Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 02:43   #1

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .
Boat: SHEARWATER 39.
AIS Transponders

After a recent Trans-Atlantic crossing l have decided to install an AIS transponder . We have the EASY AIS receiver which works really well in conjunction with our Raymarine E-SERIES chartplotter . At this stage l am not too sure what is involved with adding a transponder to our existing system and would like some suggestions as to what options are available to us . I would appreciate any input .
ALLAN WARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:07   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: AIS TRANSPONDERS .

Transponders are basically stand-alone radios that have communication outputs to connect to other things like a chart plotter. So installation should be straight-forward (not taking into account the tedium of wire runs, etc).

You will need to decide whether you want to use a separate VHF antenna or use a splitter to share your existing antenna. Perhaps your current receiver installation already resolves that choice for you.

Then pick a unit - you will have choices as to a "black box" type or one with a display, NMEA2000 in addition to 0183 or not (they all have 0183), WiFi or not, etc.

Then it will be a matter of buying the unit, connecting power and the antenna, and connecting the NMEA output to your chartplotter. Most likely, that will involve simply disconnecting the two wires from your current AIS and connecting the two wires from the new AIS in their place.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

bear in mind also for your unit to work as a transmitter of ais information,you will also need to have a ship station vhf licence,then you can apply for a mmsi number if you do not already have this.
also you will probably have to get a sd card programed by the makers of the unit with your mmsi number and yacht details on it for it to work as a transmitter and reciever.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:32   #4

Boat: Perry 41

I got a Watchmate 850 by Vesper marine and am very happy with it. I have it hooked up to my e series display too. Their new one has Wi-Fi and a color screen. Not too expensive either, got mine on defender.
patr1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 23:09   #5

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

If you want the best, the vesper xb8000 is IMO the best there is (for a box solution, no screen). If you look on here re AIS, many users agree.

Yes, i sell them, but others as well. Have a look at my website, and I can help you with the pros and cons of all the units I have available, from budget to best...

But, I can't compete with Defender's prices.

Matt
Old 04-11-2014, 23:56   #6

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

XB-8000 AIS transponder with built-in WiFi and NMEA 2000 Gateway
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:43   #7

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN WARD View Post
...would like some suggestions as to what options are available...
Here is a round-up of available Class-B AIS Transponders:

continuousWave: Whaler: Reference: AIS Class-B Transponder Round Up

The article contains hyperlinks to manufacturer web pages for more details.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:46   #8

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

I installed a GARMIN AIS 600. It has a built in antenna splitter, NEMA 2000. Of course if you prefer, you can hook it to a separate antenna, but I have had no problems at all with the splitter interfering with the VHF. It has been trouble free...

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Garmin-A...0.htm?click=19
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:07   #9

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .
Boat: SHEARWATER 39.

First of all , many thanks for all your replies .

Secondly , l have a Ships Radio License so that won't be an issue .

Lastly , l will be in contact regarding my options in doing my research as it appears there are a number of products out there . My existing EASY AIS receiver has a splitter so first prize would be to incorporate as much of my existing system if its viable .

We found that during our crossing we could see every ship within range on our system , but a 40ft sailboat in breaking seas was almost invisible to almost all the shipping we encountered even after giving the approaching vessel our co-ords .
ALLAN WARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:56   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

You want your AIS transponder to be stand alone. You want it on its own fuse and antenna and to not be dependent on another system to make it work. Personally, I would not split the antenna on something this important.

I would get a Class A system so as not to risk getting filtered out or taken less seriously by the mate on watch on a ship. On my system Class A and B show as two different colors and there is the ability to filter out Class B although I never do this myself. Some mates might consider filtering out Class B vessels when there are a number of Class A vessels that they have to stay focused on.

I don't see the cost advantage of a Class B system as worth the compromise.

Many AIS systems have a control head that shows a basic idea of what is around you in case your primary nav display has a failure.

I have a Furuno FA-150 system but it is probably more than most people want to spend on an AIS system.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:15   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I don't know of any AIS unit that is dependent on another system to work. Unless you mean choice of display - they all have their own internal GPS and separate power. For display, I wouldn't worry about a black box AIS dependent on an external display because the choice of those is almost endless - computer, tablet, phone, VHF, chartplotter, etc. In fact, a black box provides more redundancy than a dedicated display.

Class A begins outside the budget of many recreational and cruising boaters. Yes, it has more power (and uses more power), so if that is really critical then it is a good choice.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:19   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't know of any AIS unit that is dependent on another system to work. Unless you mean choice of display - they all have their own internal GPS and separate power. For display, I wouldn't worry about a black box AIS dependent on an external display because the choice of those is almost endless - computer, tablet, phone, VHF, chartplotter, etc. In fact, a black box provides more redundancy than a dedicated display.

Class A begins outside the budget of many recreational and cruising boaters. Yes, it has more power (and uses more power), so if that is really critical then it is a good choice.

Mark
Yes...choice of display. You want the redundancy in case of display failure. You also want a dedicated AIS antenna...in my opinion. Why add a potential failure point, (a splitter) to an extremely important system?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:36   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

I highly recommend the Vesper units. We installed an Amec Camino and have been very disappointed with the unit. The "matching" antenna splitter had to be removed due to poor performance. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:48   #14

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
...We installed an Amec Camino and have been very disappointed with the unit...
You should mention which model. AMEC has a newer model 108.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:10   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

+1 on the Vesper. I bought the XB-8000. I don't need the display, but I wanted NMEA 2000 so my MFD and any future items I buy will be able to receive the data.

As a bonus, it also outputs on NMEA 0183, which I'll send to my backup radio.

The ability to also broadcast select NMEA data over its own internal WiFi router was just gravy. I don't have an iPhone, but I hear OpenCPN can accept this data, so with my laptop I have robust, independent electronic navigation even if I lose the whole flybridge and NMEA 2000 network.

I would have preferred a built-in antenna, rather than the external one, but it worked out because now I have more flexibility in where to mount it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais