Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2019, 16:42   #1

Boat: Amel 50
AIS Transmitting Stopped

I have a B&G NAIS 500 transceiver with. NSPL 500 antenna splitter. A few months ago I put the system in silent mode (connected the light green and orange wires) to save battery power. Now it’s back in transmit mode but the vessel remains invisible (reports last update as several months ago). Everything appears OK per the usual manuals. Any thoughts on how to begin transmitting positon information again? Thanks!
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:45   #2

Re: AIS Transmitting Stopped

Yiu need to get the software and USB cable.

Then you can see which mode it’s in , If it has gps pos, and if the ant vsr is ok
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:30   #3

Thank you. Do you know if that software is available for Mac computers? The manual says yes but it’s not visible on the B&G website.
Old 07-07-2019, 15:16   #4

Update: Connected NAIS500 to computer as suggested by smac999 and ran system configuration. Everything appears normal (good GPS signal, all parameters correct, etc.) except the log shows many messages received and zero transmitted as suspected. Not sure what else to try other than call dealer for a warranty replacement.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:59   #5

Although this post didn't get much attention, here's the epilogue in case anyone runs into similar problems. Rereading the diagnosis from the system configurator software, I noticed that, although the GPS was operating well, the NAIS 500 reported not having a GPS fix. I rebooted the transceiver and some time later it started transmitting again. Why it stopped in the first place remains a mystery, but the dealer said rebooting often solves it.
Old 20-02-2020, 12:59   #6

Hi,
I have similar problem. How are you rebooting the NAIS ? By shutting down the main DC switch of the boat ? Tks.
yeri60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 09:08   #7

Hi.

I'm having the same issue. I removed the power from the NAIS and the transmit light is still not blinking or coming on at all.
aelyafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 09:18   #8

Boat: Lancer 27PS

AIS I would think is like the Distress Button on your radio. If you do not have a GPS coordinate, it cannot report where you are. So it will not transmit. I suspect you solved the issue with the reboot in order to lock a location coordinate.

Interesting that you put the AIS in sleep mode, but when you woke it, it did not lock onto the GPS data stream. Was your GPS also asleep (meaning, is it part of the physical AIS receiver)? If so, then the problem is the GPS takes longer to find and lock onto satellites if the database in the unit is out of date. The GPS can calculate where the satellite might be with the old ephemeris data, but to get a lock it has to have the exact data + frequency + Doppler shift.

Maybe when you woke the AIS, it did not notify the GPS to get to work. LOL
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 09:42   #9

I just unplugged the power, replugged it and it seems to transmit now.
Old 19-07-2020, 09:47   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelyafi View Post
I just unplugged the power, replugged it and it seems to transmit now.

Many, many issues are solved by powering off and on.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 10:07   #11

Usually I hit them... But hitting doesn't seem to work any more lol
Old 23-07-2020, 13:39   #12

Sorry, but I think something like that is unfit for purpose. I'm so sick of junk software. Turn it off and back on again is code for "the software has bugs and we aren't going to fix them".
Old 29-11-2020, 14:20   #13

This is a well known issue. I am on my second unit for this problem and it still does it occasionally. It has been working for the last months.
However, now have a completely new problem, after installing the last firmware update as per instructions, the whole unit refuses to start up again after it successfully updated the software. This unit is not very solid state I think.
Berry Zondag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 05:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry Zondag View Post
This is a well known issue. I am on my second unit for this problem and it still does it occasionally. It has been working for the last months.
However, now have a completely new problem, after installing the last firmware update as per instructions, the whole unit refuses to start up again after it successfully updated the software. This unit is not very solid state I think.
That’s interesting. I just upgraded the firmware and, like yours, the unit wouldn’t power up at all. I finally replaced it after extensive troubleshooting. Now the new unit powers up and receives, but it refuses to get a GPS fix and transmit! I’m losing confidence in this product.

Tags
ais