Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 12:02   #1

Boat: John Traylor - Cutter Rigged Sloop - 65'
All New Electronics - Feedback Needed....

Greetings sailors!
We are creating our wish list for outfitting our 94' custom cutter rigged sloop. I was in west marine and we narrowed our needs down to the following units made by Garmin.

Garmin VHF200
Garmin GMR 18HD
Garmin GPS Map 4210
Garmin AIS 600

Interphase color Twinscope SE. (to install on next haul-out)

Already Purchased & needs installing:
Tacktick 104
Xantrex freedom 20 inverter charger
Blueseas AC/DC distribution panel unit # 8095
AC Main + 8 Positions/DC Main + 29 Positions - PN 8095 - Blue Sea Systems

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments to make regarding their experience, install or alternative options to the above units.

Thanks a bunch....
Matt
MoonlightSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:35   #2

94ft?

It's hard to tell from your post whether cost, helm configuration, or previous experience is driving your choices. There's a lot of strongly held opinions on this board about Furuno vs. Raymarine vs. Garmin. I think they are all quite good compared to anything you could get five years ago.

I would not choose your electronics setup by what you can see at a West Marine store. You don't say where you located, but this week is the boat show">Miami Boat show. It would be well worth a plane ticket to compare the systems "hands on". The user interfaces are quite different. You also will get excellent and accurate information from the factory reps in the booths.

I think you'll find the 10" chartplotter small. Can't see much of the chart. I'd go to 12". Garmin has just announced a new line of chartplotters with greatly improved speed (not that the old ones were slow) - the 6212 is the comparable model. It ships in Q1. If the old ones are good enough for you, this may provide some good discounts too.

The Xantrax charger is unusually small for such a big boat, but there are just too many variables to consider in this type of forum (battery capacity, 12v vs. 24v, genset, solar/wind). All the parts need to fit together (for example - a 20 amp charger would take over 24 hours to charge a 50% used 1000 amp/hr battery bank.

I would hire a good marine electrician to help you with this. Mistakes can be expensive, frustrating, and actually deadly.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 15:52   #3

Carl,

Thanks, but no thanks...65 feet is enough to maintain...:-) We have a custom 65' pilot house. There's an additional outside helm aft of the pilothouse. Nav station is port of the pilot house down a few steps. We have a marine electrician on the hook. Solar panels are in the future plan. We have 2 Trojan EV8D rated at 210AH each = 420AH (12volt)
Old 08-02-2010, 16:07   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightsailor View Post
Greetings sailors!
We are creating our wish list for outfitting our 94' custom cutter rigged sloop.
Think this is where the confusion came from.

Have you looked at the Standard Horizon VHF/AIS Reciever

Bull's-Eye or Near Miss? | MadMariner.com

I would also look into what charts you are going to want to use and where you are using the boat. If you are keeping the boat in one area then the Garmin charts are fine but once you start jumping from area to area the charts get expensive. For Example I kept my boat in Sydney BC. The charts cost me about $250 for Puget Sound and then another $250 to get up to Desolation Sound and then as I came down the coast it was another $250 to get from Oregon to California and then again for Mexico. I was able to get some used charts but look carefully about which charts are best for your area before choosing you Plotter b/c in buying a Garmin you are stuck with their charts and if those are not accurate for the areas you are cruising your are SOL.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 16:49   #5

I have heard this regarding electronic charts and it is a valid concern. We do plan to circumnavigate in the equitorial and tropical regions to begin with. Other than someones "opinion", is there a unbiased guide that states what is best to get depending on what area one is to sail?
Old 08-02-2010, 17:13   #6

C-map, Alaskan arctic to Pamama, Carribean, Bahamas, $275 US. for all on Mega Wide format. Standard Horison has some good chart plotters. I have the CP300I. Big bang for the bucks all the way around.
saben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 18:06   #7

Boat: S2 35c
I am with saben c-maps give a lot of bang for the buck . Standard Horizon Plotters are great , 5 year warranty and easy to interface Had a CP300I and now a CP350 with the built in VHF, Standard is compatible with Koden/Sitex radar also a lot of bang for the buck, mine works great, radar goes to the plotter at the helm and the laptop below. Sounds like a lot of good gear . A bigger charger is not required unless you want to charge quicker at the dock. I have a similar arrangement and it charges just fine.
Maggie-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 18:38   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-K View Post
I am with saben c-maps give a lot of bang for the buck . Standard Horizon Plotters are great , 5 year warranty and easy to interface Had a CP300I and now a CP350 with the built in VHF, Standard is compatible with Koden/Sitex radar also a lot of bang for the buck, mine works great, radar goes to the plotter at the helm and the laptop below. Sounds like a lot of good gear . A bigger charger is not required unless you want to charge quicker at the dock. I have a similar arrangement and it charges just fine.
Another reason you might want a bigger charger is if you charge your batteries with agenerator. I do this so I maxed out the amperage on my chargers to match the amperage on my generator.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote