Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2014, 21:38   #1

Antenna Placement

I was wondering why i dont see people mount their VHF antennas on the shroud spreader? It seems like a nice safe place from lightning and protected from jib torment. I would run insulated support(s) to keep the whip from banging into the mast or shroud. What am I missing??

Also, when i bought my boat it had big powerline style insulators on the backstay. Did they use the backstay as an antenna? Is it suitable for VHF???
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 23:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Antenna placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared View Post
I was wondering why i dont see people mount their VHF antennas on the shroud spreader? It seems like a nice safe place from lightning and protected from jib torment. I would run insulated support(s) to keep the whip from banging into the mast or shroud. What am I missing??

Also, when i bought my boat it had big powerline style insulators on the backstay. Did they use the backstay as an antenna? Is it suitable for VHF???
The masthead is the tallest point, and has the least interfering metal stuff. It really is the best place for the VHF antenna. I have my AIS antenna on the upper spreader, and while it works well, there is probably some interaction with the mast and shrouds. If for some reason you can't put the VHF antenna on the masthead, the spreader is probably your best alternative.

In the event of a lightning strike, I doubt that the spreader location would give much protection.

The large insulators on the backstay are so it can be used for a SSB antenna (3-30 MHz). This would not be appropriate for a VHF antenna.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 01:49   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared View Post

Although Paul E's post suggested the backstay was not appropriate for VHF, let me emphasis this point.

An insulated backstay is not suitable for VHF; not as in never, no, not OK and wont work!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 21:12   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Although Paul E's post suggested the backstay was not appropriate for VHF, let me emphasis this point.

An insulated backstay is not suitable for VHF; not as in never, no, not OK and wont work!
Yes, Geoff, but can I use it anyway???

Jim
Old 19-04-2014, 21:59   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yes, Geoff, but can I use it anyway???

Jim
How remiss of me!

I should have made my previous post more clear so please allow me to restate a more appropriate explanation.

Yes Jim, you can use the backstay for your VHF antenna; it will work for you quite well; however it won't work for Jared, nor for anyone else (including me). We are just not special enough...

It's all to do with RF propagation and who is special and who isn't. Look mate, it's going to easier to explain over a bottle of red when next you visit the sourthern isle
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:43   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Sailcraft

Hi Jared,
Interesting post re AIS antenna position. As we are on a different boat every trip we have tried many positions. I found that being on or near the spreaders gave us many blind spots especially when a ship passed abeam with our mast between the antenna and the ship. Recently I have been mounting it on the taff rail sometimes on a broom stick for elevation and this seems to give us the best range. The best option for us is taping into the mast top VHF antenna. Hope this helps.
Sailcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, men