Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 21:06   #1

Boat: '70 Soverel 33 (v.1)
Alfa WiFi Booster on a Mac

Thought I'd try an Alfa AWUSO36H as an interim solution. Running or attempting to run it under OS X 10.5.2Installation seemed to go fine and the Realtek WLAN utility that apeared in my Dock says I'm connected to an open signal (that I have used before using the built-in airport hardware/software) but I get only "you are not connected to the Internet" messages from my browser.Any advice from those with more experience? Will this Alfa work w/ 10.5.2?Thanks
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 22:34   #2

Boat: Baba 35
Is this a Macbook?

I also noticed that you are running 10.5.2. There have been a couple free system updates since then, some of which address WiFi issues.

Can you post your system specs?
Which Alfa drivers are you using? v1.5.1?
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 22:39   #3

just to toss this in here, i've been using a 32' usb cable i scored off amazon with pretty good results (with the alfa)

Rebel Heart - Sailing, cruising, liveaboard blog and website - Eric's Blog - long range wifi for the*boat
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 00:19   #4

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
We use a Quickertek with our MacBook. I'm happy with it.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:52   #5

Boat: '70 Soverel 33 (v.1)
OK, for specs..... uhhhh OS 10.5.2 running on a MacBook (Intel core 2 duo). What else is there that is relevant... I realize there are upgrades to 10.5.2 but I chose to try the Alpha on this laptop since I hadn't yet upgraded and thought I had read somewhere (the Alpha site??) that chances were better with a slightly older version of the Mac OS. I also thought I had read of some Mac users on CF that reported happy times with an Alpha. I didn't go for the longer USB cable or auxiliary antenna for the moment because this was just a trial.

Thanks,
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 09:33   #6

Boat: Maine Cat 41
I don't have the Alpha with me, so I can't remember all the exact steps, but you have to "enable" the connection by opening up "System Preferences" and then "Network"...from there my memory is too fuzzy for the next steps.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 05:12   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
Hi,

To start with, yes, The Alfa will work on your Mac.

Do you have the latest drivers from Realtek? I would not try to use the ones from the CD as they are typically quite old.

You do need to "Enable" the adapter on the Mac. This is simply a matter of going into your Network Prefs page, selecting the Alfa, and clicking on the "Apply" button. It sounds like you already did this though or the Realtek Utility will not show any networks to connect to.

If the Alfa seems to connect, but you are not getting online, check your IP addresses as well. This is also shown on the Network Prefs page. If the IP address starts with a "169.", it is not a valid IP address and something is still not correct.

This could be an issue on the Access Points side also. Try to use it with another network you know is OK with your Airport as well.

I can give more specific help if you want to PM me.

Mark
kiltym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 16:27   #8

Boat: Considering options
Re: Alfa WiFi Booster on a Mac

Hi Mark - do you know if you can get the Alpha working on a Mac Air running on Maverick? Grateful for any advice you have. If so, where would I find the drivers and do I have to 'enable' or disable anything on my Mac to make it work? Thanks Sue
Awesome Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 16:38   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Grandma View Post
Hi Mark - do you know if you can get the Alpha working on a Mac Air running on Maverick? Grateful for any advice you have. If so, where would I find the drivers and do I have to 'enable' or disable anything on my Mac to make it work? Thanks Sue
Technically you can, but in general I would not recommend it.

You need to run your Mac in 32 bit mode for the drivers to work (you can google "boot mac 32bit" and you should get some instructions from Apple), which means starting your Mac a special way anytime you want to use the 036H adapter, which is not really a great solution. You need to boot into 32 bit mode to install the drivers, as well as use them.

I would look for something wireless so you don't have to worry about installing drivers or running cables to your computer. That way your computer simply connects to a local WiFi network that then connects to a remote network.

Apple changes things a lot, and in turn, a lot of driver manufacturers (like Realtek), give up support after a period of time as it's too much work. That being said, the drivers will work if you are determined enough to use them.
Old 14-09-2014, 17:24   #10

Boat: Considering options

Thanks Mark. I hear you. I don't want to mess about that much each time. Can you make any suggestions on what device would be user friendly (for more than one user on the boat) and not cost an arm and a leg? I've seen the bad boys, they are too expensive for me. Thanks again Sue
Awesome Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 15:19   #11

Boat: Beneteau 40

Im using a AWUS036NHR with OX 10.9.4 and have no problem getting it to work with my Macbook Air. I don't have to do any special 32 bit booting.

Several suggestions:

1. Make sure you have downloaded the Mac version driver at the Alfa Network site.
2. Does the Ralink icon show up when you plug in the adaptor? If so make sure the wifi is turned on when you click on the icon.
3. Make sure you turn off you Mac's internal wifi.

Hope this helps. I'm real happy with the reception it gets.
MI248 is offline   Reply With Quote