Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 09:52   #1

An HF transreceiver on board...

I would like to understand more about the possibilities I have with a HAM/marine hf radio on board.

Im not currently in the market for a pactor modem just yet.

I'm sure there are various netsand I would be happy if somebody could tell me more about the frequencies they use.

I read a past post about downloading weather fax and I find this interesting!!

What else??
Thank you for your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
unanchored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 11:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: An HF transreceiver on board...

You will need a Ham (general class) license to use a pactor modem for email. But you can obtain a simple station license that will allow you to tx on marine SSB frequencies.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 11:30   #3
Eternal Member

Well, not quite. You need a ham license to operate on the ham bands...period. Doesn't matter which mode, including digital.

With a properly licenses marine band radio and an operators license, you can operate on the marine bands. This includes email via Pactor modems and one of the commercial providers, such as SailMail ($250 per year).

You can receive weatherfax (WEFAX) using any radio, licensed or not, and a computer with the appropriate software.

The ham bands and the marine bands are interleaved in the MF and HF spectrum, from 1.6mHz thru 30mHz. They're included in amongst lots of other services: aviation, police, emergency, land mobile, etc., etc.

You can use ANY radio on the ham bands, provided you have a valid ham license for operation on the given frequency. You can legally use ONLY an FCC-certificated MF/HF marine radio on the marine bands. And, to transmit on these bands, you need one of several commercial radiotelephone operators permits. Most boaters go for the Restricted Radiotelephone Operators permit....no exam, low cost, good for life. For operation aboard ship, you also need an FCC-issued Station License for the boat. No exam, good for 10 years, costs about $200 these days.

The MF/HF ham bands are: 1.8mHz, 3.5mHz, 5mHz, 7mHz, 10mHz, 14mHz, 18mHz, 21mHz, 24mHz, and 28mHz. Specific segments of each of these are reserved for SSB, CW, digital, FM, and other modes of operation.

The MF/HF marine bands are: 2mHz, 4mHz, 6mHz, 8mHz, 12mHz, 16mHz, 18mHz, 22mHz, 26mHz. These are all for USB and digital operation.

Both ham and marine MF/HF operation have a learning curve. You can't just walk up to an already installed radio and expect to use it efficiently.
But, the learning can be extended over a long period...you don't have to learn everything at once.

Once you DO have some knowledge and familiarity, you'll likely find that SSB -- ham and/or marine -- is a valued asset to have aboard.

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 12:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Well, not quite. You need a ham license to operate on the ham bands...period. Doesn't matter which mode, including digital.

With a properly licenses marine band radio and an operators license, you can operate on the marine bands. This includes email via Pactor modems and one of the commercial providers, such as SailMail ($250 per year).

You can receive weatherfax (WEFAX) using any radio, licensed or not, and a computer with the appropriate software.

The ham bands and the marine bands are interleaved in the MF and HF spectrum, from 1.6mHz thru 30mHz. They're included in amongst lots of other services: aviation, police, emergency, land mobile, etc., etc.

You can use ANY radio on the ham bands, provided you have a valid ham license for operation on the given frequency. You can legally use ONLY an FCC-certificated MF/HF marine radio on the marine bands. And, to transmit on these bands, you need one of several commercial radiotelephone operators permits. Most boaters go for the Restricted Radiotelephone Operators permit....no exam, low cost, good for life. For operation aboard ship, you also need an FCC-issued Station License for the boat. No exam, good for 10 years, costs about $200 these days.

The MF/HF ham bands are: 1.8mHz, 3.5mHz, 5mHz, 7mHz, 10mHz, 14mHz, 18mHz, 21mHz, 24mHz, and 28mHz. Specific segments of each of these are reserved for SSB, CW, digital, FM, and other modes of operation.

The MF/HF marine bands are: 2mHz, 4mHz, 6mHz, 8mHz, 12mHz, 16mHz, 18mHz, 22mHz, 26mHz. These are all for USB and digital operation.

Both ham and marine MF/HF operation have a learning curve. You can't just walk up to an already installed radio and expect to use it efficiently.
But, the learning can be extended over a long period...you don't have to learn everything at once.

Once you DO have some knowledge and familiarity, you'll likely find that SSB -- ham and/or marine -- is a valued asset to have aboard.

Bill
WA6CCA
Hmm. Good information. Not sure what I said that was "not quite" correct though.
Old 17-05-2015, 13:03   #5

Here's a list.. may be outdated...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ham Nets.pdf (518.7 KB, 203 views)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 13:07   #6

Quote:
Well, not quite. You need a ham license to operate on the ham bands...period. Doesn't matter which mode, including digital..,............

Bill
WA6CCA
Well... not quite...... You can "operate", ie: receive weatherfax and listen without a license. and transmit in emergency :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 13:37   #7
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Hmm. Good information. Not sure what I said that was "not quite" correct though.
Pactor is not a ham-only technology. You can use a Pactor modem on the marine bands (with SailMail, etc.) to send/receive email.

Bill
Old 17-05-2015, 13:39   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Pactor is not a ham-only technology. You can use a Pactor modem on the marine bands (with SailMail, etc.) to send/receive email.

Bill
Interesting, then I have been misinformed.

Will Winmor/Winlink work on the marine SSB freqs?
Old 17-05-2015, 13:40   #9
Eternal Member

Here's a good list of both ham band and marine band nets for boaters:

SSB Nets & Frequencies

Bill
Old 17-05-2015, 13:53   #10
Eternal Member

Quote:
Interesting, then I have been misinformed.

Will Winmor/Winlink work on the marine SSB freqs?
Mixed bag.

Winmor is a digital technology which doesn't require a Pactor modem; it uses your computer's sound card. Currently, I believe, it's only useful on the ham bands, since there's no marine shore station using Winmor. At best, Winmor is about as fast as Pactor 2, i.e., nowhere near as fast as Pactor 3 or P4 nor as robust.

WinLink refers to a global messaging system for email over the ham bands, using a network of shore stations worldwide. It can use Pactor modems up to Pactor 3, but not Pactor 4 yet on the ham bands until the FCC rules change, hopefully very soon.

Pactor 4 modems can be used on the commercial marine bands (e.g., with SailMail shore stations so equipped), using software which is nearly identical to that often used in the WinLink system (AirMail). The new fashionable software for the WinLink system is RMS Express, and I understand the WinLink development team has been concentrating on developments and improvements to that system, rather than AirMail. However, I understand that at present RMS Express cannot be used on the marine bands.

Here's a comparison of some of the client software technologies involved:
http://www.winlink.org/ClientSoftware

The technology is constantly evolving, and I'm no expert so take the above with a grain of salt.

Bill
WA6CCA
Old 17-05-2015, 13:59   #11

Boat: Norseman 447

Quote:

You said "you need a ham license to use a pactor modem for email" you don't with Sailmail.

Old 18-05-2015, 08:35   #12

Boat: Leopard 47

A ham license is a very good thing. You will learn what you need to know. The US rules about ham bands is very clear -- required. Except not required in an emergency.

If you want to use HF, then you must practice and test your equipment. It's not as easy as marine VHF. I use SSB - "phone" voice. Since I use computers all day long, I stay away from that new-fangled digital stuff. Do you know the difference between USB and LSB? If you don't choose the right one, you will not communicate.

I recommend the Marine Net on 20 meters at 14.300 Mhz. Visit the net, report in with your call sign, name and location. There is a call to the net every hour on the hour (I don't know about night time.) You will get real help and understand. Keep in mind the idea of "traffic" and "relay". If net control cannot hear you, he will call on others to listen and relay your message and questions. You can get really good weather reports too, and ask for detail for your location.

There are MANY good marine nets.

These guys love this net and really really help mariners in trouble. Really!

band plan for reference Band Plan
Old 18-05-2015, 14:35   #13

A lot of good information!!
Thank you!!!

unanchored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 15:12   #14

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:

Bill
WA6CCA
Can you explain this "learning curve" a little more. I was planning on installing one in a couple of years. My boat must have had one once as there is an Ariel on my mizzen back stay. Others on other threads have suggested the cost is around $5k installed. Is it worth installing from new?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 15:19   #15

Boat: Leopard 47

If you are in any medium-to-large American city, you will be able to find a ham radio club. They will be very happy to help you learn.

You can do this on the web too, but the personal contact is invaluable.

Marine VHF is a selection of two meter frequencies, which are commonly used by hams for local communication. Just turn on the radio, choose a channel and talk.

HF is another matter. I think the best way to learn is to take the "Technician" ham license course. You'll get lots of training for a very low cost. Club radios are often available for free. (Join the club!) You'll also get as much personal help as you can handle. Ask for an "Elmer"!

Try the website Home

Oz