Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2014, 05:06   #16
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Alarming Questions!

Thanks guys. Yes not the best system. I have Lagoon replacing the check valves this week. See if that helps. Definately an alarm is the way to go. Problem with the shower running to the bilge is its soapy water and it builds a soapy film on the bilge pumps contacts so it doesn't go off when required. I met those guys here on the 400 Kenny. Problem was someone closed the bilge outlet seacock so the water had nowhere to go except the bilge.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 06:03   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You guys may laugh, but one of these placed in a bilge area that normally never get wet will work. I wouldn't use one instead of a proper high water alarm, but high water alarms work off ships power, and a truly paranoid person (me) likes having an independently powered alarm, besides $10 and no installation?

Amazon.com: zircon water leak detector
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 13:29   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
One other question on bilge pumps, ours runs about 12 inches to a check valve, then T's with the shower waste before being sent overboard. I have noticed when we use the showers (both sides) a small amount of water flows back through the check valve and into the bilge (maybe 1 litre per shower) Is that normal, or should check valves stop ALL water returning? I don't like the system as I prefer keep the bilges bone dry so I can monitor for any leaks. This system is ensuring there will always be some water in the bilge and the bilge pump will have to run occasionally to clear some of that water. The keels have been filled with a small sump space left for the bilge pump which holds approximately 10l of water. The most the pump can evacuate is about 9 litres, leaving a 1cm deep puddle in the sump.
Absolutely no shower water should drain into the bilge. This will ensure over time that the pump will get jammed with hair and soapy skuz and stop working. Maybe just as you need it. It will also start to smell. Cleaning up that last bit of water is always a bear. A good sponge or a small suction hand pump or turkey baster will work. Then keep your bilge dry.

Relying on check valves when you are dealing with soapy water with grease and hair is like putting your thumb in the leaking dike. Might work for a little while but it is folly. I would complain loudly to Lagoon if I were you. You really need two separate through hull fittings with proper vented loops.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 01:50   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks for the feedback guys. Based on your advice I have:

connected the shower directly overboard through a dedicated through hull with a ventilated loop so the bilge pump now has just the one pipe running directly overboard, still through the check valve.

Adder piezo buzzers to both bilge pumps so I am alerted when they are running.

Hopefully this will resolve a pretty dodgy design.

Thanks again
Monte
monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm