Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 08:07   #1

Antenna Connection

I've noticed that some of the high end shortwave/ssb receivers have a connection on the back for a coaxial cable which I assume if for an antenna. Is this correct? If so, could I connect my coaxial VHF antenna to it with maybe some kind of cable splitter? Would that give better reception? If not, could I connect the sw/ssb receiver to one of the backstay chainplates and use that as an antenna? I can't afford to buy a marine transceiver with all it's attendant gear but i do want to get a sw/ssb receiver. Thanks.
nial
nial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:45   #2

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Re: Antenna Connection

We started out with a nice Soney portable short wave receiver only, and with a modem connected to the laptop, it was able to download Weather Fax as well.

You may get better reception by connecting the wire to a chainplate or mast bolt. Since it can't transmit, it can do no harm. It also "might" be better (IF it's a portable with LONG telescoping antennae), to receive in the cockpit, & swivel it for best reception. Experiment...

22 years ago, I have used an "either / or" switch to share the VHF with a FM radio, and it had some form of protection for the VHF, should the mike get keyed with the switch in the wrong position.

WARNING... You will blow out the VHF to key the mike with no antennae attached!

Also... a simple splitter will not work. When using the VHF, it would send it's transmission into the antennae AND the short wave radio, which is bad for both.
I would therefore avoid the VHF option as too risky.

Experiment with the rig option, it can't hurt...

Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna