it this way so there would not be any turbulence from the foresails or even the mast. I depend on my wind instrument quite a bit and I did not want any variance from other sources.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0932.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	79011  

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 15:32   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I did that as well. I have a "diving board" forward and on top of the diving board a 12" pole upon which the sensor is mounted. I also was also concerned about stress and vibration but the sensor is so light (.8 pounds vs. .2 pounds for a "normal windvane") that my concerns were unfounded.

There is some minimal forward blockage of my tricolor because of the 7/8" pole. Being at the mast head, the arc of blocked visibility moves quite a bit so its not like another boat would not see us coming. Friends boat have not reported an issue seeing our lights.

Is the $1300 sensor worth more overall than a $600 wind sensor? Maybe, maybe not. Humidity, temperature, and pressure can all be collected by cheap instruments at deck level. The ability to determine exact true wind? Certainly helpful to determine where you are in a weather pattern but maybe more so for racing (which I don't claim to know anything about so please don't flame me). Being able to see the real pitch, yawl, and roll of the vessel? Again, for racing yes...

Do I regret installing the airmar? No, do I like being able to see all the fancy data... yes... its fun and easy to graph barometric pressure directly from the helm. Knowing if the true wind is really increasing? At some point this may be useful but I'm not that good a sailor yet.
The Maretron also does temperature, pressure, and humidity. The only functional difference is GPS and heading sensor, which the Airmar has.

Neither Airmar nor Maretron does True Wind -- your system will calculate that based on Apparent Wind Speed and Apparent Wind Direction provided by your wind sensor, combined with Heading data and Speed Through Water data given by network sensors.
Old 08-04-2014, 15:39   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The Maretron also does temperature, pressure, and humidity. The only functional difference is GPS and heading sensor, which the Airmar has.

Neither Airmar nor Maretron does True Wind -- your system will calculate that based on Apparent Wind Speed and Apparent Wind Direction provided by your wind sensor, combined with Heading data and Speed Through Water data given by network sensors.
Neither of which can be used by my Garmin chartplotter! I was quite dismayed by the fact that the Garmin doesn't even see these sentences from the WX200, or maybe only sees the sentences from its own GPS unit.

Overall, if you consider either the maretron or the airmar price point, its not too bad vs. using a kit made up of separate units plus all the additional cabling.

Oddly, BTW... birds will not sit on my masthead. They will sit on everyone else's in anchorage...but not mine.
Old 08-04-2014, 15:51   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I built it this way so there would not be any turbulence from the foresails or even the mast. I depend on my wind instrument quite a bit and I did not want any variance from other sources.

Outstanding!! I wish I had seen that before I did mine; what you have done is much better.

Here is what mine looks like:

Name:	P1000683.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	79019

Name:	P1000685.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	79020

Name:	P1000691.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	79021
Old 08-04-2014, 15:54   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Any current Maretron Wind Speed Users?

Your Airmar GPS and compass output standard N2K PGN's. I don't understand why your Garmin does not recognize them. It sounds like a setup issue.

Mark

Old 08-04-2014, 16:15   #30

Re: Any current Maretron Wind Speed Users?

Quote:
Your Airmar GPS and compass output standard N2K PGN's. I don't understand why your Garmin does not recognize them. It sounds like a setup issue.

Mark
I think it is competing with the internal and external Garmin GPS. The airmar does not show up as an option at all on the GPS and course settings, although it does work for the environmental and other settings.

Tags
wind, current

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: