Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2015, 15:16   #61

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: An HF transreceiver on board...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSailor View Post
99% of my ham activity is CW (not counting Pactor email), but its a special challenge when at sea. For me at abt 18 wpm it takes a lot of concentration and when the boat is in a seaway its hard to maintain that concentration! Glad I don't have to depend on it.

I have often fantasized about being dismasted and having all radios flooded and ruined except for my little KX1 backpacking CW rig snug in its own little Pelican case, ready to save the day. Always good to have redundancy!

Chip

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
'Redundancy'? Is that a better word than 'obsolete' John?
Is Morse 'redundant'?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 15:31   #62

Boat: Westerly Sealord

obsolete
ˈɒbsəliːt/Submit
adjective
no longer produced or used; out of date.
"the disposal of old and obsolete machinery"
synonyms: out of date, outdated, outmoded, old-fashioned; More
Old 28-05-2015, 16:58   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Hmm. Good information. Not sure what I said that was "not quite" correct though.
You don't need a Ham license to use a Pactor modem. Clear enough?
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 17:49   #64

Boat: Catalina 470

Rustic Charm,
Perhaps I'm just confusing things...but, I don't see any contradiction in my words...

--- CW is not obsolete....in that it has VERY useful purposes/applications.....yes, still in 2015, there are still uses where CW works and nothing else does....(although there are some VERY SLOW, computer-generated codes/encoding that can operate in similar "negative S/N" environs, this does require PC's/software, etc. and of course patience!! and even then is typically not as reliable, nor as good in extreme environs...)
And, this also means that CW is not redundant.....which would of course mean that it has an easy or exact replacement, which it doesn't...

--- CW is still being used daily by 1000's of radio operators worldwide...

--- However, CW is not widely used by most "cruising sailors"...

Here it is in a list...

1- on most HF ham bands, there is more CW operating/activity nowadays, by a sizable amount, than there was about 10 - 20 years ago...and seems to be continuing to grow...
(hence my words about CW having a growing user base...)

2- although there are more licensed hams these days, than in the past 10 - 20 years, it hasn't been as dramatic as the increase in CW activity...

3- most cruising sailors that use HF radio use SSB Voice or some version of RTTY (such as PACTOR, WINMOR, etc.), and most do not use CW...

4- as the percentage of licensed hams, "cruising sailors" are a very small percentage...so, even though they are a growing user base of mainly SSB Voice and digital-TOR-modes, their statistically low numbers has little impact on the overall "cw" vs. "non-cw" comparisons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
"To be clear, CW is NOT obsolete! Not at all!
And, to be clear it has a growing user base....
But, also to be clear, there aren't too many "cruisers" who use it....some yes, but by percentage it's a small minority"

Seems a little contradictory. You say CW is not obsolete, but then state quite clearly it's virtually obsolete?
I cannot find where I state that it is virtually obsolete...
In fact, I state clearly that it is NOT obsolete...
What do you think the word 'obsolete' means?
I think it means: no longer used, out-of-date, superseded by newer or superior systems, etc. (none of these applies to CW on the ham bands these days....)

Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier....perhaps just like with our friends in the UK, we here in the US are sometimes separated from you all down-under by a common language..

fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 22:00   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Rustic Charm,
Perhaps I'm just confusing things...but, I don't see any contradiction in my words...

--- CW is not obsolete....in that it has VERY useful purposes/applications.....yes, still in 2015, there are still uses where CW works and nothing else does....(although there are some VERY SLOW, computer-generated codes/encoding that can operate in similar "negative S/N" environs, this does require PC's/software, etc. and of course patience!! and even then is typically not as reliable, nor as good in extreme environs...)
And, this also means that CW is not redundant.....which would of course mean that it has an easy or exact replacement, which it doesn't...

--- CW is still being used daily by 1000's of radio operators worldwide...

--- However, CW is not widely used by most "cruising sailors"...

Here it is in a list...

1- on most HF ham bands, there is more CW operating/activity nowadays, by a sizable amount, than there was about 10 - 20 years ago...and seems to be continuing to grow...
(hence my words about CW having a growing user base...)

2- although there are more licensed hams these days, than in the past 10 - 20 years, it hasn't been as dramatic as the increase in CW activity...

3- most cruising sailors that use HF radio use SSB Voice or some version of RTTY (such as PACTOR, WINMOR, etc.), and most do not use CW...

4- as the percentage of licensed hams, "cruising sailors" are a very small percentage...so, even though they are a growing user base of mainly SSB Voice and digital-TOR-modes, their statistically low numbers has little impact on the overall "cw" vs. "non-cw" comparisons...
Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier....perhaps just like with our friends in the UK, we here in the US are sometimes separated from you all down-under by a common language..

fair winds..

John
Unlike our friends in the UK, I find you yanks are very black and white with defining words. I would have thought the term obsolete, exactly indicates what morse codes is. Below is another dictionary definition in addition to your Oxford one.

But, hey, let's not quibble over the word 'obsolete' or 'redundant' and let's just agree then that it's 'no longer In common use'.

adjective
no longer in general use; fallen into disuse:
an obsolete expression.
of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date:
an obsolete battleship.
(of a linguistic form) no longer in use, especially, out of use for at least the past century.
Compare archaic.
effaced by wearing down or away.
Old 28-05-2015, 23:19   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
obsolete
ˈɒbsəliːt/Submit
adjective
no longer produced or used; out of date.
"the disposal of old and obsolete machinery"
synonyms: out of date, outdated, outmoded, old-fashioned; More
yep, there you go. Even by your Oxford dictionary. Pretty much fits the definition of obsolete.

You might keep in mind that 'type writers' also obsolete. You can still buy them, and there are enthusiasts that still use them. But there still obsolete.
Old 29-05-2015, 05:22   #67

Boat: Valiant 42

A thing/idea/skill/etc. should only be considered obsolete when there is something else that can duplicate its needed function so completely that there is no benefit in using what came before. I don't care what Oxford says. They get lots of technical definitions "wrong".

For example, there was one definition that used to make me "crazy" but I don't know if they ever changed it. Webster's used to define an analog watch as one having hands. What a stupid definition that was when there were millions of quartz watches that were entirely digital but used hands to display the time.

Lots of people are told (and repeat) that HF radio is obsolete/dead/useless/etc. And yet there is nothing that can replace the desirable features and capability of HF radio. No system other than HF will allow two people separated by thousands of miles to communicate without the aid of a third party. CW vastly expands the range and/or lowers the cost of that capability.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 06:36   #68

I would not venture off shore without HF .

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 07:19   #69

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm using this website Learn Morse Code with the Morse Crusade | bringing about changes to enhance the morse code experiance to learn morse