Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 18:24   #1

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
Am/fm/tv and or vhf antenna splitter choices

I have the Shakespeare seawatch 3019 tv antenna that I will be installing halfway up my mast, and I also have the Shakespeare 5215-c-x 3' vhf antenna that I will be installing at the mast head. What I'm trying to figure out is which antenna should I split for use as am/fm antenna. I was thinking the vhf since it's higher up, bit the tv antenna is powered so I'm not quit sure. Any suggestions? While the mast is Down (my first time) I'll be putting in bronze chainplates on the hull sides and all standing rigging etc. I also figured I'd rewire my deck light and install the seawatch, aquasignal anchor light, and the vhf antenna, and I haven't pulled the trigger on the signet marine sl254, but since I have the signet base pack and seems to be pretty simple and robust I'll probably be getting the sl254 here in a day or so. Which leads me to my next question; scanmar multi deck gland? Any experience with these? I'll be tapping the wires out the bottom side of the mast and penatrating through the coach roof. Is this the best way? I've seen the "swan neck"as well I'm thinking the deck gland is lower profile. I planing on bringing all wires through the coach roof and making all connections in the cabin. Any advice or experience with these products will be appreciated. Thank you all again.
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:28   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Am/fm/tv and or vhf antenna splitter choices

Our "TV" antenna -- an amplified Glomex omni-directional -- is what feeds our AM/FM radios.

-Chris
Old 09-03-2017, 06:46   #3

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat
Re: Am/fm/tv and or vhf antenna splitter choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastward ho 24 View Post
...have the Shakespeare seawatch 3019 tv antenna ...also have the Shakespeare 5215-c-x 3' vhf antenna ...trying to figure out is which antenna should I split for use as am/fm antenna.
Leave your VHF Marine Band radio antenna alone and connected only to your VHF Marine Band communication radio.

Split the Shakespeare SeaWatch TV antenna for use as an FM Broadcast band antenna. It is designed to do that. The manufacturers says: "When paired with an optional 2-way band separator between the antenna and the amplifier, these antennas can also receive FM radio signals. [Cf.: http://shakespeare-ce.com/marine/wp-...SpecSheet.pdf]

The band separator/splitter/distribution amplifier is about $45.

4360 SeaWatch Marine TV DistributionAmplifier/Band Separator/Power Supply | Shakespeare Marine Antennas
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, vhf