Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 11:05   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Anti-Theft GPS system?

"I'm pretty sceptical of these GPS trackers. What's stopping would-be thieves from simply locating and removing the tracking device? There aren't that many places to hide them on a boat after all."

Smaller than a cigarette pack, requires only two wire for power. You don't think that could easily be wired up behind the breaker panel, looking like a junction box? Wired up in the head, under the hull joint, behind a cabinet? Wired up in the engine spaces, next to a vent cowling? Wired up in plain sight next to a barometer or thermometer or other decorative fixture?

Remember that anyone who is planning to steal a big slow conspicuous object like a sailboat is probably not a genius to start with. Geniuses rob banks and corporations.

If the folks who try to prevent their bulldozers and skiploaders from being stolen can figure out a place to use these--and they do use them--it shouldn't take a lot of imagination to hide one on a boat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:24   #17

Boat: Sunbeam 44
Re: Anti-Theft GPS system?

I have a Yacht Sentinel
http://www.yacht-sentinel.com/boat-security/
Great bit of kit - special lower power PIR is good, it even turns my fridge on as I fly out to the boat for a cold beer arrival - but it's only SMS - so you know someone's onboard or it is on the move before it goes out of coverage.
d4raffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps