Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 19:19   #16

Re: Another Satphone failure just when needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
ha, delivery capt said nobody in their right mind would be in the Sargasso during early October, not even satellites. InReach was excellent north of Bermuda and south of Virgin Islands, I used it instead of cellphone often because it was a great way to text cellphones on Antigua.
I pair my InReach with iPhone 6 and iPad Air. works fantastically. Last trip I found the best signal when the InReach was in the salon near a window. I could be in the opposite side hull in my forward cabin and the bluetooth worked flawlessly.
I found the OCENS weather to be useless in the north atlantic last October. I predicted weather better using barometer, eyes, and feel. Best was that I text my kids and they would text back with Predict Wind and Tropical Tidbits with the tracks of the various troffs and Invests
my InReach is great for dropping crumbs. family loves following my tracks. you can vary the crumb drop-rate quite a bit. you can also add comments to crumbs.
I TX/RX over 2,500 text messages in 10 days last October, $70 for the month. It was great
Didn't know about the comments on crumbs Thanks I see you're getting your moneys worth Great. That's unlimited crumbs too ?
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 19:28   #17
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21
Re: Another Satphone failure just when needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Didn't know about the comments on crumbs Thanks I see you're getting your moneys worth Great. That's unlimited crumbs too ?
if you get the unlimited plan you have unlimited texts and unlimited crumbs. I carry on a lot of shoreside business, Wx, and conversations with worried wife. $70 unlimited is a great deal, especially compared to cost of a SatComms set up.
I prefer text over talking, so InReach is better for me. SatComms is still not up to the reality of browsing or using the internet like home with speeds of 200Mbps, so I just don't expect to use any internet when offshore. any info you need can be texted by a long-suffering adult child!

Tags
phone