Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2015, 06:54   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Android marine instruments app

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
The NSS8 MFD has an anchor alarm but it's terrible. Can't adjust anchor location, can only drop anchor point at current location, can't edit alarm distance without resetting the whole alarm + drop
Ok. What I mean is Simrad Android App for gofree. Does it NOT have an anchor alarm built-in?

If you can only drop the anchor alarm wpt where the anchor is - just anchor first, then power to the point over the anchor, drop the alarm mark. Done.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:39   #32

Boat: 78ft ex racing catamaran

Thanks for everyone's input recently.

I have recently implemented

- configure boat deviation graph
- swiping between pages
- reading a raw NMEA 0183 data stream (so you don't need any extra equipment)
- switch between true and apparent values on the wind instrument
- switch between true and magnetic on heading instrument

The other things you suggested were

- anchor watch
- user defined pages/groupings
- Allow particular instrument display on multiple pages ie page 1=depth/speed, page 2=depth/bearing
- wind speed and dir tendency graphs (over time),
- full screen AIS display (plain 'radar' view),
- the app to work in both vert and horiz,
- route / WPT graphic "chart" screen (like seen on Garmin 72, etc).

If anyone has any NMEA 0183 data stream logs you can send me that would be very useful.
damianham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:30   #33

I really like the look of this, well done.

I must admit I wouldn't go with too much emphasis on swipe.

Yes, have a background 'big page' format to swipe between (a page or three of different instruments, for example). But on page 1 (main menu and use page) have say 6 gauges, which you can drag and drop tiles to from other pages, to configure it how you want, and from where you can opt for a display of 2, 4, or 6 instruments. Do it right and every member of the crew can have their own setup customised exactly how they want it (don't forget the cook).

I'd even allow a 'big' tile to have several tiles dropped onto it, so instruments that are basically numbers and easily read, or easy graphics to instantly note, can share a tile.

By just tapping the options of the personal display you use, I think it will improve reliability and ease of use, while actually at the wheel for example. Especially if using say a waterproof cover.

I think we have gone way too overboard in using things like swipe, and I for one am not interested in having a fixed touch screen instrument in the cockpit. Tap to expand, tap again to contract, rather then pinch.

If I am way off shore, in the cold, wet, and strong winds, at night in heavy offshore gear and thick insulated gloves, I'll take good switches and tapping, over anything touch screen where I have to try and swipe or pinch. A confirmatory beep and flash of an led (red so as not to destroy night vision) for a successful tap, would help.

A friend of mine designed the first electronic dashboard for cars, which first went into the Lagonda (Aston Martin). For the next few years (maybe decade or so), loads of new cars had electronic dashboards. Then everybody went back to what was much better to actually use.

I think we are hoisting ourselves with our own, unnecessary petard, with the present technology cul de sac. It's more about sales gimmickry than usability, where real stuff has to be done. In my humble opinion, of course.

If you make a feature of tapping rather than swiping, then I think you will be ideally placed for the return to common sense ergonomic usability, and its associated hardware.

I do think there is future potential for dramatically improved systems, but the nonsense we are messing around with today, "ain't it" (and is nothing like what is really needed, apart from anything else, it is nowhere near fast enough, and there's a lot of other 'anything else's').

As a builder of custom computers on the side, I was an early tester for Microsoft, and one of their first registered developers (and yes, I do think they have lost the plot, but they aren't alone in that). I was always interested in intuitive usability and ergonomics, and how they affected end users. Apart from everything else, done right, it dramatically improved the rate of customer support calls, and significantly helped new users.

Unfortunately as there are areas where the necessary technology will be kept with exclusive access, I think we are looking at a period of 50 to 100 years before people like us can have access to it. For example there were really useful things developed in the 1960's and 1970's, that we STILL don't have access to (nothing better has shown up, for it to be phased out, and into general use).

Dave's electronic dashboard did set him up for life though . . . . . .

I wish you every success with this (and will probably buy it just to have a look at it, if nothing else).
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:39   #34

Many thanks for this detailed response. I have already implemented swiped pages and also custom pages but I also like the idea of dragging and dropping onto tiles, will look into that.

Currently working on the anchor watch - almost done....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
I really like the look of this, well done.

I must admit I wouldn't go with too much emphasis on swipe.

Yes, have a background 'big page' format to swipe between (a page or three of different instruments, for example). But on page 1 (main menu and use page) have say 6 gauges, which you can drag and drop tiles to from other pages, to configure it how you want, and from where you can opt for a display of 2, 4, or 6 instruments. Do it right and every member of the crew can have their own setup customised exactly how they want it (don't forget the cook).

I'd even allow a 'big' tile to have several tiles dropped onto it, so instruments that are basically numbers and easily read, or easy graphics to instantly note, can share a tile.

By just tapping the options of the personal display you use, I think it will improve reliability and ease of use, while actually at the wheel for example. Especially if using say a waterproof cover.

I think we have gone way too overboard in using things like swipe, and I for one am not interested in having a fixed touch screen instrument in the cockpit. Tap to expand, tap again to contract, rather then pinch.

If I am way off shore, in the cold, wet, and strong winds, at night in heavy offshore gear and thick insulated gloves, I'll take good switches and tapping, over anything touch screen where I have to try and swipe or pinch. A confirmatory beep and flash of an led (red so as not to destroy night vision) for a successful tap, would help.

A friend of mine designed the first electronic dashboard for cars, which first went into the Lagonda (Aston Martin). For the next few years (maybe decade or so), loads of new cars had electronic dashboards. Then everybody went back to what was much better to actually use.

I think we are hoisting ourselves with our own, unnecessary petard, with the present technology cul de sac. It's more about sales gimmickry than usability, where real stuff has to be done. In my humble opinion, of course.

If you make a feature of tapping rather than swiping, then I think you will be ideally placed for the return to common sense ergonomic usability, and its associated hardware.

I do think there is future potential for dramatically improved systems, but the nonsense we are messing around with today, "ain't it" (and is nothing like what is really needed, apart from anything else, it is nowhere near fast enough, and there's a lot of other 'anything else's').

As a builder of custom computers on the side, I was an early tester for Microsoft, and one of their first registered developers (and yes, I do think they have lost the plot, but they aren't alone in that). I was always interested in intuitive usability and ergonomics, and how they affected end users. Apart from everything else, done right, it dramatically improved the rate of customer support calls, and significantly helped new users.

Unfortunately as there are areas where the necessary technology will be kept with exclusive access, I think we are looking at a period of 50 to 100 years before people like us can have access to it. For example there were really useful things developed in the 1960's and 1970's, that we STILL don't have access to (nothing better has shown up, for it to be phased out, and into general use).

Dave's electronic dashboard did set him up for life though . . . . . .

I wish you every success with this (and will probably buy it just to have a look at it, if nothing else).
Old 08-01-2016, 15:11   #35

Boat: Laguna 33

Glad this is in the works; there are some nice choices on iOS but really nothing as attractive as what you propose here for Android.

My hope for an NMEA instrument app is for one that plays really well with Openplotter. Your users are going to need some way to multiplex NMEA and get it into wifi, and this is a great way (provides a gui for kplex)... and by adding some dirt cheap hardware to a Raspberry Pi it can measure engine temperature, air temperature, bearing, angle of heel, barometric pressure, humidity, rate of turn... sadly no app can display all of this stuff.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ct-152754.html

It's a turnkey image and easy to use, but cobbling the hardware together may be intimidating to some.
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:17   #36

So......

I have made great strides recently. Recently completed are anchor watch, custom and mini instrument pages and an engine page. In the spirit of release early release often I would like to get this onto a boat to iron out the wrinkles. So I am looking for beta testers (especially in Asia/Thailand).

Anyone interested ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 18.09.52.png
Views:	180
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	116729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 18.10.42.png
Views:	164
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	116730  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 18.10.58.png
Views:	185
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	116731  
Old 14-01-2016, 10:30   #37

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Ok. What I mean is Simrad Android App for gofree. Does it NOT have an anchor alarm built-in?

If you can only drop the anchor alarm wpt where the anchor is - just anchor first, then power to the point over the anchor, drop the alarm mark. Done.

b.
all the app does is 'mirror' the chartplotter display, and allow you to use it. It's like having a second monitor, if that makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianham View Post
So......

I have made great strides recently. Recently completed are anchor watch, custom and mini instrument pages and an engine page. In the spirit of release early release often I would like to get this onto a boat to iron out the wrinkles. So I am looking for beta testers (especially in Asia/Thailand).

Anyone interested ?
I'll 100% give the anchor watch a try! What features does it have?
Old 14-01-2016, 11:01   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
all the app does is 'mirror' the chartplotter display, and allow you to use it. It's like having a second monitor, if that makes sense

I'll 100% give the anchor watch a try! What features does it have?
Not much at the moment. You set the anchor point when you drop the anchor, you set a guard circle radius and it plots boat position over time with the last hour and I will soon add a 24 hour history with a point every 10 minutes so you can see how the boat moved overnight. You can adjust the anchor location and it plays an alarm if the boat goes outside of the guard circle. Later on I will add things like sending an SMS alarm etc.
Old 14-01-2016, 13:49   #39

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Not much at the moment. You set the anchor point when you drop the anchor, you set a guard circle radius and it plots boat position over time with the last hour and I will soon add a 24 hour history with a point every 10 minutes so you can see how the boat moved overnight. You can adjust the anchor location and it plays an alarm if the boat goes outside of the guard circle. Later on I will add things like sending an SMS alarm etc.
Sounds great!
Old 14-01-2016, 16:15   #40

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
So......

Anyone interested ?
I'm cruising Phang Nga and Phuket at the moment. Can I be of help. Using Navionics on an Android phone and tablet and a new Raymarine A78 with wifi

Sent from my K00C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-01-2016, 23:23   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
I'm cruising Phang Nga and Phuket at the moment. Can I be of help. Using Navionics on an Android phone and tablet and a new Raymarine A78 with wifi

Sent from my K00C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Any chance I can join you on your boat for a couple of days ? I am in BKK at the moment
Old 15-01-2016, 01:41   #42

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

I think we can arrange something. Will send a PM.
Old 25-01-2016, 00:40   #43

Boat: Moody 44

Great project.

This is whats missing from OpenPlotter.
There seems to be more than one developer heading towards the end-goal of custom NMEA displays but you seem to have broken the back of the job. Trouble is they seem to be on different platforms.
Any chance of this ending up on Raspbian ?
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 01:34   #44
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
There seems to be more than one developer heading towards the end-goal of custom NMEA displays
The signalk instruments display seems to be moving forward now as well, demo here.. Should run on anything capable of displaying a Web page.

http://demo.signalk.org/instrumentpanel
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 03:46   #45

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Looks like a great solution and if you can get it working reliably I'm sure you will do well.

For your anchor alarm, I don't find one that only sets the anchor position where you are to be very useful (I know many are like that). I like to set mine while reversing under increasing power to ensure the anchor is set. I enter the length of rode and point the phone in the direction of the anchor. The app then uses the GPS and compass to calculate where the anchor is positioned.

A few weeks ago I was anchored in some really soft mud, and whenever a strong gust came, the anchor would drag a little. It would be good to be able to reset the position easily.

Anchor Alert has these features. Maybe that will give you some ideas.

Tags
marine, men, rum