Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2011, 09:30   #1

Boat: Tashiba 36
AM / FM Antenna Choices

I am installing a new stereo this spring and wondered what type of antenna system opitons really work. Will a regular antenna hidden somewhere in the hull work or do you need an external antenna mounted on the rail?

Has anyone tried the Shakespeare splitter that allows you to attach both the VHF radio and AM/FM to the same masthead antenna? How did it work?
sparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 10:42   #2

Boat: Carter offshore 35
Re: AM/FM Antenna choices

I have an FM antenna tucked behihd some junk on a shelf inside the boat. Seems to work just fine. Of course since I'm getting stations I don't know what I'm missing. You might want to google how to make an FM antenna. I did this for a digital TV antenna. I just made it and I know it really works good. It is ugly but cost less than $10 to make. Just google digital hanger tv antenna
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 10:43   #3

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: AM/FM Antenna choices

I use the Shakespeare splitter and it works fine. My vhf seems to have the same strength, based on how I use it, and I do get good reception on FM. Prior to the splitter I used the old Sat-Nav antennae.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 21:52   #4

Re: AM / FM Antenna Choices

I installed the Shakespeare 4350 AM/FM 3' foot antennae. It comes w/ a carbonate lift and lay mount. Can't remember where online I bought, but was less than $40.00 less shipping. Pulls in everything I need.
rcdelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:22   #5

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Re: AM / FM Antenna Choices

My boat had a Shakespeare FM band splitter in line with the VHF radio antenna. I can't tell you how much it may or may not have affected the VHF radio receive or transmit strength. Properly designed I think it shouldn't make very much difference, but there will be some insertion loss - though it may be small. I removed it just to take one more variable out of the loop.

To replace it, I used a simple dipole mounted in the cabin behind the panel. These are easy to make, or very cheap to buy and can be found in many places. Reception may not be quite as good with the little dipole, and will be more directional, but in practical use I find little difference.

Chip
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna